3/8 lo-pro full chisel ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oregon 91 vs works well on the small saws, I replace the 91 vg safety chain on a Poulan and a Mac with the vs and found a great improvement.

It is not full chisle, which may be a good thing in the case of such a small cutter. The point of a full chisle on a low pro cutter would be fragile and hard to keep sharp.

Found the chain could be a bit grabby on smaller saws without the torque to initiate the cut. realy had to get rpm up before trying to start the cut. I did prefer the VG safety chain for brushing with the small saws (did not tend to get snagged).

But now I use full chisle .325 with a Stihl 260 and 3/8 on the 066, I dont spend much time thinking of low profile chain.

Timberwolf

I think the 91 series is called chamfer chisel. I used to use it
on my Makita 401 trailcutting saw. It works great as long as
you don't rock or barbwire it out, which I seem to be pretty
good at. Once the top corner is folded over, you have to file too
far back into the strap to un-fubar it, it ends up in the trash.
Carlton N1C has been a far better "dirty work" chain for me,
but the 91VS is great for small, clean wood kind of work.

Rich,
Your best bet for 3/8 lo-pro on your climbing saw is either Oregon 91VS as already mentioned or Stihl PM. I'm running Stihl 63PM on my climbing saw and wouldn't use anything else. Lower the rakers as you file the teeth back to keep a good bite and it keeps cutting great as long as you have some tooth left.

I agree with 165. I started running pm on my top handle saws and really like the way it cuts. It's aggressive enough to cut fast but it isn't as grabby as full chisel chain.

Is there such a thing as full chisel 3/8th lo-pro chain? I've never seen it or heard of it...

I'am running 3/8" low profile pm non safety.Did check around to find low profile chisel but with no results.

Very satisfied with cut compared to RS.Imo it's smoother,easier to maintain high rpm in a cut and tends to stay sharp longer.

Rick

Back