346 OE with a compression release valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant offer any help on the cylinder type. But maybe on the letter "A". Usually companies like Mahle size their pistons and cylinders into three catagories: A, B & C. A being smallest and B being biggest. We are talking about acceptable tollerance in mass production runs. Pistons have a letter stamped on the crown. You should always try to use a "A" piston in a "A" cylinder etc.

That is true, but C is of course larger than B. ;)

Anyway, I don't think it is possible to ID a cylinder model based on the numbers around that letter.

@mainewoods, for a certain ID, we need the numbers/letters at the base of the cylinder (Mahle casting number). A measurement of the bore (trough the exhaust port) may also lead to an ID, depending of what that measurement is.

I have a new caliper on the way. I wouldn't think someone would put a 353 cylinder on a 346 though, but I could be wrong. I've found stranger things on other saws I've bought over the years. The price was right any way. It runs when bottle fed but wouldn't pick up fuel once it's gone. Replaced the fuel line as it looked pinched and quite soft. Not sure how much the seller tried to get it running so I'll see. I bought a Husky 50 a few years ago that wouldn't start, turned out there was a nest of mice in the filter, literally. Ya never know!

If you took some pics of the cylinder from different angles, someone might be able to tell what it is without knowing the Mahle casting numbers.

A new gas line took care of the fuel issue. Coughed on the 4 th pull, started on the 5th. One pull warm after that. I had a 353 once, but this thing screams. Don't believe it has no 353 cylinder on it, like Don said.

Maybe these will help on the ID. The sun was setting and the brookies were jumpin, so I was in a hurry. lol
IMAG0103.JPG

just means that piston can go in A or B cylinder no problems

Yes, and I believe most of the pistons are AB.

One of my 346NE cylinders is A, the other is B.

Also, I suspect that the letters beyond B no longer is in use - at least I haven't seen or heard of it on any reasonably new saws.

I'm with ST here, looks like a 44.3mm NE jug.

Every OE jug I've seen has a blue 42 stamped on the top and no decomp valve.

Yes - but they do have a prepared place for boring and tapping a decomp hole, don't they?

I was "hunting" for any other differences, like in the cooling fins or the bulges outside the transfers?

The top of the cylinders look the same to me (apart from the blue number) - but I don't have any pics of the 42mm ones from other angles.

Yes, and I believe most of the pistons are AB.

One of my 346NE cylinders is A, the other is B.

Also, I suspect that the letters beyond B no longer is in use - at least I haven't seen or heard of it on any reasonably new saws.

yeah I guess manufacturing tollerances have improved over the last 30 years

Back