2100 Build Thread!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpankratz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread about my new to me 2100. I received this saw in a trade from another member on here. I traded a 288xp for this 2100. The fuel tank and recoil cover are in rough shape but that's okay, I have a running 285CD doner saw. So I guess this will essentially become a 298XP.

Anyways I recieved this saw yesterday, poured fuel in it, fired up 2nd pull! PERFECT! Time to tear the top end off so I can donate to the 285CD. When I pull it off.... the piston is broken between the rings. Now I need a new piston, anyone have one? The seller said it might be possible to put a 395 piston in?

Pics to come....

The 2100 in question:
20150807_184432-jpg.439893

My 288XP trade:

20150810_140405-jpg.440336

2100 broken piston:

20150828_151824_zpsfj6jdmsx.jpg

Also I am confused. This thing has no manual oiler, so I checked the tag and the piston bore to make sure it really was a 2100 and both state it is. What gives?
Also maybe mastermind can chime in on the work to be done to fit the 395 piston. I am ready to order one from my dealer but he says if I order it, it's mine.

I might have a piston by this winter, I'm fixing a bunch of 2100's for a friend, perhaps he will have one, but equally likely he will need one, so I'm interested in what needs to be done to make the 395 piston work as well... it might be something very minor like trimming back the piston skirt to keep the intake timing, or a bit more involved if the distance from the wrist pin to the crown is different

Good thread there cgraham... sounds like Meteor may be making a piston for them after all?

It will probably be at best 6 months before Meteor starts selling that piston.......if they do at all. We should all send them emails telling them that we support their production. The 395 piston will work.......but there is machine work to do. The base must be cut.......then the case under the carb much be relieved. The lower bolt holes on the muffler will need to be slotted too. Nothing too serious though. Oh.......Shaun Carr turned me onto this idea........he is the man. :)

It will probably be at best 6 months before Meteor starts selling that piston.......if they do at all. We should all send them emails telling them that we support their production. The 395 piston will work.......but there is machine work to do. The base must be cut.......then the case under the carb much be relieved. The lower bolt holes on the muffler will need to be slotted too. Nothing too serious though. Oh.......Shaun Carr turned me onto this idea........he is the man. :)

images.jpeg

Now the real question is when do you have time to do this??? Because at that point I might as well send it to you. Or just keep looking for a 2100 piston....

How about asking Meteor to make the crown 2mm taller so you can custom machine it down? that's what I'd like to see!

Just wanted to start a thread about my new to me 2100. I received this saw in a trade from another member on here. I traded a 288xp for this 2100. The fuel tank and recoil cover are in rough shape but that's okay, I have a running 285CD doner saw. So I guess this will essentially become a 298XP.

Anyways I recieved this saw yesterday, poured fuel in it, fired up 2nd pull! PERFECT! Time to tear the top end off so I can donate to the 285CD. When I pull it off.... the piston is broken between the rings. Now I need a new piston, anyone have one? The seller said it might be possible to put a 395 piston in?

Pics to come....
if your going to do a rebuild

how do this 288 look after we powdered it ?

you can get the case done before the piston comes in

MIke

IMG_2085.jpg

I found the nearest color that's readily available is "burnt orange", though a little more red in it would make it closer.. you got a close match, and unless it's beside a new saw you probably won't know the difference

Its mandarin orange powder 2 coated second coat is on while hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back