3/8" Low Profile Chain Revisited-What Do you Prefer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I see PS for sale at Baileys so I am not sure on that either. $20 for a 52DL loop. As a comparison VXL is $11 for 52DL.

FWIW I know that if I can keep my chain out of the rocks on full 3/8 that Stihl RS will last more than double of LGX before needing sharpening.

I've had the same experience as well. Stihl's steel is much better quality. But VXL has been the exception to the rule for me. It stays sharp forever!

At the races up here they have a top handle class but no class for tiny rear handle saws. If you are competing in the <46 cc class you need to have a 241 or 346 to win or a 420/421 to contend. My SEZ got beat by a 420 but it actually kept up pretty well, I was behind by about a third cant after three cuts. Not bad for a 40 year old saw that I got for free LOL.

I've had the same experience as well. Stihl's steel is much better quality. But VXL has been the exception to the rule for me. It stays sharp forever!
Good to know. I guess most of my experience with VXL was cutting hard maple dropped on a roadbed of crushed rock so I can't comment on organic longevity.

I run Dolmar branded Oregon on my 40cc's, I think it is 091 or 092 - I'd have to check as I am not sure.
It is round tooth safety chain though.

I have a carbide tipped Still loop sitting on the shelf, curious how it will behave.

I just seen that stuff. 3/8LP carbide. Unreal. :sweet:

Stopped by my Ace/Stihl dealer tonight for some propane and figured I'd browse their chains. Big shock, no PS of any version.
We have one of those here too and they don't have any either. I would have tried some if they had any loops - of course it's unlikely anything they had would have fit any of my saws.

Stopped by my Ace/Stihl dealer tonight for some propane and figured I'd browse their chains. Big shock, no PS of any version.

We've still got 50DL and 55DL loops of PS...I hadn't heard that they were discontinuing it.

I just seen that stuff. 3/8LP carbide. Unreal. :sweet:
The carbide inserts geometry is very nice, it is semi chisel and round ground like a regular steel cutter.
I'll make a bunch of pictures and some videos when I start using it.
I forgot to mention, I use .050" 3/8"LP - carries a whole lot of oil for a 52DL loop.

The Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108 have unlimited oil pumps, but I tune them to 1:1 oil/fuel tank.

Yeah, VG had those nasty shark fins. I used to grind them off. The ramped drive links of PX don't really matter at all.

Are you thinking the longer cutters require more power? I'd think it was just the edge that matters, not the length.
The longer cutter design generally has the depth guage farther forward and the space between the depth guage and the cutting edge is more.

We have one of those here too and they don't have any either. I would have tried some if they had any loops - of course it's unlikely anything they had would have fit any of my saws.
In my area the PS chain at Stihl dealers, is a bit like the old " girlie" magazines of the past ( Hidden under the counter & sold in a plain brown wrapper) You have to know to ask. they don't want the " Numptys" using a chain marketed in the US as non safety "yellow" in case they hurt themselves. It's OK when they know you, ( The Nanny state rearing it's ugly head again ) I find it the best cutting longest "tween" sharpening with PS3 a close second as in earlier post I have had problems with VXL chattering with out having to file to cure it but having said that I have not used Blount produced 3/8 Lo Pro chains for some time. I note there is a source on Flea bay for PS chain by the guy who sells sells Stihl saws with loooooong bars & Lo Pro chains it's listed as Stihl Race Chain I'm sure there are more outlets so I guess still available.

What would you guys recommend for use on a Craftsman/Poulan 2000 with a 14" bar? It does have the original poulan bar on it. I have been looking at the Oregon VXL, mostly because of price, as I don't use this saw daily. It will be used more for limbing and trimming around a farm. The bigger work gets put to the 039 I have. It currently is running the Oregon 91PX safety chain. I removed the humps from the tie straps and it is cutting a lot better. I just need a couple more chains as this is the only chain I have for this saw.

I note there is a source on Flea bay for PS chain by the guy who sells sells Stihl saws with loooooong bars & Lo Pro chains it's listed as Stihl Race Chain
That would be Piltz who from what I hear makes decent sprockets but his small cube/long bar saws are a joke/scam.

What would you guys recommend for use on a Craftsman/Poulan 2000 with a 14" bar? It does have the original poulan bar on it. I have been looking at the Oregon VXL, mostly because of price, as I don't use this saw daily. It will be used more for limbing and trimming around a farm. The bigger work gets put to the 039 I have. It currently is running the Oregon 91PX safety chain. I removed the humps from the tie straps and it is cutting a lot better. I just need a couple more chains as this is the only chain I have for this saw.
Going on price to performance, the VXL is hard to beat. I was thinking I would add a loop of PS3 to my collection for when I know I will be cutting hardwood as the significant decrease in time per cut helps justify the price.

IIRC I have 4 saws that use lo profile and most of my chain collection right now includes either VX or some type of safety chain that I acquired at very low prices. I'll keep my eye out for PS3.

LCS had some awesome deals on GB bars with VX or VXL chain this summer but it looks like much of that is sold out now. Had I known I was going to acquire all these saws that use A041 pattern bars I would have bought a few!

I have PS on my MS201C-E (rear handle) & PS3 on my MS200 (also rear handle). I have not timed the cuts, but they both are smooth & much faster than the Oregon (it's been so long I don't remember the type). After trying the PS &
PS3, I never looked back. The only downside I can see to the PS3 is the need for a lot more flat filing when it is time to lower the rakers.

Yeah, I heard the rumors not too long ago about discontinuing PS, so I did some checking. Both Stihl & my local dealers said they had no knowledge of such a plan. The dealers said that they had plenty in stock & that their distributors had plenty. I don't know where that idea started, but I think it was a false alarm.

The last couple of days, I put 3-4 tanks through the 201 felling, trimming, & bucking 2 of the 3 trunks of an old apple tree which were 10-15in. dia. The wood was 95% green, the saw was self feeding beautifully, & the chain (PS) is still sharp! Fun cutting!!

I have not used them but some folk find some of the cheaper (manufactured god knows where) chain works OK for lesser used saws, it really depends on your expectations. I would use Stihl PS or PS3 but for lesser use I have had good results from Carlton Lo Pro chain although where I live it's getting a bit difficult to source.

Back