"2015 You Suck Thread"-Pictures required

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice saw you have there Marshy. Great video, our snow is just about gone.:chainsaw:
Thanks, I felt it was well worth the money. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time with a pocket full of tax return money lol. Deals like that don't come too often, especially when you have money in your pocket an the saw is in that kind of shape.

We had 60" fall just last month alone so we hav a lot of base left before bare ground still. A week of warm weather and some rain really put the hurting on it though. It's really heavy stuff now and packs well.

I'm not sure how much I suck, but I'm pretty happy with this find. Paid I think $436, shipped from ebay. I realize you can't take ebay prices seriously at all, but I've seen junk powerheads go for around $200, and bow bars without guards usually for over $100. I really wanted a one of these old Pioneer/Poulan Pro saws, and I also wanted a bow saw for bucking firewood. For us guys who aren't swimming in chainsaws everyday, where else can we find a unique saw that we want badly. The saw was listed very accurately, and had new chain, spark plug, rebuilt carb, with workshop manual. My guess is it hasn't had 10 tanks of fuel ran through it. I had to replace a missing chain brake handle for about $14. Nothing other than that to fix. From my experience, usually finding a cheap saw becomes expensive real fast. Rebuilding carbs is cheap, but getting a decent bar and chain is another matter. There's a lot of value in finding a useable saw without working through a pile of problems.
20150124_133201.jpg

I'm not sure how much I suck, but I'm pretty happy with this find. Paid I think $436, shipped from ebay. I realize you can't take ebay prices seriously at all, but I've seen junk powerheads go for around $200, and bow bars without guards usually for over $100. I really wanted a one of these old Pioneer/Poulan Pro saws, and I also wanted a bow saw for bucking firewood. For us guys who aren't swimming in chainsaws everyday, where else can we find a unique saw that we want badly. The saw was listed very accurately, and had new chain, spark plug, rebuilt carb, with workshop manual. My guess is it hasn't had 10 tanks of fuel ran through it. I had to replace a missing chain brake handle for about $14. Nothing other than that to fix. From my experience, usually finding a cheap saw becomes expensive real fast. Rebuilding carbs is cheap, but getting a decent bar and chain is another matter. There's a lot of value in finding a useable saw without working through a pile of problems.
View attachment 412109

Very nice, never ran a bow bar but have heard plenty good and bad about them. Poulan PRO saws came from a very good background, I have a few.

It's hard to compete with the deals most of you are getting. However, I'm happy with my new acquisition. Just bought a Husqvarna 285CD from some ding bat (Jon ;)) out in Utah that didn't know how nice of a saw he had. I paid $250 for it shipped all the way to NY. The thing was ready to rock and roll as soon at it arrived (minus a carb adjustment and bar/chain).

Nice saw! Jon sells very good saws for a fair price.

View attachment 412109
I believe there is one of those in my parts saw storage.

Very nice, never ran a bow bar but have heard plenty good and bad about them. Poulan PRO saws came from a very good background, I have a few.

I believe there is one of those in my parts saw storage.

I've ran about 4 tanks of fuel through it so far. I'm liking it a lot. No bending over, the weight of the saw does most of the work in the cut, no pinching, no wedging, no sawing part of the way through then rolling to finish the cut. It's harder to cut into the dirt because of the shape of the bar as it cuts through the bottom of the wood, so there is much less sharpening. With the guards on and with proper use, I think the danger part is overstated. Standard bars don't exactly make a saw real safe either.

image.jpg Not my all time best saw deal but I'm ok with this 028av for $75. And a little Homelite for $15. After a quick look at them, I fueled them and both run great!image.jpg

Just picked up 2 saws.. a Husky 61 and my mainstay, the 65.. price.. FREE.. Of course being the nice guy I am I'll work on getting his other saws tuned up and running good .

Pictures soon :) Neither of them have bars, but I have a nice 18" hardnose bar off the Homelite XL12 (that I got for free)..

Oh, and I got a 028 woodboss for fixing up a 2100

I think that qualifies as "you suck" considering what I've paid

It's hard to compete with the deals most of you are getting. However, I'm happy with my new acquisition. Just bought a Husqvarna 285CD from some ding bat (Jon ;)) out in Utah that didn't know how nice of a saw he had. I paid $250 for it shipped all the way to NY. The thing was ready to rock and roll as soon at it arrived (minus a carb adjustment and bar/chain).
View attachment 412027

View attachment 412010

Wade,

I don't mind passing along saws at a really good price if I got a really good deal on them.
Would it be bad to say, "that I paid $40 for that saw, and spent another $35 on parts for it?"
No sense trying to squeeze every dollar out of something from a fellow enthusiast. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to apply to many of the ads in the Trading Post as of late.

Oh yes, least I forget. I picked this up today, at my local ranch supply store that switched to Stihl about two years ago.
20150317_143531.jpg 20150317_143558.jpg
It's a brand new 2011 357XP. It had been a display model that had a bar nut, and the oil cap stolen.
The manager, and I settled on $375 before he looked up MSRP.

Weather has me gray, in my neck of the woods. Scrap prices are low and dealers don't keep dead saws here, so I can not find any you suck deals or finish my project saws. Saws on craigslist go for like new prices, even stihl ms 170's are going for 150-200 and the tea kettle 009 variants are 200-250, homelites supers 2, e-z's going for 125-150, wild things 90-120. Please more pics of good scores. It is good to see somebody getting ahead. My best you suck score was a 100 dollar Stihl 064 that was held together with a socket for a AV spacer and screwed together with deck screws, right through the oil tank. It cost me 120 in parts like sprocket, filters and fuel line, muffler cover, and other assorted bits. Big mistake, as a friend really wanted it. I sold it for 180, (I THINK) and ran it, blew it up and has not spoken since. I bumped into him as he runs scrap, he was quite short with me and that's when he told me he scrapped it and politely told me where to go. Sometimes you win, sometimes you look forward to seeing your friends win, when you don't. Keep flaunting the wins guys, it gives us hope and reason to look harder for you suck deals.

Except for 2 of the husky 65's, these have all been freebies or work-exchanges. All run, though the XL12 and poulan are pretty bagged out..
20150318_123816 sm.jpg

I fired the XL12 today.. be darned if with only 100 psi compression it didn't fire and RUN on the FIRST pull... the Ford took a little more (to be expected, right?)
I look forward to tearing the 028 apart and massaging it a little, it's pretty spunky as it is and I'm sure I can get it better.

I also have 3 other Poulans that are basket cases (in baskets), a Homelite 925, and Jonsered 920

Attachments

• 20150318_123242sm.jpg
    20150318_123242sm.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back