288xp lite.. to squish or not to squish??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweidish445

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A 288xp lite fell into my lap a few months ago. Had low compression so Im doing a cheap reconditioning.. new piston, ring, pin and bearing. I honed out the damage on the cylinder and did some modest work to the ports.. main bearings seem ok, so I'm not doing the complete teardown. I should add, that I did open the existing port considerably on the muffler, but still just has the single port.
I've measured squish with and without gasket.
With= .045
without gasket= .024..
Gasket=.021

My question here is, trust the liquid gasket for the jump in psi?

Have the saw decked .020ish and use gasket?

Or run old trusty at the stock .045? Till its time for a big boy rebuild and porting?

I plan to hang onto this saw, and possibly use it for a mill saw instead of my 372xp. It will also look excellent next to the other 5 huskies in my fleet! I figure I can go crazy when it's time for a full rebuild. But if the gains are big enough, I'd rather get it right this time also! Thanks for your input!
20151127_205756.jpg
20151127_210000.jpg

I did. Can't say it made a huge performance difference, but that tiny filter just kinda bothered me.

my 288 lite is all stock and has scary torque and power!

I believe it, what size bar are you running? I have a 20" for her now, but I built my milling rig to handle up to 34".
Besides, who doesn't want an extra 25psi? I don't believe one of my saws is stock.. I've even bolted tach/hour meters to a few of my saws..
20141129_111833.jpg
Huskies seem to do very well with these little tweeks and I kinda love doing them.
I didn't go crazy, but i smoothed out all the ports and polished exhaust side. I think this, with the wider muffler port and a lil squish should make a worthy 288xp...

I believe it, what size bar are you running? I have a 20" for her now, but I built my milling rig to handle up to 34".
Besides, who doesn't want an extra 25psi? I don't believe one of my saws is stock.. I've even bolted tach/hour meters to a few of my saws..
View attachment 464728
Huskies seem to do very well with these little tweeks and I kinda love doing them.
I didn't go crazy, but i smoothed out all the ports and polished exhaust side. I think this, with the wider muffler port and a lil squish should make a worthy 288xp...
I run a 20 most of the time

View attachment 464728
I run a 20 most of the time
Y'all must be European!

lol ! just cannot see the justification of putting 36 inch bar to cut a 18 inch log like I see on AS site.
Ok, this isn't about whose bar and chain hang lower TX... I'm no Euro, just wondering if .020 squish and bigger intake are worth the trouble.. thanks for the input. Yamabond 4 it is..
Don't take offense, I'm sure there are a few perfectly good Europeans out there!:innocent:

Latest posts

Back