20" Craftsman new guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Mulback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Purchased a 20" 50cc Craftsman (poulan pro) chainsaw.
I replaced the chain with a D70. Had a cord of Pinyon pine cut and brought down, I used this thing to clean up the rounds and was going at it for about 2 hrs. Only a couple of times it didnt start right up but always did. I was surprised how the chain held up. When I was done took it apart and cleaned up the dust and grime. Is there a solvent to remove the bonded on dust and oil mixture?

I have a couple of those 5020s...and they have cut a BOATLOAD of wood for me...good saws for the money.
I personally just brush the saw/bar off with an old 4" paintbrush then blow the rest off with compressed air. Any surface that needs any more than that just gets a wipe with a clean cloth. I don't bother to keep my saws all waxed up like some off these guys here...they are for work, not displayin at the car show or something...:D

There's a thread going on in the chainsaw forum about similar, cleaning up after asphalt contamination with a rescue saw, cutting through roof shingles. Lot of anecdotals, wd40 is the simplest and most handy likely.

Back