242XP-WORTH REDOING?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have this 242xp I got from a member not to long ago for a limbing only saw.I have started to clean it up and still have some work left on the recoil,clutch and top cover and I have a complete decal kit coming for it.I will be sending this one out for porting and a complete engine rebuild and will never sell it.I took the chain brake off because I don't need one on a 42cc saw.And I am running a 13" B/C on it.This saw is 15,500 wot(wide open throttle) stock.
Is all this worth it?I will have a lot invested when done.242xp-7900 makita 004.JPG 242xp-7900 makita 005.JPG 242xp-7900 makita 003.JPG

I don't understand the thinking behind removing the chain brake. In my experience, a small saw with a very short bar (like the one on your saw), is much more prone to kickback than a big saw with a long bar.

Since you plan on keeping the saw, and can afford to spend the money, go ahead and do it.

I don't understand the thinking behind removing the chain brake. In my experience, a small saw with a very short bar (like the one on your saw), is much more prone to kickback than a big saw with a long bar.

Since you plan on keeping the saw, and can afford to spend the money, go ahead and do it.
I have been looking a few years for one of these.I tried to explain how a ported one might cut to my brother who I sold one of my ported 346's to and he said no way.I told him it was lust for limbing.I can't wait to test some 50cc and under saws out against each other.

I couldn't agree more. While I'm not the biggest fan of chainbrakes, I sure want them on my small limbing saws such as my 200t or 346. Those saws are much jumpier with the short bars, high 15k rpm, and low torque. These are much more likely to have a kickback episode than a bigger longer bar saw. Also mine are used in a lot of narrow confined areas that can catch or trip an operator compared to the bigger saws. Even limbing with the bigger saw feels safer to me.

Top handle saws may as well not have chain brakes adding weight to the saw. They're mostly used one handed and the brake is not engineered to be activated by the throttle hand in the event of a kickback.

Top handle saws may as well not have chain brakes adding weight the saw. They're mostly used one handed and the brake is not engineered to be activated by the throttle hand in the event of a kickback.
I dissagree with your statement with regards to the 200t. I dunno about other tophandles, however, while I am not having kickback issues the brakes on all three of my 200's come on easily with a light flick of the wrist. The handle is pefectly inline IMHO.

I dissagree with your statement with regards to the 200t. I dunno about other tophandles, however, while I am not having kickback issues the brakes on all three of my 200's come on easily with a light flick of the wrist. The handle is pefectly inline IMHO.
While I was typing that post I was holding a 200t looking at the brake handle to see that it's in a location where it only works if you have both hands on the saw. If that saw kicks back on you while ripping with one hand then there is nothing to make contact with the handle to activate the brake.

Hardly any top handle saw can be found without a chain brake, unless older than 30 years.
I once got a serious kickback from my 242xp while I was checking the bar oil flow at WOT and touched accidentally a log with the bar tip.

Hardly any top handle saw can be found without a chain brake, unless older than 30 years.
I once got a serious kickback from my 242xp while I was checking the bar oil flow at WOT and touched accidentally a log with the bar tip.
I've done that too!
Felt like an idiot, but glad I didn't hurt myself.

I would rebuild it for sure porting....whatever such a nice starting point I would be inclined to go all stock possibly mod the muff a bit but maby not and just enjoy it for what it is. I would reconsider removing the chain brake.

enjoy
lucky to have such a nice saw!

I couldn't agree more. While I'm not the biggest fan of chainbrakes, I sure want them on my small limbing saws such as my 200t or 346. Those saws are much jumpier with the short bars, high 15k rpm, and low torque. These are much more likely to have a kickback episode than a bigger longer bar saw. Also mine are used in a lot of narrow confined areas that can catch or trip an operator compared to the bigger saws. Even limbing with the bigger saw feels safer to me.
I consider the 346xp a little more than a limbing saw.On my Monkeyed big carb 346xp I would never take the chain brake off it.I find that if you are running 3/8 chain you will have problems but even on my Husky 44 ported by me with a 13" B/C with .325 chain I have never had a problem with a kickback.I have been cutting for 35 years and 6 of them as a pro.Husqvarna did come out as well as Stihl with a lot of saws with no chain brake.I like my 44 which did not come with a chain brake44 top covers 003.jpg lot.

I have this 242xp I got from a member not to long ago for a limbing only saw.I have started to clean it up and still have some work left on the recoil,clutch and top cover and I have a complete decal kit coming for it.I will be sending this one out for porting and a complete engine rebuild and will never sell it.I took the chain brake off because I don't need one on a 42cc saw.And I am running a 13" B/C on it.This saw is 15,500 wot(wide open throttle) stock.
Is all this worth it?I will have a lot invested when done.
Great saw! Personally, I put 16" bars on mine but that's just me. What year was it made? And where do you get your decal sets 'cause I have a need for one set too?

I consider the 346xp a little more than a limbing saw.On my Monkeyed big carb 346xp I would never take the chain brake off it.I find that if you are running 3/8 chain you will have problems but even on my Husky 44 ported by me with a 13" B/C with .325 chain I have never had a problem with a kickback.I have been cutting for 35 years and 6 of them as a pro.Husqvarna did come out as well as Stihl with a lot of saws with no chain brake.I like my 44 which did not come with a chain brakeView attachment 464553 lot.
346 not a limbing saw? The rounded bottom no doubt helps when doing the European 5 point limbing the saw WAS designed for.

I would be interested in the chainbrake. I have parts to trade for those if you are in need.

Porting. Depends what you are going for.

Really not needed. Pull the gasket. Ignition timing and a bigger carb.

David

Latest posts

Back