372xp Bar size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 18" would be on the 346 or 2159 if it were mine, I keep a 16" on the 026, 20" on the 361 and 25"+ on the 440s-460s......

I never liked packing around a heavy powerhead with a small bar when I can have a lighter saw with that smaller bar. I do give ya points for the 28" 066, but not the 20", way to small for 90cc's.:D

it feels to wrong to agree with ya

:D:D:D

If you look at what they do to race chain

attachment.php

And that seems fairly mild! all to lose weight

also theres less cutters to sharpen the bar and chains are cheaper

Well, racing is a bit different story. They're dealing with fractions of a second making or breaking a run, so ounces count.

Fractions of a second, added up over a day of cutting firewood will not make a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

I have friends that track their cars that will take out trim from the interior to save a few pounds on a several thousand pound car. They don't do that with their street car because it doesn't really matter then.

Well, racing is a bit different story. They're dealing with fractions of a second making or breaking a run, so ounces count.

Fractions of a second, added up over a day of cutting firewood will not make a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

I have friends that track their cars that will take out trim from the interior to save a few pounds on a several thousand pound car. They don't do that with their street car because it doesn't really matter then.

I was just using race chain as an example of a lighter chain working better!

I was just using race chain as an example of a lighter chain working better!

I understand, I just want to clarify my point that, for a guy out cutting firewood all day, the difference in time it takes to accelerate an 18" chain and a 24" chain is in all probability, not going to be noticeable, when all is accounted for.

what else are you doing with it? poulans come with a 20" bar

stk

Lol, don't give two hoots for a Poulan Steve!
By your responses you still don't get it.
Even if the 372 had two more horspower @ the same weight, that does not mean it should have a larger bar to "balance"
Go back and have a good look through this post and the pro's use 20".
Sure, there are pro's that use say a 32", but that's because they need light weight/big cut, not balance being the main criteria.

Al.

Lol, don't give two hoots for a Poulan Steve!
By your responses you still don't get it.
Even if the 372 had two more horspower @ the same weight, that does not mean it should have a larger bar to "balance"
Go back and have a good look through this post and the pro's use 20".
Sure, there are pro's that use say a 32", but that's because they need light weight/big cut, not balance being the main criteria.

Al.

hmmm... pros. well lets see. female loggers here train on 372 22". us guys step up to 24", on either 372 575 390. Stihl gangs running 660 24". If anyone turned up with a 20" bar, it would be run by a silverculturist on a 357, or a homeowner whos not quite strong / brave enough for a normal size bar and has too much money to afford such a powerhead.

Do they even make 20" bars with a D009 mount? j/k

If you're running a 372 with a 24" bar or less, and you're not using a 8 tooth rim, you're leaving a few nuts in the sack.

I understand, I just want to clarify my point that, for a guy out cutting firewood all day, the difference in time it takes to accelerate an 18" chain and a 24" chain is in all probability, not going to be noticeable, when all is accounted for.

Fair enough but its still a cheaper bar and chain and less cutters to sharpen

But even i think this is takin the p#ss my mates 327XP running a 15"bar with 325
372xp.jpg

OK,for thinning in the forestry, that's 15"-18" diameter pines, for a 440 or 372, an 18" - 20" bar is what you need. Thinning forests you cover a lot of ground. Fact is, on a 70cc the 18" - 20" setup is lighter, HEAPS more maneuverable/agile, FAR better balanced with MORE power/torque and cutting speed, and just all-round a superior setup. For thinning, anything over 20" on a 70cc around here is pretty much just a case of bravado and posturing! What can I say?? On the other hand, for logging the final crop, grab an 066 and use any bar length you want..

Last edited:
Would that apply with a stock saw in hardwood?

IMO, depends on your cutting style and what you have your rakers set at. If you're heavy handed and have your rakers lowered, then 7 pin, if you just let the saw ride in the kerf, let it eat at it's own pace and have high rakers then 8. You just have to adjust the saw to your style and what you're cutting.

Another IMO... a lot of this "what size bar" discussion revolves around what you're cutting and what size. If you're out west and are in 25"+ softwoods, then a 20" bar doesn't make much sense. If you're back east and live in 18" Oak, then a 20" bar makes perfect sense.

a 60cc saw with a 20" bar gets the job done. A 70-80ccc saw with a 20" bar ups the fun factor significantly.

Ian

I fall into the second half of Ian's description. My dogs don't bite at the wood unless I'm falling. For me, if you're having to use the dogs while your bucking, it's time to sharpen or change chains.

Latest posts

Back