372 X-Torq

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Brad for helping with the pics. I sent him a pic of the piston a few minutes ago, and I have a couple more that will transfer bit by bit here on my home dial-up. Piston looks kind of like a 576 piston.

To answer a couple questions that have come up. No Cat muffler. Actually uses the same muffler as before. While the exhaust exits at the same point on the outside of the cylinder, the opening on the inside is somewhat higher, so the slope down to the muffler is much longer. Looks kind of strange.

The weight difference, if any, was not noticed by three of us who compared it to a standard 372.

What's the point of this thing anyway? Well, the main reason that this saw exists is that the 372 is a real tough act to follow. To the AVERAGE customer, who still wants to run a 372, he still can, he will be happy, and at this point I don't think he will notice a difference. Keep in mind that most guys never even take the cover off to check the air filter, let alone put the thing under a microscope like we're doing. So it's kind of a "walks like a duck" marketing approach. It's certainly the right way to go from a marketing standpoint, because I tried to order a couple more today, and they are backordered til August 25th.

But for us saw geeks, (that's what we are; Gary said so. LOL), is it really the same thing? My feeling is that no matter how real an artificial Christmas tree looks, it's still not a real tree, and I suppose I've got a similar attitude with this saw. The heart and soul of a saw is the P&C, and if you change them, is it still the same model?

So, how'd it run? Pretty good. Had the impression that it was just a 372 that had some breaking in to do. Not too sure that the acceleration was as good as normal either, but I was trying to be as critical as I could. Had I not disected the thing before hand, I'd have thought I was indeed running a good ole 372. Had the sound and had the feel. But I kept thinking there was something different. Most of this nonsense is probably in my head, because in my mind it's not really a 372, and I was all set to dislike it before I even took it out of the box. A more conclusive opinion can only come from running it side by side with some other saws.

How it compares to the old 372 may not be as important as how it compares to the 576. My personal opinion is that I'd rather have a 576AT than the 372 X-Torq. If your going to run a strato saw, why not run one that was designed that way from start to finish, instead of one that was converted from an older design?

I'll try shooting Brad another Pic or two, and I'm going out to the shop to look over the Lombard Comango I brought home today. Be back later.

Errors like that will bring a company to its knees.

Every manufacture has there "errors".

Isn't it said that you learn more from your failures?

Husky would have gained from their experiences with the 575/6 as every manufacture of various products.

They should be commended for what looks to be a winner here.

People will focus more on the success of this saw than focus on the shortcomings of the 575/6.

The 576 is in the same boat as some other strato's don't forget.

I wonder what the strategy will be of the manufacturers of these models?

Not unusual for a large company to have many R and D units. Perhaps the redmax team is working some designs and the husky group is trying others. The more saws and designs in the industry, the better it is for the consumer. Overall, it looks like we are the winners here.

Same thing with Coke and Coke II--more people liked Coke than Coke II in blind taste tests, but people identified so strongly with classic coca cola that their sales plummeted. Psychology and marketing is an interesting thing.

Wrong. It wasn't the identification with Coca-Cola Classic that made it more popular than Coke II, it was the fact than people prefered it over Coke II when they were given a full serving. The reason the Pepsi Challenge forced coke to make Coke II was that it was sweeter and thereby winning taste challenges that were based on only a few ounces. Pepsi's marketing strategy was killing them, they combated it with Coke II and won. Later on, they phased it out and things went back to normal. Now go back to pretending you were/are a law student.

As far as the new 372 goes, I REALLY hope it's a worthy opponent of the 441, even better actually, this way, both will get better and WE win.

Last edited:
Spike says it kinda feels like a 372 that needs a breaking in.

If the thing hasn't been broken in, that would make sense, as would some increase in zing once broken in.

The weight is supposed to be close to the real thing, but what is it?
(Spike...hint... don't make me call you and order stuff and ask:D)

I'm thinking that it's a Brilliant move on huskys part if they can replicate a real 372. All those nasty letters and death threats from the 372xp mafia mightjust have paid off.:D

The 576? Good saw, but there's more folks that find the 372 hit's the sweet spot and are more rabidly attached to them.
Alienating them in favor of the 576, would cost them more than the engineering and marketing the 372x-torq, cuz they would likely look to a 441 or 7900 out of spite.

In addition, this thing is a pre-production unit.
There may be more zing and grunt going into it.:rock:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think this was a production unit??? The 560 was a proto for sure but I think this was production???

Yeah, I mighta got my wires crossed with the 560.

All the same, if it's acting like a new 372, there's hope it will run in and wake up like a real 372.

The question is, will it really wake up with a Muff mod?
Porting potential?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Every manufacture has there "errors".

Isn't it said that you learn more from your failures?

