2-man saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping in the future to add to this thread. I'm rebuillding a Mac 99. I also have the posthole auger attachment. I will post some pics of it up.
Just wondering if anyone has info on the auger.......how much oil goes in the case/ what type of oil? I was thinking of 90w gear oil, but thought I'd better check.

OK I mostly just absorb information here but I actually need a bit of help or direction on this project. Please forgive my long post just filling in a bit of back story thought this would be the best place for questions.

My grandfather in-law run's and own a mill and has for 70 years or so. We were down visiting this weekend and found out he and my grandmother in-law are deteriorating rapidly in health with cancer and other issues. He and I have always gotten along very well because I love the mill, saw, lumber, and anything involved in that industry all of his children want no part of it other than the funds it brought in all these years. He took me up to one of his many barns that was built in WWII to get some old items for my wife to decorate with. Sitting in the corner was a Disston/Mercury DA-211 complete. I about fell over, I asked him about it, he said he bought two of them new back when he was felling timber and they were put in the barn when he started just running the mill. One of his sons took one several years ago and traded it to a saw shop so it is long gone. He couldn't believe somebody actually thought it was interesting to hear about he old saws and was absolutely happy to stand in 100 degree barn for two hours talking about them. Long story short, he told me to take the saw so it would be with somebody who wouldn't throw it on a scrap pile when he's gone. So I got the complete saw the bow attachment, extra bar extra head and handle and a chain. I haven't done anything with the saw yet, the bow attachment is in decent shape and has been repaired a few times because of heavy use.

I am really wanting to get this saw running and maybe even restored before something happens to him so he can see it run again. His entire life has been in the timber industry so seeing a piece of his history come back to life would really make him happy after seeing what just talking about it did. Fortunately this idea was my wife's so there will not be any issues with the $$ and time to get this project started. I will get pics as soon as I can of all the part and saw, what should I start with and what should I not do to get this project started? Any help is appreciated.

I would pull it all apart and go through it. With something that old, you have no idea what's right and what's not. Most parts are EXTREMELY scarce, so you don't want to damage anything by trying to run it with a problem.

More than likely, both coils will be bad. They are still available. The piston rings are available through Hastings. You'll have to make your own gaskets.

Good luck with it!

Disston DA-211:

Thanks, I will get those parts ordered never hurts to have extras, I'm a pb blaster fan, am I going to be OK soaking everything on this saw before I take anything apart, I'm sure gallons of leaded fuel have been dumped on it over the years but can't be to careful.

what should I start with and what should I not do to get this project started? Any help is appreciated.

First thing to do before you tear it apart is pull the plugs and PB the cylinders and check it for spark and compression. If you got spark then clear the cylinders by cranking fast and then shoot some premix down the plug holes and see if it fires. Next step is add fuel to tank and see if the carb will pull gas and idle. I often will run a saw just on the squirt can at a higher rpm while waiting for the carb to pull the gas through. Higher revs can help dislodge gunk and aid the dry diaphragms on some saws. I also like to lube the starter cords so they slide easy. Never rebuilt one but have had about 8 of them so far.

Sawbones, that is pretty straight forward, I guess they are made a bit more robust than the saws of today. I will get to it this weekend

Sawbones, that is pretty straight forward, I guess they are made a bit more robust than the saws of today. I will get to it this weekend

Robust you say? reminds me of these kids today whining about a couple extra pounds difference tween one saw and another.

The 211 weighs about 65 pounds with the 36" bar. Check out my channel and the 500 lb V8 saws.

Does this count as a 2 man. In the Acres description it's listed as one man operation, I think I'd like to have someone on the other end. But, as a kid, I remember sending our DA211 up trees and my Dad used it as a one man saw. Then again, I think Dad was a better man than me. Anyhow, just got this at a farm and equipment auction for $69, Joe.

Hi guys! I'm new to this site, found it when I was looking for info on this Disston DA-211. This saw was purchased by my uncle in the 50's from an army surplus store. He planned on using the engine to power a small ice boat. My father and grandfather used it for about 45 minutes to cut down a large tree. To my father's knowledge, it hadn't been used since. Back in the early 90's I put fuel in it and started it. It ran on one cylinder, but after replacing the spark plugs, it ran fine. I ran it out fuel and it sat until last weekend.

It started right up after filling it with fresh fuel. I used 30 wt oil mixed with gas, per the instructions, but is it ok to use modern 2 stroke oil mix?

I put in wood for the first time, it settled right in and ran great. I'm hoping to find some chisel chain for it.

072.JPG
073.JPG
074.JPG
075.JPG
076.JPG

Back