ArboristSite.com Sponsors

181se idling too high

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by andrewspens, Oct 22, 2007.

1. andrewspens

andrewspens ArboristSite Operative

I just put a carb kit in my newest project, a Husky 181se. It cuts fine and accelerates okay. The problem is that when I start it up, it idles high enough to make the chain run pretty fast. Even after giving the throttle a little kick to get it out of high idle, like my other saws. I have the idle screw turned out to where it doesn't even touch the carb levers anymore. Any suggestions?

2. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Addicted to ArboristSite

Check for bound linkage

Or make sure no air leaks around carb boot, and any impulse line is back in place

3. FXST

FXST ArboristSite Lurker

did it idle high before the carb kit, and why did you put carb kit in it? sorry I asked.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  4. stevethekiwi

stevethekiwi Addicted to ArboristSite

check L jet adjustment is correct also

5. Griffbm3

Griffbm3 AboristSite Guru

My 2100 behaved the same way...

My old 2100 behaved the same way. As a little test, it would idle high, spin the chain, and I lowered it into some wood, it would shoot down to a "normal" idle under slight load, and cut fine. However, out of the wood it would slowly rise up to a high idle with a "different" thinner tone for a sound. Also had the idle screw all the way out. When I changed the crank seals, it never happened again, and I was able to set the screws without any hassle. Not trying to doomsday it, but crank seals aren't that bad to do...

Just 2 more cents to throw into the pile.

Jason

6. andrewspens

andrewspens ArboristSite Operative

Update

okay, I fiddled with my saw for a bit after work tonight. It idles high enough for the chain to spin only for the first 10-15 seconds, then settles down after a little throttle action. I just have to remember to watch the chain when I start it up cold.

Anybody know the oiler settings for this thing?

7. stevethekiwi

stevethekiwi Addicted to ArboristSite

sounds to me like...

you have a very small air leak somewhere. as the saw warms up the material of wherever the leak is expands and seals the gap. I have had crank seals and welch plugs do this before on different saws. pressure test carb and crankcase when cold, double check carb kit installed correctly... did u replace the welch plugs when you put the kit in?

while your pulling things apart, check the metering lever height is correct....:givebeer: