346xp Cylinder kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tater28

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for a p&c kit for my 346xp. I'm kind of hung up between choosing the 44mm kit and 45mm big bore kit. Just wanted to get opinions and suggestions from those more experienced than myself.

I'm looking for a p&c kit for my 346xp. I'm kind of hung up between choosing the 44mm kit and 45mm big bore kit. Just wanted to get opinions and suggestions from those more experienced than myself.

Most kits I've seen are 45mm. Nothing wrong with 5 more cc's. Problem is to find a kit that's well made. Don't know if Meteor has a complete kit( I know they sell pistons). If they did that's what I would buy.
Bob

Most kits I've seen are 45mm. Nothing wrong with 5 more cc's. Problem is to find a kit that's well made. Don't know if Meteor has a complete kit( I know they sell pistons). If they did that's what I would buy.
Bob

The 45mm kit I am looking at is from MB Chainsaw on eBay. I'm not sure about the quality of it but it is more in line with my budget for this project.

The 45mm kit I am looking at is from MB Chainsaw on eBay. I'm not sure about the quality of it but it is more in line with my budget for this project.

How bad is your cylinder? Maybe it can be cleaned up with a little muriatic acid and 220 grit sandpaper. Then you can pick up a meteor piston for about $30 and a set of rings.
That's what I did.
Bob

How bad is your cylinder? Maybe it can be cleaned up with a little muriatic acid and 220 grit sandpaper. Then you can pick up a meteor piston for about $30 and a set of rings.
That's what I did.
Bob

I picked the saw up from a shop in town, it was going to be used for parts. It just happened to be missing the cylinder and piston

Saw his Ebay listing. Price is fair. You might ask who makes the kit. I've also heard good things about KAFAR. MIght want to do a search here as I recall his name coming up .

Saw his Ebay listing. Price is fair. You might ask who makes the kit. I've also heard good things about KAFAR. MIght want to do a search here as I recall his name coming up .

I have one of the BB kits from KAFAR on my 372. I did a little port work on it. I've ran about 10 or 12 tanks of fuel thru it and it is doing good so far.

Personally I'd go with oem parts. An excellent saw deserve top quality parts. There are a couple Husky dealers that hang around this site that offer very good prices.

A true 346xp kit should be 44.3mm. The 45mm kits likely really are 353 kits, that despite more cc will put out less power.
A lot of different kits will fit, and is listed for the 346xp, but they won't produce 346xp power.

Look further into the "44mm" kits, and find out which ones actually are 44.3, and ported like the OEM 346xp top end - or just buy an OEM one!

Bob
The difference between the OEM 44.3mm top end and a 45mm one is 1.6cc (51.7 vs. 50.1), far from "5 more cc"....

A true 44mm kit is likely to be an open port, based on the original 350/351 top end, 49.4cc.

The difference between the OEM 44.3mm top end and a 45mm one is 1.6cc (51.7 vs. 50.1), far from "5 more cc"....

A true 44mm kit is likely to be an open port, based on the original 350/351 top end, 49.4cc.

Thanks for clarifying the correct size for me. That was another problem I was having, trying to figure out what size was actually OEM size. From what I have figured out, correct me if Im wrong, is that the newer 346 saws have the 44.3mm bore while older saws are smaller. The one I have says 45cc so I am guessing that is 41 or 42mm. Will the 44.3mm P&C work on this saw?

This is the kit that Kafar on eBay sells really is a nice kit.
6e51513534b6d08db380901c7c11a434.jpg

Thanks for clarifying the correct size for me. That was another problem I was having, trying to figure out what size was actually OEM size. From what I have figured out, correct me if Im wrong, is that the newer 346 saws have the 44.3mm bore while older saws are smaller. The one I have says 45cc so I am guessing that is 41 or 42mm. Will the 44.3mm P&C work on this saw?

It will! :msp_smile:

The 45cc one is 42mm.

I believe Spike60 posted on another thread, lately, that he could sell an OEM (genuine Husky) P&C (for a 346) for about 150$. That is just going from memory.

If you consider the potential problems (CLIPS, poor castings, 'snagged rings', ETC) that are there with aftermarket kits, and factor in the Reasonable cost of OE (in this example), In my opinion this is a no-brainer. On a 346, Go OE!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back