372 XP super diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
372 XP super diesel eh?
Can't say I ever heard of that model...lol
I have a vid on here falling a 5.5 ft cottonwood with my 372 BB. It developed a large rip in the manifold cutting the tree before the one filmed and I tuned it back so It wouldn't lean out. Unless I used the dogs and applyed heavy load the saw wouldn't stop "fourstroking". If this is what's going on then it may have been tuned that way to run with the leak. The problem with a constant 4 stroking state and behond is you are causing a lot of damage.
Dose the decompression work? likely that would plug solid within a week of running it. You are also doubling the case preasure and is a bearing killer. Other thing to look at would be IF it is an XP? (not an X torq) that someone hasn't equipped it with a blue coloured choke from an X Torq as it will run fine but won't come up to high Rev much like a wet and/or really
dirty filter. Obviously the other thing to look at 'just mentioned'. Now any of this is going to cause a plugged muffler screen too.
I would start with this:
Pull the muffler screen or burn it clean with a torch if it looks dirty and pluggedd. Clean the air filter. I use laundry soap and hot water and let them soak from time to time. Use another plug. Clean the other one if it's not a contributing factor and then like the guys are saying; Set the carb. I'll show you an easy way. Make sure your chain is fairly loose. I have always pulled the rubber boot out of all my saws so I take the snap cap off as well the air filter for vision as well it eliminates a suspect air filter.
Rule #1 and #2: Warm up the saw and make sure the filter is clean if tuning with the filter. Sometimes a neglected filter is my problem and it goes behond tapping out the fines. Water out of the cut is very common with Coast falling too.

Turn throttle adjustment screw clockwise until the chain starts to spin (race)
(Rpm doesn't come up then likely carb is the issue not the settings)
Now that the chain is racing then turn your low jet clockwise (in this case)slowly. We are looking to find "the sweet spot" and that is where the chain runs fastest and smoothest.
In order to find it you will keep going until the saw stumbles or coughs, then return back anti clockwise. It's very easy to pinpoint with the chain in slow race mode. Now simply turn the low 1/4 turn anti clockwise from the sweet spot. Now turn your throttle down. High jet setting with a Rev limiter (blue coil) ??? Unless you have a tac then you would want to test it in and out of the wood to ensue the saw isn't tuned into the rev limiter but is in fact at the high end of fourstroking.
Bottom out the high jet (Clockwise) then back it out about 3/4 turn should be a good spot to start out of the limiter. If it seems obviously slow (not under load) then turn it up some more. Once you feel you are in the ball park then drop it in the cut. If the saw still appears to be fourstroking then it's likely to high and tuned into the limiter and will need further high setting ajustments.
Saw is running good??? Ensure enough heat is generated with some duration cuts. This is where a leak may only return. Revs will start comming up. Likely will start to race. If saw runs good, pull it apart and clean the top end. It's going to be a mess inside if it ran like this for a few weeks. (Don't ask me how I know this)I would inspect the manifold really good or replace it at that time and replace the conecting rod bearing from all that constant fourstroking.

-

Wow, some really good info on here. Thanks folks, much appreciated. Promise to digest it all and act accordingly.

Here's what I did today with a few remaining minutes of light after work. Set both the L and H back to one turn and put the new filter on. Runs much better. I would say the H was adjusted to 1 3/4 - 2 full turns as it came to me.
Made a few cuts. The incessant 4 stroking is gone along with the erratic "tune change".
I'm sure more tuning is required among other things.

What I did notice today is when powering into the cut the exhaust note sounded tinny. Sort of like the baffle inside the muffler was loose,,,this is what it sounded like,,,not suggesting it is.
Set the dogs and power the bar nose down into the wood and it makes a tinny sound. Release the dogs and push down on the engine to cut closer to the operator and it sounds normal.

Can't be good. I think this engine needs a thorough going over by someone with more expertise than myself. I just don't have the time right now to do it right.
Could be that big bore kit is closer to reality. Got no problem with that at all.

PS once again as it ran out of gas it leaned noticeably just before conking out. Strange.

Yes it was way way to low on the high jet
Must not have the factory nylon stoppers on it that gives them a limited throw of ajustments. Check that the inner dog isn't lose or perhaps the muffler inner bolts came out. It doesn't have a baffle but the heat plate may be rattling. A 3/16 Allen head is close if you don't have the metric. If both bolts are out then you will be able to move around the plate. Does the decompression work or is it plugged?
Also is the screen plugged
It's not weird that the reves change when it runs out of gas. It offsets the air fuel mixture. Much like an air leak

Good to know.

The screen looks clean from what I can see installed. The exhaust port shroud was bent down a little when I got it so I pried it back up. Screen looked ok at that time but I did not remove for closer inspection. The plug that came with it was wet and black but not heavily carboned up. Compression release seems to be working fine but probably could use some cleaning.

There is no inner dog at this time. I have some aftermarket ones from Baileys but haven't yet bothered with worrying about installing them.

I'll be pulling the muffler off to check things inside and get a glimpse of the piston and cylinder?
Gypologger do you mean remove and keep it removed? Presumably to allow any carbon to spit out and stay out?

Good to know.

The screen looks clean from what I can see installed. The exhaust port shroud was bent down a little when I got it so I pried it back up. Screen looked ok at that time but I did not remove for closer inspection. The plug that came with it was wet and black but not heavily carboned up. Compression release seems to be working fine but probably could use some cleaning.

