225 acre hardwood lot worth ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 535658 View attachment 535657
The tree in the picture looked somewhat burly and of low grade. When you get a chance could take more pics?
There are several different grade of logs. The best being a perfect cylinder with minimal taper and no visual external or internal defects.

i don't recall ever being in the woods and being able to see more then 20' in front of me. at least before i hacked the area down lol

image.jpeg
Ok ic and what kind of log is that ? Maybe it's all garbage know my land not sure yet I will let you all know tho !
I have the feeling that if you had much highgrade, loggers would be knocking at your door, especially the ones that logged you neighbors bush, but still you never know.
The pics I posted were Rock Maple and Black Cherry.

It was done by local guy 14 years ago that sold the outfit after 5 years or so he didn't like it , the other one as I said was for firewood for people around home, not arguing it very well could be junk if it is I won't be hurt just here looking for the info you guys gave me !

Those are some big trees man !we have rock maple at home as well

I'm talking just the timber rights/stumpage, not buying the land too. Can buy wooded land around here for 1-10k an acre, depending on location

7k is what i'll get out of the timber... roughly half will go towards stumping etc, 150 an acre a guy would be laughed out of the woods around here

7k is what i'll get out of the timber... roughly half will go towards stumping etc, 150 an acre a guy would be laughed out of the woods around here
Not a bad lil paycheck. It takes me 6 months to make that kind of green up here, but expenses are minimal and the wood is always close by. Its a curse I tell you, it's a curse! Lol, but I like it.

Yeah, but didn't you say something like 60 cords off 1/2 acre (even still way too much though, I've never paid more than $50/cord for timber). Around here we might see 4-6 cords an acre.

regardless, madhattes advice was the best and he stopped it right where he had to because he cannot give anymore advice then that.

Zackly. I'd give anybody the same advice, too, and have. I've even acted as expert witness on a timber theft case based on the exact same advice, namely "this is what your forester didn't give you". I'm no expert on woods more than about 200 miles from where I currently live and work, and even then my expertise fails the further I get from home. Forestry is all about local knowledge. It's not easy to accumulate, and experts are few and far between. We call on each other a lot to fill in gaps in knowledge. That's one of the many reasons for professional associations like SAF (Society of American Foresters). It gives you an idea of who to call when you need to know something that you don't know. The rest is all about networking.

Haha my God you guys Crack me up lol!
It's not overly steep and one deal that WILL be made is whatever road they use to get to the wood will be fixed as good as possible before they pull out and if they don't want to do that and respect my land I can leave it be and just hunt on it as I do and cut firewood , it's not a big deal I'm 28 and a pipe welder I just am looking for ways to get myself out of the oil patch earlier in life then I had planed sick of the traveling....it's no rush tomorrow I will call and see if I can find a forestier and start there.

It's not to steep to use a ported one was used next door last year for firewood lol

What is a ported?

Yeah, but didn't you say something like 60 cords off 1/2 acre (even still way too much though, I've never paid more than $50/cord for timber). Around here we might see 4-6 cords an acre.

12,000 bf in three loads so far, another 7k-9k bf I'm either waiting on the check or its sitting on the landing or standing on the stump,

So 19000+- bf all said and done... ish... off .5 acres, not sure what that translates into cords, roughly 11 cord to the truck load. so 55cord?

I leave cord counting to the firewood guys. Pulp isn't really a market in these parts, and firewood has been taken over by tweekers and adicts, or dudes with firewood processors. For me to cut and split 2 cord a day, I would only get about $50 after fuel etc.

Then I don't really pay stumpage either, I go percentage of the load, easier math for everyone involved, 50% is the starting point. Roughly $90 a cord depending on species.

Porter is a guy what carries/drags luggage, usually at a fancy Hotel.

Skidder is a usually rubber tired articulating tractor what carries/drags logs.

Back east they are fond of forwarders, like a skidder but with bunks and a crane to load said bunks. Bitzer runs an older one.

Not a bad lil paycheck. It takes me 6 months to make that kind of green up here, but expenses are minimal and the wood is always close by. Its a curse I tell you, it's a curse! Lol, but I like it.

If ya wanna be more then a little crooked there is lots of money in timber down here. The dude I bid against, bid 30k to stump it and remove brush, they keep the timber, and wanted 3k to move the machine in. The ****ed up thing is these guys are staying busy...

Granted I screwed this bid up, in I would clear it for the timber alone, so I probably won't make a whole lot of money on it as most of the brush is going to get hauled of at around 800 a load for trucking and dump fees.

I did manage to get a burn permit so where going to piss off all the neighbors and torch as much as possible.

Forwarders were quite popular for pulpwood in pine plantations for row thinning. I once had a Treefarmer forwarder with an air cooled Deutz with an 8' bunk, but sold it because when loaded it had to much ground pressure and made ruts. They are a fun machine to operate, great for stacking and sorting on the landing.

Back