288xplite/385 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Husqvarna.com still lists the 288. The 385, it seems, smokes it by being a pound lighter and more hp. Surely Husky has/will outdate the 288?

The HUSQVARNA 385XP is the newest Husqvarna Pro Saw.This is the long awaited midsize saw from Husky. At 85cc's it is a bit smaller than the old 288XP but still produces the same horsepower. Thanks to newer technology it is even 1/2 pound lighter.

This long awaited 385XP has a heritage of power and dependability. The New 385XP has replaced the 288XP as the next generation of large saws for the professional Logger.

Madsen's

I am opinionated and a bit prejudiced but feel by and large the older saws were a little better built. The new saws have way too much plastic and rubber. Heat and oil/gas and alcohol is the enemy of rubber and to some degree plastic. Constant vibration is also detrimental to plastic. When I see the claims that the newer version of saws is an improvment on the old style, I always take a wait and see attitude.
The 2100 series saw was one of the best ever made by Husky. Every replacement that was suppost to be an improvment on it was not. I have a friend that has a wood yard. He sells commerically. No saw since the 2100 has cut as many cords of wood without being worn out or broken. The new 372 that everyone is so happy with has failed him miserably. He doesn't even get past the warranty before the crankshaft is out. He has gone through 20 of them! If Madsens wants to copy Husky claims that the new saw is the cats meow then so be it. For me it's wait and see.
The only Husky that can beat a 2100 that is hopped up is the 3120 ( and it has to be tweaked to do it!). No other Husky can do it to my knowledge. Mike

thank you, that's it, ie, a shame. Since I joined this forum, about January , this year, everybody's been going crazy over the new saws. me too, I jumped in ther and bought my 357xp. I'm very happy w/my saw, good fit. I don't know what I'm saying here rupe, but thanks. Thanks for you and your brother and all the others that have revealed there experience on this forum that helps ignorants like me. Thanks again (whats a 2100 going for)

I'm seeing the 298xp, 1100cd, 2100, 2100cd and 2100xp all have similar specs (99cc's), same bore and stroke. Is there an easy way for one of you guys to explain the difference in these saws? :confused:

I think every time that Husky made any change to the saw they made a model change. I know the ignition change was the reason for the CD after the number. There was also some that had a thin ring piston and later a regular size ring piston was used. I know also some early ones had an auxiliary oiler as well as the automatic one and of course they came out with the chain brake model after introduction. There are probably other changes that I am unaware of but it did keep the same bore and stroke so that the displacement remained the same. Most parts interchange. Mike

thanks rupe, what do you think the difference might be in the
2100cd and 2100xp . that's what it is, ain't it. It's to keep ordinarys like me from figuring it out?

I don't know for sure but some of the members with research books could tell us I bet. I think the 2100cd was the first model with the capacitive discharge ignition module. The 2100xp was the first with the thick ring piston maybe. I know some would have you believe that xp stands for extra power but that one was not as strong as the thin ring version. Mike

Hey Rupedoggy, A friend of mine who's a saw tech is looking for a 298xp to replace the one he "never should have sold" .....got one?

Mike,
Are you saying that a stock 2100 will blow away a stock 3120?
I've heard that the thin ring 2100 is one of the best saws ever made, but is it really cabable of overtaking 20 more cc's?

No. A stock 2100 will not out perform a stock 3120. I bet you have already called Mr. Dunn and given him an ear full on this point. What I tried to say is a performance enhanced 2100 will beat a stock 3120. The extra displacement will normally win if all things are equal. Mr. Dunn, Sawracr and myself did see a 2100 with pipe, running on alcohol that was truly a fast machine. It belonged to Jim Taylor of ESPN Stihl challenge fame. He ran it in the hot saw class aganist Mc karts, 084s, 090s and 3120s. I believe it might have won too but Mr. Taylor made a slight miscue on the start and lost precious seconds which cost him dearly. That I believe is the fastest 6 cubic inch saw I have ever personally witnessed. Mike

Yea a decade has changed the posters above to be gone from this site, except for me. If you think the 2100 isn't still "King" bring over your saw of 6 CI or less, and $100, and we will see. Mike

Yea a decade has changed the posters above to be gone from this site, except for me. If you think the 2100 isn't still "King" bring over your saw of 6 CI or less, and $100, and we will see. Mike

Do you know if Dennis still is active (porting saws)?

Last edited:
Back