2 Trees for IDs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haveawoody

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
2 different trees for ID.

Both growing in my backyard.
First tree is what I thought was a choke cherry but have never seen a choke cherry with so many long thorns.
Tree is at least 25 years old and might be much older.

Second tree I though was a Box elder on year 1, this year it has grown to around 10ft in height from the 5ft it grew in the first season and leaves have changed from a box elder look to almost a hickory leaf pattern.
Growing on a compost heap and the silver maple growing beside it is around 9ft tall in 2 years.

Hope to be able to ID both because they have me and a few others that have seen them stumped.
Both trees didn't skip a beat with our last 2 brutal winters so no chance they are semi tropical anything. LOL

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Image2.JPG
    Image2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Image3.JPG
    Image3.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
  • Image4.JPG
    Image4.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • Image5.JPG
    Image5.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 64
2 different trees for ID.

Both growing in my backyard.
First tree is what I thought was a choke cherry but have never seen a choke cherry with so many long thorns.
Tree is at least 25 years old and might be much older.

Second tree I though was a Box elder on year 1, this year it has grown to around 10ft in height from the 5ft it grew in the first season and leaves have changed from a box elder look to almost a hickory leaf pattern.
Growing on a compost heap and the silver maple growing beside it is around 9ft tall in 2 years.

Hope to be able to ID both because they have me and a few others that have seen them stumped.
Both trees didn't skip a beat with our last 2 brutal winters so no chance they are semi tropical anything. LOL
All I can say is JPG4 reminds me of Box Elder. What do you think? https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...klQNDQyXzEEc2VjA3Nj?p=Box+Elder&fr=chrf-yff23

lone wolf,

Yep that was my exact thought on year 1 of the tree, now it's just an odd leaf pattern.
Box elders usually get the weed eater treatment so maybe it know that LOL

lone wolf,

I'm not sure it isn't some odd box elder with a weed eater fear.
Top 2 leaves are ringers for box elder but as they descend so does any box elder look.
Breaking a leaf and smelling it would rule out BE, will do that later tonight.

Maple, Ash, Dogwood, Caprofolicie (Catalpa,Katsura,Honeysuckle) Horse Chestnut, Buckeye
Trees with opposite branch pattern
Box Elder or Ash leaf maple falls into this catagory
MADCAPHORSE, an acronym to know just about every opposite branch pattern tree in America

Jed1124,

It sort of resembles a box elder but one from the southern states.
In Ontario box elders pretend they are poison ivy for the first 3 or so years and very easy to ID them as poison Ivy.

Lots of trees bits and seeds have arrived at that compost heap so anything pretty much could be growing. LOL
Dozens of native box elders around in the next door property but noting looks real similar.

@haveawoody Here are a couple of pics taken of leaf buds of a shagbark hickory. Did that one tree have anything like these this past spring? Those buds can be as big as your thumb.DSC00552.JPG DSC00554.JPG DSC00553.JPG

lone wolf,

Well the suspect box elder passed the it's not a box elder test.
I removed a leaf stem and crushed it with my finger nail, no yuck box elder smell.

What the heck grows 10ft in 2 years and looks like a cross between a box elder and a hickory? LOL

I think Jed1124 is right about the other nasty thorn tree being a Hawthorne species of some format.
Now I know what a Hawthorne is I'm not sure how anyone is brave enough to collect hawthorn as firewood LOL

Ok thanks for the ID's on the trees.

The Hawthorne is staying right in it's location, looks like an out of control honey locust further down the tree LOL
Box elder will get 1 more season of playing hide and seek so I can be 100% on it.

Back