288xp done, muffler modded

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally finished up this one. Ran fine, but was ugly so I cleaned it and gave it an Earl Scheib job. I went after the muffler while I was at it.

Lousy weather bouncing between rain and freezing rain along with lunch with Santa kept me out of the woodpile today, but I'll get it tuned in and a vid later this week.

I will say this, most of the township will know when I'm cutting with it because she rips it!

I cut the baffle that makes the exhaust come off the front muffler wall and hit the back of the outlet before going out on the factory port, cut out the deflector on the inlet that makes the exhaust hit the muffler floor, and added the second port to the left side. It looks like it belongs there. The 266xp in the background is going to get the same treatment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OK, so how does she run?

Pretty good I'd say.

Tuned it this morning by ear then tached it at 13200. Made a few cuts and rechecked with the tach to find 12700. Cut the rest of the morning and checked again still at 12700 so I'll probably leave it there for now. Vids made with a 28" Oregon Powermatch with 3/8 .050 Oregon full skip and an 8-pin ring.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Dv8SGM7W1A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2Dv8SGM7W1A&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8XGVxu3q5P4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8XGVxu3q5P4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Could be. I'll check where I set it after I cleaned it and put it away this afternoon. I may have set it too tight because the 372 pitched one the other day and I'm kinda leery of that right now.

I HATE where the tensioner is behind that big dog.

Nope, this one has no decomp. There's a hole in the top cover for it, but nothing in the jug. Were there any 288s sold with no decomp?

Makes me curious to tear back into it and check the PN on the jug. I bought this saw on ebay, no idea what's really inside and never thought to check it until now. It doesn't "look" like anybody ported it...

Nope, this one has no decomp. There's a hole in the top cover for it, but nothing in the jug. Were there any 288s sold with no decomp?

Makes me curious to tear back into it and check the PN on the jug. I bought this saw on ebay, no idea what's really inside and never thought to check it until now. It doesn't "look" like anybody ported it...

I have six 288's and all are deco.........I had a 281 it had no deco....I heard that the early models might not have it ......

Measure the bore and make sure its 54mm.......If not the 281's run great too....

I just spent a couple of minutes checking IPLs. They didn't have decomp until 1991-04 models. The 1988-01, 1998-08, 1989-02, and 1990-01 don't have it so mine must be an early one.

Only number on jug is 14972A, obviously not a Husky PN. I could measure it, but I don't feel like it tonight, plus I'd have to order another gasket. I'm inclined to let well enough alone for now. Maybe SawTroll will know?

I just spent a couple of minutes checking IPLs. They didn't have decomp until 1991-04 models. The 1988-01, 1998-08, 1989-02, and 1990-01 don't have it so mine must be an early one.

Only number on jug is 14972A, obviously not a Husky PN. I could measure it, but I don't feel like it tonight, plus I'd have to order another gasket. I'm inclined to let well enough alone for now. Maybe SawTroll will know?

Post the #'s off the id plate ...

CPR,
Saw looks good and is running strong. Not to get off topic but I've always looked at the IPL names as year/month issued format (YYYY/MM). Maybe I'm wrong but here's the way I've been reading it. Maybe this has already been beaten to death on here. The 1991-04 would be released in April 1991. I thought the manuals after that 1998-02 (February 1998) would show the latest info.

Oldest to newest???
1988-01
1989-02
1990-01
1991-04
1998-08

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I only own one husky but I find it confusing when there's 5 different IPL's. For example, which IPL would you look at in the five listed above if you owned a saw built in 1991??

Darcy

Just wondering why you're running full skip on a saw like that. You should be able to pulll a full set with an 8 tooth sprocket no problem. Your cutting time would be much faster with a full set. Just my 2 cents. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back