2145 upgrade (or replace?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freak007

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to either upgrade or replace my Jonsered 2145. The saw runs well, I just want/need something a little bigger to run an 18-20" bar limbing/brushing/trail clearing/light bucking...

Current options I am considering are to either swapping a 346XP top end onto it, or selling it and replacing it with something along the lines of an 034/034S/036. Overall cost would be about the same...

What would you do, and why?

If you're gonna be doing light stuff like that with it.i would go with a 16in bar.keep light as possible for stuff like that.or your arms will take a beating.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I also think it would be a better to put a 346 top end on yours. Than switch to a different animal.that probably is a little heavier.you will need a riser block from like a 350 or a 2150 to bolt a 346xp top end on.also husqvarna has really drop there price on new top ends.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You're on the right track of what I am looking for. Currently my "big" saw sports a 24" bar and tips the scales at roughly 23 pounds. The little red one is 14 pounds. While I appreciate the light weight, I find myself reaching for the big saw more frequently because the longer reach. Too many years of working for Uncle Sam has left my back in a degraded status. The less I have to bend over, the better, but the big saw is obviously overkill for brushing and limbing...

I priced out the 346 swap, and it would run me $175-200, I am sure it would have the power to run the bigger bar as long as I was sensible about it, but I am not sure the oiler would be up to the task of an 18 or 20" bar... If I was to sell it I expect I would be able to get $150-$175 pretty easy, and I am pretty confident I could find a nice 034/036 for $350ish... Of course an 034/036 would still be overkill, but it would provide me the reach and should still be 5 pounds lighter...

I would like to keep the total investment under $200. Either $200 in upgrading the 2145, or selling the 2145 and adding to the $200 would be fine by me.

I have a couple saws in the 75cc range, but I kind of want something lighter and more nimble for limbing and brushing. The catch is in would still like to run a 18-20" bar for the extra reach.

If you picked up a NE 346 cylinder and did a muffler mod the saw would run well and cost you a little north of a hundred bucks. Or you might even be able to find a good used one on the trading post here.

If you picked up a NE 346 cylinder and did a muffler mod the saw would run well and cost you a little north of a hundred bucks. Or you might even be able to find a good used one on the trading post here.

Where would I find a kit for that price?

When I priced out the OE 44mm Husky cylinder kit it came around $175 for the P&C, riser block, boot, and associated parts...

If I were u I'd build the saw over getting a used 036. At least you know the cylinder piston condition. I'd buy the 036 over the 034 though. I'd buy the 036 and keep the jonserd too.

If I could find a $200 036 that would be a no-Brainer

I thought the kit right from husky dealers was around $125.

Best I found was 150ish for the P&C kit, plus the riser...

Another option you could do is throw a cheap aftermarket 45mm cylinder kit and cylinder base adapter and make a 353 ish clone that would be a big improvement over a worn out 45cc. There's a bunch of info on here and the rest of the web detailing the swap. Here's a few parts you'd need:

http://m.huztl.net/Husqvarna-346-35...ing-Pin-Circlip-OEM-537-25-30-02-p226612.html

http://m.huztl.net/Husqvarna-340-345-346XP-350-Chainsaw-Engine-Pan-OEM-503-88-59-01-p226566.html

The thing is, the saw isn't worn out... long ways from it. Not sure if I'm a fan of replacing quality/functional OE parts with something of lesser quality.... I guess I'm not a fully confident in the longevity of the AM kits...

If the saw is a good runner, I would personally buy something new. If money was tight a Echo 590 with the echo days should be around 350$ or less. With a muffler mod it should be considerbly more powerful.

If I could find a $200 036 that would be a no-Brainer

Best I found was 150ish for the P&C kit, plus the riser...

The thing is, the saw isn't worn out... long ways from it. Not sure if I'm a fan of replacing quality/functional OE parts with something of lesser quality.... I guess I'm not a fully confident in the longevity of the AM kits...

Oh yeah if it's not worn out use it as is. I say get a 70cc saw like a 372xp or ms440 to go with the 2145. You'd have a sweet 2 saw setup then.

I think the 346xp kit from Spike60 is somewhere around 105 $$ shipped. contact Spike60 at Ashokan Turf and Timber.

You can get that saw running again for under 200 likely... but the budget buster would be any of the other items, in particular, bearings/seals.

Check out my vids on my youtube channel, lots of husky 350 stuff.

MUST reseal bearing cap ...preferably with threebond 1184

must also get a muffler brace.

must get a metal intake clamp

top three points of failure on this saw...best of luck

If the saw is a good runner, I would personally buy something new. If money was tight a Echo 590 with the echo days should be around 350$ or less. With a muffler mod it should be considerbly more powerful.

I've heard nothing but great things about Echo, but isnt it about 2 pounds heavier than the already heavy 036? I also struggle to justify buying new. IMO the warranty does not justify the depreciation right out the door.

Oh yeah if it's not worn out use it as is. I say get a 70cc saw like a 372xp or ms440 to go with the 2145. You'd have a sweet 2 saw setup then.

You mean like a 24lb 77cc saw with a 24" b&c? I already have that...

I think the 346xp kit from Spike60 is somewhere around 105 $$ shipped. contact Spike60 at Ashokan Turf and Timber.

You can get that saw running again for under 200 likely... but the budget buster would be any of the other items, in particular, bearings/seals.

Check out my vids on my youtube channel, lots of husky 350 stuff.

MUST reseal bearing cap ...preferably with threebond 1184

must also get a muffler brace.

must get a metal intake clamp

top three points of failure on this saw...best of luck

Is that an OE kit?! If so, I think that's a killer price! Will the 2145 oiler support a 18-20" bar?

The saw runs fine now... that's part of the reason that I am considering selling it to finance something bigger... if it was blown up, then tearing it down would be a no brainer...

I guess what has me stuck, is it seems like for what the 2145 is currently worth, I could probably sell it, add the $200 that would take to upgrade, and get away from the plastic 2145...

On the flip side, I do like the light weight of the 2145, I just don't care for the short reach, and it doesn't seem to have the power needed to go any bigger than the 16" bar...

I've heard nothing but great things about Echo, but isnt it about 2 pounds heavier than the already heavy 036? I also struggle to justify buying new. IMO the warranty does not justify the depreciation right out the door.

You mean like a 24lb 77cc saw with a 24" b&c? I already have that...

Is that an OE kit?! If so, I think that's a killer price! Will the 2145 oiler support a 18-20" bar?

The saw runs fine now... that's part of the reason that I am considering selling it to finance something bigger... if it was blown up, then tearing it down would be a no brainer...

I guess what has me stuck, is it seems like for what the 2145 is currently worth, I could probably sell it, add the $200 that would take to upgrade, and get away from the plastic 2145...

On the flip side, I do like the light weight of the 2145, I just don't care for the short reach, and it doesn't seem to have the power needed to go any bigger than the 16" bar...
Your 2145 is 10.8 lbs and the 590 is 13.2 lbs. IIRC the 036 is 11.4 lbs which makes it very light for its cc class.

You'll notice that difference between the 2145 and 590 when limbing but not at all when bucking.

Back