There is no inner dog at this time. I have some aftermarket ones from Baileys but haven't yet bothered with worrying about installing them.

I'll be pulling the muffler off to check things inside and get a glimpse of the piston and cylinder?
Gypologger do you mean remove and keep it removed? Presumably to allow any carbon to spit out and stay out?
Yes, most of us here delete the screen in all but the hottest climates. You could also port match the exhaust shroud, exhaust gasket and muffler with the cyl exhaust port. I find that with the aluminum exhaust shroud, a muffler gasket is not required.
There is alot of latent power to be gotten out of these saws without shortening their lives. Short steps are the way to go, but in the final analysis its mostly about chain.

Are you sure you don't mean "nipples"? You ever come across jug bolts with hair on them in the Yukon? I heard um referred to it as naturist bolts. . .

don't bother asking John nothing about saws. about all he knows is tapping out an airfilter. i'd be concerned letting him change my spark plug without supervision. lol

don't bother asking John nothing about saws. about all he knows is tapping out an airfilter. i'd be concerned letting him change my spark plug without supervision. lol
Hey Shane, don`t you be running down my buddy, he may be a cull but hes a hellavah mechanic....LOL

Are you sure you don't mean "nipples"? You ever come across jug bolts with hair on them in the Yukon? I heard um referred to it as naturist bolts. . .
No, but I did for sure find fur on a trappers husky 36. It was buffalo fur that was bound around the tip and rim.
Trapper said it was buffalo fur, but I think it was sasquatch hair.

No, but I did for sure find fur on a trappers husky 36. It was buffalo fur that was bound around the tip and rim.
Trapper said it was buffalo fur, but I think it was sasquatch hair.
You ever dated any furry buffalo/sasquatch type women the needed their loose jug cylinders tightened down so they could function properly? Being a city boy the closest thing I ever came to being in the bush was a woman named Fraida Feltcher.
You ever bump into Fraida or her sisters?

You ever dated any furry buffalo/sasquatch type women the needed their loose jug cylinders tightened down so they could function properly? Being a city boy the closest thing I ever came to being in the bush was a woman named Fraida Feltcher.
You ever bump into Fraida or her sisters?
No, I didn't get any sasquatch pictures, but I ran into one though.
I was staying in this trappers cabin and after cooking myself some bacon and beans I blew out the candle and settled down for the night. I started to think how lonely it was and how nice it would be if a woman showed up.
Just as I was dozing off I felt the bed shake, or maybe it was the whole cabin. Quickly I struck a match and here's what I saw:
A women was sitting on the end of the bed with her legs crossed under her,Indian style. I knew she was female just by the look in her eyes. But she had an awful lot of body hair, in fact her whole body was covered in this greasy brown fur. It was then I realized I was looking at a real-life female Sasquatch!
And from the look in her eyes she was in love with me too!
I made a run for the door but she got there ahead of me and blocked it, so I gave up on that idea and sat in the chair by the table.
Now I have been in some real tight spots before, but this one topped everything. So I tried to talk to her and told her, "You don't want me. Anybody will tell you I won't amount to anything. I don't even have potential and I'm terrified of imtamacy."
But she didn't understand and kept on staring at me from the bed.
It was then I remembered what I had in my pocket. I took out a roll of money, about 200 U.S. dollars all in small bills and threw it towards her. While she was counting I made a run for the door and beat her there this time. I galloped down the rocky trail to my 4 wheeler and got away with my knees trembling.
I never saw the lady again, but I heard she teamed up with some trappers that like hairy women.
John

I was staying in this trappers cabin and after cooking myself some bacon and beans I blew out the candle and settled down for the night. I started to think how lonely it was and how nice it would be if a woman showed up.
Just as I was dozing off I felt the bed shake, or maybe it was the whole cabin. Quickly I struck a match and here's what I saw:
A women was sitting on the end of the bed with her legs crossed under her,Indian style. I knew she was female just by the look in her eyes. But she had an awful lot of body hair, in fact her whole body was covered in this greasy brown fur. It was then I realized I was looking at a real-life female Sasquatch!
I made a run for the door but she got there ahead of me and blocked it, so I gave up on that idea and sat in the chair by the table.
Now I have been in some real tight spots before, but this one topped everything. So I tried to talk to her and told her, "You don't want me. Anybody will tell you I won't amount to anything. I don't even have potential and I'm terrified of imtamacy."
It was then I remembered what I had in my pocket. I took out a roll of money, about 200 U.S. dollars all in small bills and threw it towards her. While she was counting I made a run for the door and beat her there this time. I galloped down the rocky trail to my 4 wheeler and got away with my knees trembling.
I never saw the lady again, but I heard she teamed up with some trappers that like hairy women.
John
The grog was flowing freely earlier,eh.

John

what a bunch of ****, you take anything you can get! :D i got a buddy down here who knows you John, you remember a dog named dahdal? he bought it from someone you know apparently. she's a sled dog.

what a bunch of ****, you take anything you can get! :D i got a buddy down here who knows you John, you remember a dog named dahdal? he bought it from someone you know apparently. she's a sled dog.

That's far enough. What happens in the bush stays in the bush.
Multiple puns intended.

Back