2006 f-350 powerstroke diesel sometimes won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree94

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought this used 2006 f-350.
180k miles on it
This is my first diesel so I'm unfamiliar.

Most days it starts right up just fine.
but twice now, it has just cranked and not turned over . This lasted about 15 mins the first time, 5 mins the second time. Then it just starts like nothing was wrong.

Any ideas please to fix it so I don't get stranded at a job site one day?

Thanks!!!
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
CEL or no? I have had similar intermittent troubles and it was my cab lights leaking onto the fusebox on wet days.

Check in over at www.powerstroke.org. A great Ford diesel site, with lots of knowledgeable folks.
FYI, and I do not mean to rain on your parade, but you have there, the most troublesome, unreliable, diesel engine Ford has ever offered. The infamous 6.0 Powerstroke.
Unless your truck was "bulletproofed" before you bought it, the problem you are having could be any number of things, from minor, to catastrophic. Get it checked out right away. If it has not been bulletproofed, have that done immediately, before it is too late. done properly, it will cost you about $4,000. Good luck.

Second to the bulletproofing, but that's more related to head gasket/EGR issues. Injectors on this engine are oil driven using a high oil pressure pump. The delivery system from the high oil pressure pump to the injectors is piping, with connections made with o-rings, which are prone to leaking as they age. It makes it hard to build up enough pressure to drive the injectors. Usually it shows up as hard starting when the engine is warm, but can be quick failure as what happened to mine. I like my powerstroke, good power for the size, just a nightmare (translate expensive) to work on since just about every repair starts with removing the turbo.

What does it mean to be "bulletproofed" ?
Bulletproofing is meant to solve the majority of the 6.0 issues. They are not as bad as people say. Not the best thing in the world, but not terrible. There are so many things that can cause a crank, no start, its best to start with a code scanner and go from there. I suspect electrical based on it being an intermittent problem.

If you drive a 6,0 you NEED this gauge.
http://edgeproducts.com/products/insight-cs2-84030/

It allows you to keep an eye on your coolant/oil temp spread. When that spread gets up above 20 degrees at any time other than warm up, you are due for a new oil cooler. If you don't know that temperature spread, you are driving blind and eventually you will have very expensive problems.

Latest posts

Back