.325 narrow kerf chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first got my 346 I done a little comparison with the narrow kerf semi chisel, and the LPX full chisel. Basicly I felt not much difference, and not much of a difference on the stop watch either, it kinda flip flopped back and forth between the fastest chain depending on the wood. In the softer green hardwoods, the LPX was faster by a small bit, in the harder and drier stuff, not much difference.

I think a semi chisel chain will cut more wood between sharpenings, and that makes for a little longer life span out of a semi chisel chain.

Main reason I switched my 346 to 3/8s is to simplify my saw box a bit. All my saws now wear 3/8s. Makes for 1 size file to buy, and I can swap chains about between saws if I want to. I ran a loop of 3/8s square filed on my 346 the other day :)msp_smile:) just to play with it. Dropped a 16'' Poplar and bucked it into log length,,, The square was by far faster than the rest, and the 346 had plenty of juice to pull a 20'' loop.

I suggest get a couple different loops and try it for yourself and see what ya like. Right now all my saws is wearing 3/8s RSC. :cheers:

I just ordered a couple loops of LPX from eBay, $20 ea., free shipping. He's got other lengths as well.

My ported 346 XP should arrive in a few days, first thing I'm going to do with it is make some videos of cuts with Oregon VPX (narrow kerf), LPX, and BPX. I'm mainly interested in the comparison between VPX and BPX, since the dead ash I'll mostly be cutting rapidly dulls the LPX. I've already got lots of .325 bars, so 3/8ths will have to wait, and besides based on other videos here at AS it appears that a 346 XP will not benefit from 3/8ths unless it has a pop-up.

After I determine the fastest semi-chisel chain, the real fun starts: I'll be bolting on a Zama C3-EL42 carb (357 XP carb) for some before and after videos.

I for one will be waiting on the video's.

I just ordered a couple loops of LPX from eBay, $20 ea., free shipping. He's got other lengths as well.

My ported 346 XP should arrive in a few days, first thing I'm going to do with it is make some videos of cuts with Oregon VPX (narrow kerf), LPX, and BPX. I'm mainly interested in the comparison between VPX and BPX, since the dead ash I'll mostly be cutting rapidly dulls the LPX. I've already got lots of .325 bars, so 3/8ths will have to wait, and besides based on other videos here at AS it appears that a 346 XP will not benefit from 3/8ths unless it has a pop-up.

After I determine the fastest semi-chisel chain, the real fun starts: I'll be bolting on a Zama C3-EL42 carb (357 XP carb) for some before and after videos.
I cut a lot of ash, much of it dead, and the 20BPX works very well - using a 20" bar on 46cc Poulan, so you've really got no excuse on a 346!:hmm3grin2orange:

BTW - the 50cc Poulan 5020 comes with 3/8".

Last edited:
That's good to know, since I've got a few loops of BPX on the way.

The NK is left over from my 445, I wouldn't bother testing otherwise. If it performs close to standard kerf, I may as well use it.

That's good to know, since I've got a few loops of BPX on the way.

The NK is left over from my 445, I wouldn't bother testing otherwise. If it performs close to standard kerf, I may as well use it.

You'll get better performance from NK on smaller saws, but there will be less difference on bigger saws since they are stronger and the NK don't do much difference. But you'll never get worse performance from NK, it's just that they won't be any better either.

.325 Oregon LP/LPX is what I prefere. I run 21LP/LPX on standard bars, but 20LPX will work on the NK bar, since it is .050.

Baileys had some 18" NK bar and chain combos awhile back. I think they were .043 gauge.

I got two of the combos and have one on a 120 Super with a 9 pin, great firewood combo.

I'm bad,

it is .050 gauge. But the bar/chain combo was less than a safety chain at the box stores.

You'll get better performance from NK on smaller saws, but there will be less difference on bigger saws since they are stronger and the NK don't do much difference. But you'll never get worse performance from NK, it's just that they won't be any better either.

Good! Maybe NK will be the way to go then, less weight and easy to get at box stores. I had wondered if maybe the standard kerf allowed for better chip clearance, but then it makes bigger chips so relatively there's probably no difference.

I used to use 95vp quite a bit on my 350 and 353 huskys and liked it just fine. Yeah its not as fast as LPX but it pulls easy and keeps a edge alot longer in less then clean wood.

At the end of the day it is actally faster in the long run alot of times.

Good! Maybe NK will be the way to go then, less weight and easy to get at box stores. I had wondered if maybe the standard kerf allowed for better chip clearance, but then it makes bigger chips so relatively there's probably no difference.

Probably right, but in some situations a wider kerf will be helpful - it is not a big factor anyway.

Bottom line is that each and everyone should try the options, to find out what fits their needs best.

I used to use 95vp quite a bit on my 350 and 353 huskys and liked it just fine. Yeah its not as fast as LPX but it pulls easy and keeps a edge alot longer in less then clean wood.

At the end of the day it is actally faster in the long run alot of times.

I have mostly used 95VP/H30 on my 353 as well - it seems to fit that saw better than it fits the 346xp.
Also, it works fine on the 339xp.

The chains I've seen available at the box stores around here start at $24 and go up to $30. Seems a tad ridiculous if you ask me.

I have mostly used 95VP/H30 on my 353 as well

That's what came on my 353, and it works well. The only issue I have had with it is that the thinner bar tends to flex if I try to file the chains without using some type of stiffener behind it.

The chains I've seen available at the box stores around here start at $24 and go up to $30. Seems a tad ridiculous if you ask me.

Yes. I can get a STIHL loop from my local dealer for the same or less than what some of the hardware and home center stores charge. Without naming names, that blue chain store appears to charge list price for Oregon and Husqvarna brand chains; that orange chain store sells the 'OOO' Chinese chain for the same price as the Oregon stuff; that 'store where America shops' marks Oregon chain up, because it is sold in their store brand box.

However, we have some regional home center stores, and farm & fleet type stores, where Oregon brand chain is regularly priced 20% - 30% lower than the guys above (and less when on sale).

But none of these guys carry any specialty chains, or non-standard loop sizes. Got to go to a local dealer/shop, or one of the catalog specialty guys, for that.

Philbert

All the box store chains around here is safety chain, mostly the Oregon with the bent over raker, Vanguard I think is the name of it.

That's what came on my 353, and it works well. The only issue I have had with it is that the thinner bar tends to flex if I try to file the chains without using some type of stiffener behind it.

Yes. I can get a STIHL loop from my local dealer for the same or less than what some of the hardware and home center stores charge. Without naming names, that blue chain store appears to charge list price for Oregon and Husqvarna brand chains; that orange chain store sells the 'OOO' Chinese chain for the same price as the Oregon stuff; that 'store where America shops' marks Oregon chain up, because it is sold in their store brand box.

However, we have some regional home center stores, and farm & fleet type stores, where Oregon brand chain is regularly priced 20% - 30% lower than the guys above (and less when on sale).

But none of these guys carry any specialty chains, or non-standard loop sizes. Got to go to a local dealer/shop, or one of the catalog specialty guys, for that.

Philbert

I list Husqvarna chain at list price, and it's most certainly not what box stores charge. The 20" loop of 72V for a Rancher at the store that sounds a lot like "blows" was $30!!! List price is $20.90 for that chain. Even the plastic clamshell packaging lists at $24.80 - which is probably what the put it "on sale" for when they have a sale.

The place that sounds like "beers" has 455 Ranchers for a supposed regular price of like $490 - and conveniently they're on sale allllll the time for the actual list price of $399. They're really assuming that people don't shop around or do any research with the way they price things - and they're probably right!!

Latest posts

Back