262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread to ask probably an easy one for some. I went today to get a new style oil cap for my 262. Dealer didnt see where these are abailable? Anyone have a part number if avaiable?

Good thread to ask probably an easy one for some. I went today to get a new style oil cap for my 262. Dealer didnt see where these are abailable? Anyone have a part number if avaiable?

Well, both caps are 522 62 00-01 on the 562xp, while the (presumably smaller) oil cap for the 550xp is 577 87 86-01 (fuel cap is as on the 562).

I don't know if those fits the 262xp, but suspect they do?

501765602 is the Husky number you want, ~$6.75 online + shipping. There are several aftermarket caps too at reduced prices.

I thought I would resurrect this thread as there is a lot of good info in it, and also because I have a couple 262XP cylinders sitting on my desk. One is a non-decomp Mahle from a 1993 saw, and the other is a decomp Mahle from a 1998 saw, and there are notable differences in the two. The 1993 cylinder has much wider transfer tunnels than the 1998. The 1998 has noticeably taller/bigger upper transfer ports. Lowers are the same size on both. The intake port is shorter and wider on the 1998 cylinder, and is located lower in the cylinder, indicating more duration on the newer cylinder. The exhaust port is taller and is higher in the 1998 cylinder, indicating more duration there as well. The transfers on the 1998 are much higher, indicating a shorter blowdown compared to the 1993 cylinder.

Now the question here is; why were these changes made? !993 was the first year for the smaller venturi carb (HDA120 vs. HDA87). Did the Husqvarna engineers discover they needed more duration and shorter blowdown to get the same performance from the smaller HDA120 equipped saw as the previous HDA87 equipped saws?

I thought I would resurrect this thread as there is a lot of good info in it, and also because I have a couple 262XP cylinders sitting on my desk. One is a non-decomp Mahle from a 1993 saw, and the other is a decomp Mahle from a 1998 saw, and there are notable differences in the two. The 1993 cylinder has much wider transfer tunnels than the 1998. The 1998 has noticeably taller/bigger upper transfer ports. Lowers are the same size on both. The intake port is shorter and wider on the 1998 cylinder, and is located lower in the cylinder, indicating more duration on the newer cylinder. The exhaust port is taller and is higher in the 1998 cylinder, indicating more duration there as well. The transfers on the 1998 are much higher, indicating a shorter blowdown compared to the 1993 cylinder.

Now the question here is; why were these changes made? !993 was the first year for the smaller venturi carb (HDA120 vs. HDA87). Did the Husqvarna engineers discover they needed more duration and shorter blowdown to get the same performance from the smaller HDA120 equipped saw as the previous HDA87 equipped saws?

What if it was the other way around, they changed the porting and needed less carb?

most of the time changes are made for the betterment of emissions.

Back