Husky would have gained from their experiences with the 575/6 as every manufacture of various products.

They should be commended for what looks to be a winner here.

People will focus more on the success of this saw than focus on the shortcomings of the 575/6.

The 576 is in the same boat as some other strato's don't forget.

I wonder what the strategy will be of the manufacturers of these models?

Thanks to Brad for helping with the pics. I sent him a pic of the piston a few minutes ago, and I have a couple more that will transfer bit by bit here on my home dial-up. Piston looks kind of like a 576 piston.

To answer a couple questions that have come up. No Cat muffler. Actually uses the same muffler as before. While the exhaust exits at the same point on the outside of the cylinder, the opening on the inside is somewhat higher, so the slope down to the muffler is much longer. Looks kind of strange.

The weight difference, if any, was not noticed by three of us who compared it to a standard 372.

What's the point of this thing anyway? Well, the main reason that this saw exists is that the 372 is a real tough act to follow. To the AVERAGE customer, who still wants to run a 372, he still can, he will be happy, and at this point I don't think he will notice a difference. Keep in mind that most guys never even take the cover off to check the air filter, let alone put the thing under a microscope like we're doing. So it's kind of a "walks like a duck" marketing approach. It's certainly the right way to go from a marketing standpoint, because I tried to order a couple more today, and they are backordered til August 25th.

But for us saw geeks, (that's what we are; Gary said so. LOL), is it really the same thing? My feeling is that no matter how real an artificial Christmas tree looks, it's still not a real tree, and I suppose I've got a similar attitude with this saw. The heart and soul of a saw is the P&C, and if you change them, is it still the same model?

So, how'd it run? Pretty good. Had the impression that it was just a 372 that had some breaking in to do. Not too sure that the acceleration was as good as normal either, but I was trying to be as critical as I could. Had I not disected the thing before hand, I'd have thought I was indeed running a good ole 372. Had the sound and had the feel. But I kept thinking there was something different. Most of this nonsense is probably in my head, because in my mind it's not really a 372, and I was all set to dislike it before I even took it out of the box. A more conclusive opinion can only come from running it side by side with some other saws.

How it compares to the old 372 may not be as important as how it compares to the 576. My personal opinion is that I'd rather have a 576AT than the 372 X-Torq. If your going to run a strato saw, why not run one that was designed that way from start to finish, instead of one that was converted from an older design?

I'll try shooting Brad another Pic or two, and I'm going out to the shop to look over the Lombard Comango I brought home today. Be back later.

I see the new 372 as a saw for people that don't want a 576 only because it isn't a 372. It is great that Husqvarna is offering its loyal customers a choice, but I also think that if the 576 was everything it should be then the New 372 would not need to exist. I really think that the 576 might be better, but because it has always had the 372 lingering it has never had a fair shake.

I think this was a production unit??? The 560 was a proto for sure but I think this was production???

That's correct Mike. The 372X-Torq is a production unit, and they are on the dealer price list for anyone to order. 'Cept they ain't gettin any til Aug 25.

560XP that I have is a proto, and we won't see production of those saws til the end of the year. Now THAT is a saw to get excited about. :rockn:

Dinger is right about the 372 hitting the sweet spot, which is why they are keeping it going with this new version. Like I said, most guys who buy them will never notice a difference.

Last edited:
Barney34 is in the room tonight; gonna post anything?????

You see the deal about Aug 25th? You can have the one we ran yesterday if you'd like.

If I sell all my saws, I could have the first one and send it off for a massage :jawdrop:

But Im not big on change so Ill keep my junkers. :)

Spike, in a real world situation, with a customer walking in- which saw are you going to try to sell?
What pros/cons would you mention.

Same 372 muffler, same 372 sound. You'll be happier with that XPW I set aside for you though.

I'm smelly too, gonna jump in the shower.:laugh:

It's a strato in disguise to keep loyal Husky fans loyal Husky fans?!

Weird.

And yeah, shower sounds good right about now after a full day of doing firewood in the 90º muggy weather.

so presumably this will come in jonsered skin rather than the 576? It looks (and seems like) like it would be easier to wrap and style in jonsered clothes

Any other words from Jonsered? It'll be interesting to see what becomes of the 560 too...

If it runs as good as before and didn't gain a lot of weight like the 441 then they will probably be able to outsell the 576 by a big margin.

Spike, in a real world situation, with a customer walking in- which saw are you going to try to sell?
What pros/cons would you mention.

If he's already got his mind made up, you don't try to change it. So, if he wants a 372, I wouldn't say a word. It's still a good saw.

But if asked, I'd suggest the 576. Little more weight, little more power. Noticeably smoother, and the Auto-Tune, IMO is a big plus.

Back