2 saw plan - which Stihl to run besides a 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked the 361 going from your comments and the weight-power and saw it as a perfect upgrade but the dealer was really convincing and spontaneous in his reaction. 4 from 5 back with carburetor and ignition problems.

That could be due to one single bad batch of carbs......:)

...but a 440 and a 260 sounds just fine, if they have to be Stihls.

Last edited:
@ Sawtroll

To answer your question...

Yes, It has to be a Stihl

Before i get kicked here let me explain why

1. 90% of the dealers here are stihl only
2. Husky and Jonsored you can buy in Wallmart type of stores and olnly the home owner series
3. i have a sentimental bond with stihl. My first stihl product was the 024 and it continued with an FS250, the BT121, SH55 and then the 190. None of them caused me any trouble so far (except of being stolen :cry: )

I am not familiar with the other brands but am sure they also have their good and better types. It's just that their color doesnt match the rest of my toolshed... ;-)

Who said things have to be rational anyway?:)

Not a die hard fan, just a satisfied customer.

I was not aware of a 2 saw plan that didn't include a 440.:clap:

440:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Um, the 440 is no longer listed or sold by Stihl in the USA though. I know, because I bought one of the last ones available here in OR a month ago.

BTW: It and everything else that they sell now will be gone in 2010. Even the all mighty 361 will be banished to history.

260 Pro. Love mine. I'm on the 5-saw plan, and had to have a small light saw. Mine did quite well through some 18" hickory with the 16" bar & muffler mod fresh out of the box.

@ Sawtroll

To answer your question...

Yes, It has to be a Stihl

Before i get kicked here let me explain why

1. 90% of the dealers here are stihl only
2. Husky and Jonsored you can buy in Wallmart type of stores and olnly the home owner series
3. i have a sentimental bond with stihl. My first stihl product was the 024 and it continued with an FS250, the BT121, SH55 and then the 190. None of them caused me any trouble so far (except of being stolen :cry: )

I am not familiar with the other brands but am sure they also have their good and better types. It's just that their color doesnt match the rest of my toolshed... ;-)

Who said things have to be rational anyway?:)

Not a die hard fan, just a satisfied customer.

440 and 260 it is then, the only gripe is that both designs are from way back in the 1980s, and lacking in some respects like anti-vibe, air filtration and engine engeneering (two channel designs) - but they sure are dependable saws that will last a long time. :)

This forum is way to fast for my reading.... Great!

Sawtroll,

I would like to go a little deeper into your remark about the 80's design.

Back home when i was a small boy... etc so talking 80's, my father had a McCullogh. We used to have yearly truckloads of oak, talking 3ft and about 40ft length. The saw had a 20'' bar so basically a lot of cutting and then breaking as we were simply not able to cut through completely.

This saw was working for our firewood minimal 10 years, never serviced. Chain oil was cutting oil (the stuff used in metal cutting and threading), the bar was never replaced etc etc I remember minimum 3 years it was cutting without the damper as that one broke of one day. Just to show how my father believes maintenance is waste of money.

In any case, this 80's design still starts today with a little insisting and will still cut if the clutch would be replaced.

If i compare this with the lifetime of a lot of chainsaws today...

Is this design then not better in the end?

I am asking an opinion, not making a statement. I am asking as i have the feeling quality is not anymore what it used to be (or too many conditions to keep functioning).

Or am i paranoid and is the chainsaw business improving lifespan wise and not going the disposable way?

If you search youtube for tatra 805 you will find where i got my respect for old engine - mechanic designs. I have one here, built 1953. Stands for 6 months and starts at 1st attempt. no startpilot, no injection, no nothing. It uses 1 liter of oil / 600miles but that is exactly according the original specification.

So what about the stihl range, are they 'only' more sophisticated or also better mechanically?

Those "old" saws are perfectly OK, and if it has to be Stihl you really can't do better, except for the MS361 that you have decided against.

Husky/Jonsered and Dolmar is a different story......

Update

Dear All

Just a small update.

:D :D :D :D is how i look the last days.

With all your feedback in mind i decided to visit another nearby dealer and look what happened.

An 'old' guy in a dirty worksuit came serving me. 1 finger missing and something wrong with his eyes BUT

long story short... he convinced me and I bought the 361 :biggrinbounce2:

the man did not convince me about which type to choose. He convinced me because he did not try to sell me a 440 (or a 361), which he had on stock and needs to sell because replacement is near but because he was asking the right questions - what i am cutting, why a pro saw, from where the idea about the 440 or 361 - what were the shortcomings to me of the 024 etcetc

In the mean time a dozen woodworkers came in, took a beer, sat on a round, made jokes and went home. I was there the time they emmerge from the woods.

So 361 361 361 joined the hype.

My impressions, well cut some wood this weekend up to 16" keeping it at 3/4 throttle and yes it is stronger than an 024 and yes it is more heavy etc. Too new to give info.

Overall to me i feel the weight difference but it already did cut size with ease which would have needed some attack with the 024. So power wise, positively what i wanted.

Now a 192 (not the top handle) to complete the combo and i think I am set with what i need.

I thought it was only polite to give a follow up after your efforts to answer my request.

Some more loads of wood and i'll be back for the muffler mod!

In the mean time....:hmm3grin2orange:

My impressions, well cut some wood this weekend up to 16" keeping it at 3/4 throttle and yes it is stronger than an 024 and yes it is more heavy etc. Too new to give info.

It's not really a good idea to run a saw at less than full throttle in the wood. Go ahead and open her up, cut at full throttle it won't hurt it a bit as long as it's in the wood, just don't keep revving it out of the wood just to hear the sweet sound it makes. ;)

Good choice, and cut safe.

Oh and the MS192 would be a real nice addition to the MS361. Six pounds of twigging fury. :D

Ive been debating this same issue myself. Im looking at getting another pro saw to compliment the 660. cant decide between a 260 or 361.

I think the perfect combination for that 660 would be:

Four Saw Plan...
026/260
036/360/361
046/460
066/660

Actually, comparing a 260 to a 361 is a joke. I like 'em both but they are far too different to compare one to the other. If you already have a 660, a 361 would be really nice saw to limb with. It isn't a 660 but the weight savings would be noticeable. I'm afraid the 026 would be a disappointment if you are used to that kind of power.

To go with my 44 (got 2 which are great) I would go for an 026 (I have one) or the 346xp (I have 3). The Husky is a gem, the 026 is great, just not as great IMHO.
I have ms200's 26 44 66 and 88's, a good stihl line up but the 346xp has cut in and is one of my favourite, most used dance partners.

My impressions, well cut some wood this weekend up to 16" keeping it at 3/4 throttle and yes it is stronger than an 024 and yes it is more heavy etc. Too new to give info. ....

Congrats on the new saw!!! :clap: :clap:

.....but allways use full throttle in the wood, otherwise it may run too lean, as the are no midrange jet.

Last edited:
He bought a.... (in WWF anouncer voice)

Threeeeeeee Siiiiiixtyyyyy Oooooooooooooooone!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wise choice. Though I tend to throttle back on mine myself, as it tends to rev pretty high in the wood.

Um, the 440 is no longer listed or sold by Stihl in the USA though. I know, because I bought one of the last ones available here in OR a month ago.

BTW: It and everything else that they sell now will be gone in 2010. Even the all mighty 361 will be banished to history.
Just saw one sitting on the shelf last week for $609 killed me cause I have an old 044 but I bought a 460. really would like a new 440.

Back