2100 grab bag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Reaction score
I picked these up from a mill last year and I have been itching to build one. I'm slow, hopefully this doesn't take me another year.IMG-20150514-00913.jpg

Out of the five carcasses these three have no case damage I can see so one of these will get built.
IMG-20150519-00914.jpg

Today was the first time I have broke into any of them. Four of the five saws have junk pistons. Ironically the only good one is a thin ring. I believe I'm going to order a Gulf to build this.
IMG-20150519-00915.jpg IMG-20150519-00916.jpg

All but one crank looks good. This one losts all the bearing. There are chunks of molten metal in the case.
IMG-20150519-00917.jpg
I was surprised that even with the pistons damaged they way they are only one jug is no bueno.
IMG-20150519-00918.jpg

Lucky you, that is a whole pile of awesome and with parts left to keep them running farther down the road. Its too bad parts are getting tough to find for these saws, they are hard working and reliable. Not the lightest around but built to take some serious abuse and keep on going. I love mine and after visiting Tennessee it is downright angry pulling a 42" bar in anything you want to point it at. I put a 32" on mine the other night and went at an old cotton wood that tipped over in my back yard, what a monster chips flying everywhere. They actually sting your leg if you are at the right angle to catch them coming out of the clutch cover directly. Its one saw that puts a smile on my face every time I run it.

The only parts I don't have is a handle. I was chatting with a fellow on here about one but haven't heard back from him.

I am going to use the only good piston to pull my timing. I probably should wait to get my new piston but I'd like to get a jug sent soon.

This one is for .404. Its a good thing no one sends me their saws to port. What kind of hack would use lashing wire for a pointer?
IMG-20150520-00919.jpg

Stock numbers are 103/122/73. The thin ring piston has the same crown height but a tad longer skirt. If the Golf piston is the same height overall as a thick ring I will lose a couple degrees.

You have it backwards, the longer skirt will have less intake duration than the shorter skirt.

No need to worry about that on a 2100... they have plenty to support even the most aggressive work saw numbers.

I was happy to see where the stock numbers fell. lots of room on intake and exhaust.

Would you care to share your numbers? I was thinking 100/122, leave the intake where it falls with the base cut and then raise the roof of intake if needed.

That one has a 395 piston, a carb from a 394 and a lot of other work.

Those numbers so do alright.

Back