1st pair of spikes? Which ones on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treetipper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to get my first pair of spikes. I use my boss gear but he's got all cheap old stuff. New to climbing. Any suggestions would be helpful

Buckingham steel spikes with opscal pads or climb right aluminum with their ultra lights.

The buckingham are heavier but will probobly last longer than you

The climb rights are lighter but will probobly take less of a beating

Ok cool I'm looking for I'm on eBay right now. I'm also betting on a weaver D wide harness do you know anything about this? I'm looking to get a used harness in good condition

That harness is likely to be a big disappointment to you. If you can't afford the highend harnesses, that's fine, but you will suffer miserably in the lowend ones. There are tough, long lasting ones that are comfortable and priced decent... perhaps the best of the midrange ones is the Buckinham Deluxe Master. If I'm on spurs doing removals, it's still my preferred harness, in spite of having others that cost a lot more. Lots of attachment options, easy to customize, and built to last ten years, not three.

That harness is likely to be a big disappointment to you. If you can't afford the highend harnesses, that's fine, but you will suffer miserably in the lowend ones. There are tough, long lasting ones that are comfortable and priced decent... perhaps the best of the midrange ones is the Buckinham Deluxe Master. If I'm on spurs doing removals, it's still my preferred harness, in spite of having others that cost a lot more. Lots of attachment options, easy to customize, and built to last ten years, not three.
How about the Buckingham arbormaster? Looking at a used 1. Waiting to see the size

I like my old Bashlin Aluminium spikes. Don't know how many sets of pads that have been on them. They were hand me downs from my Dad. Mid 60's vintage. He got his money's worth out of them, then gave them to me. Used them up till last November, haven't looked at them since, Joe.

Like JeffGu said, those Weaver 4 D wide backs will put a hurting on you. Invest in something a little more comfortable. Like wise with your gaff pads.

2 thing never buy used. Rope and saddle. You don't know how it was taken care of previously. Used spurs are ok if they're in good shape but I would buy all new straps.

I got a pair of steel bucks and a pair of old bashlins from one of my pole climber buddies gave me bucks 250 bashlins free lol

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

If you haven't already bought them I would recommend before buying spikes, find a retailer that sells all the major brands or go to a couple of different places if nrccessary and actually try the major brands on. See how they fit and feel .
Many years years ago when I started lineman training I was told to buy Klien spikes because they were the best so I did. BIG MISTAKE! I have prominent ankle bones and by the afternoon of the first day using them every step up a pole was agony and that was while I was wearing my Navy Jump boots. Tried everything i could think of , only thing that helped at all ended up being putting knee pads on my calfs then strapping calf pad over kneepads to angle spike shaft a little away from leg then wearing three pairs of thick wool socks. Even with all that a week and a half into the job I was about to quit because I was in such pain, when a splicer from another crew noticed the knee pads when we were eating lunch and knew immediately what my problem was. He told me he had the same problem and showed me how his Bashlins curved out a little right where the ankle bone is, said "go buy a set, you'll be fine" which would have been more relieving had I not had to borrow money to buy the gear I had! Anyway, long story short (lol, I know TOO LATE) About three days later I sold those hooks to a new hire for like $25.00 less than I paid for them. I immediately bought the Bashlins and loved them. Everybody's Anatomy differs somewhat it's always good to try on the available tools and see what feels comfortable to you. I haven't climbed in years, but for the years I was I never used any other brand so I'm not real familiar with the others but I've got a buddy I trained years ago who's still climbing and he swears by his Buckinghams. I do know that now Bashlin even offers slightly curved shafts and offset shanks as options to better conform to different anatomy's and climbing styles.
Just wanted to point out that properly cared for, your hooks will serve you well for years and as they're not exactly cheap it makes sense to invest in a set you'll be comfortable in and happy with. Welcome to the industry, good luck and happy climbing, brother.

I started out with Klein's with the el cheapo L uppers, then el cheapo T uppers. Used them for years. Yeah, they weren't overly comfortable.
Long story short - I'm still using my Klein's (the last 20 years or so with caddy pads - Opsals). Kinda grown attached to them. Gaffs, straps, pads have been replaced on them a number of times.

Like Chuck C said above, I have Kleins that I bought used from a guy who wrapped padding around the shanks, but even still I feel my ankle bones getting crunched sometimes.

I have the padded cast aluminum "Caddy" pads on mine. Before I added them to replace the leather T-pads up top it was near torture to climb on gaffs. I believe it was like $75 for the Caddy pads, but it was the best $75 I ever spent.

And yes, get a good saddle. You're looking at long-term investment here, and you'll thank yourself every minute you're up in the tree for outfitting yourself right.

I'll second that a saddle is a better investment than spikes. every minute you spend on spikes you will be in your harness, not the other way around.
Best bang for the buck saddle is the buckingham rebellion, imo.
It takes more than good pads to make spikes comfortable, boots are more than half the equation.

Back