372xp Bar size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After all you guys help, i decided on a 372xp,, went to my husky/stihl dealer and did as you guys suggested. i held both stihl and husqvarna and decided that i felt more comfortable with the 372 (tad bit heavy).. they offer 18, 20 , 24 inch bar sizes, any recommendations on the size of the bar? My use is 10% falling ,90% bucking / cutting firewood. Thanks in advance..!

24" :cheers:

lol... i can believe anyone would fit a 20" to a 372

what size would you put on a 395??

I really have no idea, as I never used one - but probably would start out with a 28", and go from there........

The only 395s my dealer have sold, was to our Engeneer battallion, for ice cutting - no wood that requires one here.......

Last edited:
i live in saskatchewan and we dont have very many big trees here due to the cold cimate so i rarely have to cut a tree bigger than 20"
so all my saws wear a 20" bar. if you live in the PNW then go for a 28" but 20" sure seems to be a comfortable lenght for me. i had an 18" on one of my saws for a while and it was a little bit too small for bucking as sometimes i would lose the bar in the wood.

I really have no idea, as I never used one - but probably would start out with a 28", and go from there........

The only 395s my dealer have sold, was to our Engeneer battallion, for ice cutting - no wood that requires one here.......

troll buddy... i guess my wood is bigger! :D:D:D

How bigga wood?

Nobody ask yet or did I just miss it? If you are cutting 20" and smaller then a 20" bar should be sufficient, and then you could set up a 28" full skip for the occasional big one. If you cut a lot of 20-24" wood then set it up with a 24", that saw will pull any of those bars well especially if you do a small muff mod.

Get a 20" for best balance/handling, and then a longer one in addition if you find out that you want/need one.

+1 Here in New England, a 20" is, IMHO, perfect for the typical size of our hardwood. Run 20" on my 372XP, the 2171 and 6401-18" on my MS361. Makes it easy to stock a lot of extra chains.

lol... i can believe anyone would fit a 20" to a 372

what size would you put on a 395??

20" stays on 372 all the time. Fast cutting, no waiting.

I run a 24", 28" or 36" on my 395 depending on what size tree I'm cutting.

I love running the 395 with a 24" bar, amazingly fast cutting, even in Oak.
It'll make you grin so wide you'll have stretch marks.:chainsaw:

:greenchainsaw:

Unless you are very short, get the 24 or bigger.:clap:
Try to touch the ground with the tip of the bar, with a 20 and a 24. Most find that longer bars make working wood on the ground a lot easier. Also bar size has a lot to do with the kind and size of trees you are going to be dealing with. However even if your sawing very hard wood chances are the 20" is going to be holding the saw back.
I have a 28" for my 575 (same class of saw).

I've got a 20" on my 372 but I plan on buying a 24" for the bigger stuff. The 20" will stay on it most of the time.
Right, I have a 20, 24 and a 16", and the 20" is on most of the time.

The 16" is a leftover from another project, and not bought for the 372 though........:)

Already have an 18" on my 51 so 20" didn't make sense on the 372, went with 24". Faster to switch saws then bars.:chainsaw:
:greenchainsaw:

I have a 20" on my 372xp and when cutting a 20" semi dry oak today with a new pro chain that is about all that it wanted. It goes through soft wood (poplar) like butter though, but up here you won't find a poplar over 20" diameter.

For working with wood on the ground and bucking, I do kind of think the 24" would be better though.

I will probably do a muffler mod on mine in time soon as it's broke in good.:clap:

Fairdinkum, balance is different to needing bar size to match log size.
I've a 28" if needed but a 20" balances best with the weight/handle relationship of a 371/372XP.
24" for my 385XP, 28" for my 395XP.

Sorry Steve, I think you just don't get it.

Al.

Fairdinkum, balance is different to needing bar size to match log size.
I've a 28" if needed but a 20" balances best with the weight/handle relationship of a 371/372XP.
24" for my 385XP, 28" for my 395XP.

Sorry Steve, I think you just don't get it.

Al.

lol... what difference does balance make when your saw spends all day in a log? if I had to walk 20m between every cut, id probably feel different......

stk

Back