372 engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff93

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody tried running one of these complete engines that are sold for about $150 for these? I have a 372 that has slung the crank bearings apart. I'll be needing a crank and a piston and cylinder anyway. I might need a case as well due the crank bearing issue but I haven't torn it all down yet. I like the saw and want to use it again.

I'd tear it all down first and see what you really need.

Are you positive the crank is actually bad, or just the crank bearings?
The cases could likely be fine.
Heck, the cylinder might be salvageable, and you'd only be out bearings, seals, and a new piston, less than 100 bucks.
IMO the aftermarket stuff like that is a downgrade. You'd be better off salvaging the OEM parts (And use a meteor piston).
Bearings can be had for around $10 apiece, gasket set w\ seals, around $15, meteor piston, $45.
I don't know what a new OEM crank costs, but I'd guess around $200, new cases are likely expensive as well. It then becomes cost prohibitive to rebuild the saw OEM.
So you see why it's important to see what you really need to replace, instead of just assuming everything is bad.

Tear it down! And post up pictures!

Yup, get some pictures up here!

BTW, is this an old edition 372, or Xtorq 372? (decomp on the side, or top cover?)

Anybody tried running one of these complete engines that are sold for about $150 for these? I have a 372 that has slung the crank bearings apart. I'll be needing a crank and a piston and cylinder anyway. I might need a case as well due the crank bearing issue but I haven't torn it all down yet. I like the saw and want to use it again.
No offense, but if you replace the crankcase, crankshaft, piston, and cylinder, what doese that leave you? Fuel tank and clutch cover? From my perspective, that would be downright stupid as you're well into new saw territory.

For $150 its seems like someone on AS should give one of these a shot, I was wondering if they are the same as a clone 365/372 that are kicking around. I would not want to build one of these for a anything but a weekend warrior type project.

Back