357xp mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I checked compression prior to tearing it down I got 130. Piston and cyl look good.

Yes I am cranking till it stops.

Any suggestions on a new quality gauge?
The tester I have in the picture I use is an Actron and I bought it at Sears. Ive used it on boat motors, cars engines and small engines of all kinds, came with multiple adapters for different plug threads also, accurate and durable. I paid around $35 for it.

Did you use a new piston ring? If not did you check the end gap of ring when you had things apart?. If your gauge is accurate maybe rings are wore a little. 20 psi bump sounds about right for a gasket delete.

Did you use a new piston ring? If not did you check the end gap of ring when you had things apart?. If your gauge is accurate maybe rings are wore a little. 20 psi bump sounds about right for a gasket delete.

It's the original piston ring

No I didn't check. Figured 130 was fine.

I could install a new ring..

Shame you have to break it down again

Meh. Takes 10 mins...

The new compression tester came in. Spot on with the reading on the other.

I got the muffler modded today. Drilled out the guts and cut a 3/4" hole in it. Got a little pipe welded on too.

The rings came in this afternoon. Ill try and get it installed and do a comp test tomorrow.

I have not had a chance to install the new ring. I have been busy fighting wildland fires and this is my first day home in a while. Back at it again tomorrow.

Just checked it again. 150 is what I got.

As far as the tester goes I bought it new last year. I have gotten a few funky reading out of it. Figured it was the O ring letting air by. Whenever I put my air compressor air gun to it, it reads close to what the output pressure says on the regulator.

Tests you run yourself are worth more than what people say on a forum.

Hindsight 20/20, I know. But reading stuff here had made me just "know" things that contradict better judgement, or at least skip actual diagnostics.

Well I got it put back together the other day. New Caber ring installed and compression jumped up to 175. I am awaiting a exhaust gasket from the local dealership. They ordered in a head gasket on accident. I did start it up and let it idle for a min then gave it a couple quick revs. Sounds and runs great.

Well I got it put back together the other day. New Caber ring installed and compression jumped up to 175. I am awaiting a exhaust gasket from the local dealership. They ordered in a head gasket on accident. I did start it up and let it idle for a min then gave it a couple quick revs. Sounds and runs great.
That comp sounds much better and will climb a bit after a few tanks of fuel.

This is my results when i did mine
76c2718c1fa25e2e6653de09ce6f72b4.jpg
Before gasket delete and only a couple of pulls

8ae44491faf76ea2ba84378070175db7.jpg
after delete and few pulls

Latest posts

Back