346xp Cylinder kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just wondering why, if the 346xp is so good (and I am sure it is), why is it so hard, maybe impossible, and confusing, to get a quality aftermarket P&C. I would think those companies would be falling over each other to get them on the market. I wouldn't mind upgrading my 2152 someday.

If you really want to upgrade, Buy Original Equipment, in this case.

For what it's worth, I like my 2152, just he way it is.

Saw his Ebay listing. Price is fair. You might ask who makes the kit. I've also heard good things about KAFAR. MIght want to do a search here as I recall his name coming up .

I've been doing business with them for years (Kafar). Lucas sold out new owner is Janie. I like their 346XP kit. Did a WP on one for a Pro carver 2 years ago haven't heard from him since. Actually I did and had to do another P&C for that saw. DO NOT!!!!!! use the supplied circlips in these kits use OEM. Price is competitive.
Shep

I've been doing business with them for years (Kafar). Lucas sold out new owner is Janie. I like their 346XP kit. Did a WP on one for a Pro carver 2 years ago haven't heard from him since. Actually I did and had to do another P&C for that saw. DO NOT!!!!!! use the supplied circlips in these kits use OEM. Price is competitive.
Shep

Whatcha talking bout Willis? This post is cornfusing me.
you like the 346xp kit from Kafar. You did a WP for a Pro carver 2 years ago and hven't heard from him since. Then, you actually did and had to do another top end kit for "that" saw. :msp_unsure:

Did you do the WP on the Kafar 346xp kit for the Pro carver? Did the Kafar 346xp kit that you did the WP on for the Pro carver shuck a circlip? :confused:

What OEM circlip fits the Kafar 346XP kit? And what ring did you use?
You confused yet? :hmm3grin2orange:

Whatcha talking bout Willis? This post is cornfusing me.
you like the 346xp kit from Kafar. You did a WP for a Pro carver 2 years ago and hven't heard from him since. Then, you actually did and had to do another top end kit for "that" saw. :msp_unsure:

Did you do the WP on the Kafar 346xp kit for the Pro carver? Did the Kafar 346xp kit that you did the WP on for the Pro carver shuck a circlip? :confused:

What OEM circlip fits the Kafar 346XP kit? And what ring did you use?
You confused yet? :hmm3grin2orange:

Yes it was a Kafar kit for the "Pro" carver.
The circlip broke half is still in the piston the other half is embedded in the side of the piston.
Yes I did another top end for that saw no charge paid for return ship back to him.
OEM circlip is what i used on the replaced P&C.
Used the ring that came with it.
The replacement top end has been in service for 2 years. I assume it has held up as I have not heard from him.
Yep! totally confused.
hope I answered to unconfuse you HaHa!
Shep

Yes it was a Kafar kit for the "Pro" carver.
The circlip broke half is still in the piston the other half is embedded in the side of the piston.
Yes I did another top end for that saw no charge paid for return ship back to him.
OEM circlip is what i used on the replaced P&C.
Used the ring that came with it.
The replacement top end has been in service for 2 years. I assume it has held up as I have not heard from him.
Yep! totally confused.
hope I answered to unconfuse you HaHa!
Shep

Yep. Clear as mud now, thanks. :hmm3grin2orange:
That's about what I thought I was reading, it sounded like you had inverted the sequence of events in your original post, thanks for the rest of the story.

One thing you didn't answer is which OEM circlip you used? Did you use the Husky 346xp piston circlips? On some of the Stihl AM piston kits you need to fit the correct dia. circlip for that particular AM piston. That doesn't always mean to use the exact OEM circlip for the model saw that you're building. I just want to clarify if this can be the same case with some aftermarket Husky piston kits. Make sense, or just more corfusion? :msp_razz:
Thanks for the info.

