357xp mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tothemax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone have any mods that I can do to this saw? Tip speed is great but I'm always looking to improve it.

Thanks

Check squish & delete base gasket, then do a muffler mod. Good gains here. Next step is porting.

357 is an impressive saw!

Thanks for the reply. Can you expand on the check squish?

How do you seal the cylinder head to the case with no gasket?

Thanks again

Easier if you search squish & base gasket delete. But squish is the clearance between the piston and top of cylinder. You want that the be around .020" and that is usually what you get when the gasket is removed. There are a number of sealants to use at the base of the cylinder.

Ok I Googled and read up on the squish. Easy enough to do.

I feel comfortable porting and if I read right, removing a 1/8" around the exhaust is the way to go. Do you keep the same outward bevel or is it 1/8" from exhaust to the piston?

What about intake side? Just polish?

Thanks for all the help

Don't mess with the bottom or top of the ports, this changes timing. Just widen them about 1/8". The outlet of the exhaust port can be opened up a fair bit. No need to polish the intake. Do a lot more reading before ya do any grinding, that's a very good saw.

OK. So I did a little more reading.

If I understand right just bore out the exhaust 1/8" on the left and right side of the port. Dont touch Upper and lower parts. Polish and Nothing else is needed.

Also, the muffler should be opened up by drilling out the middle baffle as much as possible. Along with that, a 1" hole along with a pipe should be welded into the upper corner of the muffler.

Does that sound right? Any other things I should do? I know I am asking lots of questions but I want to get this right before I start cutting.

OK. So I did a little more reading.

If I understand right just bore out the exhaust 1/8" on the left and right side of the port. Dont touch Upper and lower parts. Polish and Nothing else is needed.

Also, the muffler should be opened up by drilling out the middle baffle as much as possible. Along with that, a 1" hole along with a pipe should be welded into the upper corner of the muffler.

Does that sound right? Any other things I should do? I know I am asking lots of questions but I want to get this right before I start cutting.
1"! Really? Where did you read that info from? That's the huge whole in addition to the stock port on the muffler. At that point why put a muffler lol

You need better tools for muffler modding than you do grinding on a cylinder. A good rule of thumb for muffler outlet is 3/4 the size of the cylinder exhaust port opening. Plus the additional enlarging to compensate for what the screen restricts. Usually anything in the muffler that prevents the volume of flow is removed with cutting burrs and other tedious methods.
Matching the cylinder transfers where they meet the case will give it very good gains along with the muffler mod.

The 1" was in a thread I read last night. Can't remember where

I found a moded 357 muffler on ebay for 50$ last night. Would it be easier just to buy it and bolt it on?

When you talk about matching cylinder transfers, can you expand on that? Thanks.

I found a moded 357 muffler on ebay for 50$ last night. Would it be easier just to buy it and bolt it on?

When you talk about matching cylinder transfers, can you expand on that? Thanks.
$50 isn't a bad price for a modded muffler and it's an easy bolt on.

Port matching the lower transfers, just match the lowers in the cylinder to case. Use the base gasket to compare.

That's not really a modded muffler, it's the way they come stock on the saws in Europe and other parts of the world. Probably a little more open than a USA model but still could use to be opened up some more.
Assuming yours isn't a cat muffler you can just open it up as much as you can under the stock deflector, then add an additional port if you decide you want more. A simple vertical slit on one side that's pryed open like a louver vent works fine...

Latest posts

Back