346xp Cylinder kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the kit that Kafar on eBay sells really is a nice kit.
6e51513534b6d08db380901c7c11a434.jpg

The one thing I have against this kit is the cast piston other than that I would give it a shot

I realize that using OEM is always best when replacing parts. But I'm looking at the $$. If I'm not careful I will have more money in thing than its worth. The best looking offer I have found on a aftermarket kit is for a 45mm kit. Is there any power to be lost or gained by using a bigger bore?

Well it appears Meteor doesn't make a cylinder kit for the 346, that I can find.

Kafar has a 44.3mm kit listed. You could get that and run a nice meteor piston and probably wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. Of course if you do that the price would be getting close to OEM....:(

The 45mm are probably 353 kits. Not sure how different the aftermarket kits are either.

Last edited:
Well it appears Meteor doesn't make a cylinder kit for the 346, that I can find.

Kafar has a 44.3mm kit listed. You could get that and run a nice meteor piston and probably wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. Of course if you do that the price would be getting close to OEM....:(

The 45mm are probably 353 kits. Not sure how different the aftermarket kits are either.

Yeah that's the other option I was looking at. But I can't help but wander how well a ported 45mm will run lol

Sorry, a little late to respond. No kit from Meteor for the 346, Chinese kit is the equivalent of the NWP, not a bad kit, add a Meteor piston with Caber rings and your looking at $115 shipped.

Quality aftermarket kit For Husqvarna 346 350 & 353 chainsaw Open port cylinder
Includes: cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, cir clips
44mm bore

The 353 aftermarket kits are closed port, currently I'm out of stock on the Meteor piston to fit it. Those kits also come with these things and run 97.99, add a Meteor piston your around $141 shipped.

Quality aftermarket big bore kit
For Husqvarna 340 345 346 350 353 chainsaw
Closed port cylinder with double ring piston
Includes: cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, cir clips, bottom bracket (for 340 & 345)
With base & exhaust gasket, decompression valve, pin bearing, spark plug
Everything you need to upgrade you saw to 45mm

Last edited:
Thats sounds like a good deal Randy. I wouldn't have so much a problem running a Chinese cylinder if it had a nice piston and rings ,like a Meteor. A fella could modify the exhaust port bevel/shape on the cylinder if it needed some help. Hard to make a piston any better ;).

Heck even the Chinese pistons may be ok. It sure does make a mess out of everything if a piston fails. Usually involves a lot of work getting the bottom end cleaned back out...just not worth the saving to me to run a cheap piston. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on this...thats just mine :laugh:.

Im cornfused after the edit :laugh:. Is the 115$ kit an open port 44.3mm cylinder kit?
.....and the 141$ kit a closed port 45mm cylinder kit?

Last edited:
If so, that 346 kit is not a proper one - simple as that!

A 44mm open port kit should be sold as a (non-EPA) 350 kit. There is no excuse for calling it a 346xp kit!

Actually, I would have called the fraud squad, if you sold one to me, saying it was a 346xp kit.

Of course it fits on the 346xp, lots of different kits do that - but it doesn't mean they are 346xp kits!

Actually, I would have called the fraud squad, if you sold one to me, saying it was a 346xp kit.

Of course it fits on the 346xp, lots of different kits do that - but it doesn't mean they are 346xp kits!

just out of curiosity....... who is the manufacturer of OEM cylinders/pistons for husq?

...on their site....they solicit bids i see

from husq mother site:

Global Purchasing | Husqvarna Purchase

Commodities | Husqvarna Purchase

Cylinders & Pistons | Husqvarna Purchase

Last edited:
just out of curiosity....... who is the OEM manufacturer of pistons for husq?

...on their site....they solicit bids i see

Mahle regarding the 346xp, as far as I know. However, they use Gilardoni as well, and at least have used KolbenSmidth - not sure if KS still is around?

The kit fits the 346, 350 and 353 and the 353 kit comes with an adapter to fit 340/345 saws as well. If I actually made the kits, then they would have been closed port like Husqvarna makes them.. you have the option to not buy one or buy from Husky, not twisting any arms here, just giving the details.

The kit fits the 346, 350 and 353 and the 353 kit comes with an adapter to fit 340/345 saws as well. If I actually made the kits, then they would have been closed port like Husqvarna makes them.. you have the option to not buy one or buy from Husky, not twisting any arms here, just giving the details.

Well, there is a difference between stating a kit will fit a specific model, and stating that it is a kit for that model. Both of the kits you mentioned earlier obviously will fith both the 346, 353 and 350 (and more), but none of them should be presented as a 346xp kit!

Back