This is the kit that Kxxxr on eBay sells really is a nice kit.
6e51513534b6d08db380901c7c11a434.jpg

Im looking for replacment c&p on 346xp i was thinking of using this cylinder and getting a meteor piston.

any one have experince with this kit, piston finish looks iffy,

but what do i know

thanks sam

Im looking for replacment c&p on 346xp i was thinking of using this cylinder and getting a meteor piston.

any one have experince with this kit, piston finish looks iffy,

but what do i know

thanks sam

I have ran this kit for awhile now it's a very nice kit. The piston looks bad in the photo but it is just fine just has some kind of coating on it.

thanks for the ripply Spectraman

you running it on your 350 or a 346xp - stock or did you modify it at all.
Sounds like you were happy with the quality, ports looked right and all?

i emailed them asking about cyl lining, and got a fast ripply "crome plated"

thanks sam

"I sell the OEM 2153/346 top end for $200. And for whatever reason, the OE 346 top end is cheaper still. I sell them for just $150. No need to mess with aftermarket stuff."---spike60

From spike60's post on 12/7/12

"the OE 346 top end is cheaper still. I sell them for just $150."---spike60
I need a top end for a scored up 346xp can you get a hold of me please? Not very experienced with this site yet! Let me know !!

I need a top end for a scored up 346xp can you get a hold of me please? Not very experienced with this site yet! Let me know !!
Contact spike60, he is the one who has oem 346 top ends for $200.

Husqvarna Jonsered

Ashokan Turf and Timber

845-657-6395
25 years EXP
Over 100 saws in stock including most "G" models

I have installed a new oem husqvarna 44mm 350 flat top piston/cylinder on my 346xp oe. Just wondering if there are any modifications I should have done to the cylinder? The pulse hole on the old 346xp cylinder is not exactly the same as the 350 cylinder I installed. Otherwise everything bolted right up.

I have installed a new oem husqvarna 44mm 350 flat top piston/cylinder on my 346xp oe. Just wondering if there are any modifications I should have done to the cylinder? The pulse hole on the old 346xp cylinder is not exactly the same as the 350 cylinder I installed. Otherwise everything bolted right up.
It's pretty much a bolt on. That's a pretty big step backwards in performance. What's the original 42mm jug look like?

The 346xp cylinder Exhaust port took a thrashing. I cleaned it up but would probably need at least a B piston and then not even sure the fit would be right without the piston in hand to check. I had the 350 top end laying around for years so I thought I would use it and experiment. I have a 346xp oe already and use it alot and a Husky 353 so doesn't matter what performance comes out of this one. Thank you for responding cuinrearview.........

Brand new here, found the site and this thread while trying to figure out how to fix my 346xp. The piston and cylinder took a beating and I get practically no compression. The existing cylinder is a Mahle 42ZN15 W1 and I can't really seem to find anything for that. Looking it up on the Husky parts diagram shows the complete P&C # as 503 86 98-71. That returns all sorts of options for 350 and big bore and all listed as 45mm and they all seem to have a decompression valve, which my current one does not. I'm confused as to what I can use and what's a good option, any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

IMG_6768.JPG IMG_6769.JPG IMG_6771.JPG IMG_6772.JPG IMG_6773.JPG IMG_6774.JPG

Brand new here, found the site and this thread while trying to figure out how to fix my 346xp. The piston and cylinder took a beating and I get practically no compression. The existing cylinder is a Mahle 42ZN15 W1 and I can't really seem to find anything for that. Looking it up on the Husky parts diagram shows the complete P&C # as 503 86 98-71. That returns all sorts of options for 350 and big bore and all listed as 45mm and they all seem to have a decompression valve, which my current one does not. I'm confused as to what I can use and what's a good option, any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

View attachment 775939 View attachment 775940 View attachment 775941 View attachment 775942 View attachment 775943 View attachment 775944
If the cylinder will clean up, just put a new meteor piston in. Or get a new oem P&C for it. Well worth fixing.

View attachment 775939 View attachment 775940 View attachment 775941 View attachment 775942 View attachment 775943 View attachment 775944
I’ve cleaned up lots worse than that, pop a new metal clamp on the intake, Meteor piston, new fuel line, cut wood. Be sure to take it down to the bearings and reseal the lower end, best firewood saw out there, and I’m a Stihl guy.

Back