372xp Bar size ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But once you have;

a) Respect
b) Pu$$y
c) extra jobs/money
and the hardest to achieve
d) Forgiveness from your wife,

...by all means whack a 16" on your 372.

Had a win today. Dropped in the at local Husky dealer (top guy) to get a price on a 32" bar for my yet to arrive 7900. Oregon only make a 30" or 36" so chose a 30". He goes out the back and comes out with a once used 30" bar to suit (he chopped down one gum tree with it - still has all the paint and writing) and throws in 2 Oregon full chisel chains that are near new and never sharpened and I get the lot for AUD$99 (USD$82). Went in for just a price, come out with a bar and 2 chains for a bargain. He also knocked a couple of links out of each chain too so it'd fit the Dolmar.
He was running it on a Husky 570 I think - I reckon it probably struggled a tad.

Looks like it was a 32" afterall - and they sure make it!

haven't done it so far, but it is there - but where to get a 9-pin rim....:confused:

Dean at Washingtonprosaws gave me the one I have when I was out at the PNW GTG. I used to have the address for the web site that sold them but I can't seem to find it now. I think Dean said he couldn't use it because of the exposed rivet tails on the one side.

Ian

Also, going as big as 9 poses some problems to overcome. You will probably have to trim the tail of your bar like I've done here so you don't throw chains and that will shorten your bar so that you will need to take 1 DL out of your loops. Also, I have doubts about a stock 372 having the grunt to run a 9 pin in anything hard without having a light touch and high rakers.

An 8 pin doesn't require you to alter your bar or loops and will be much easier on a stock saw.

Ian

attachment.php

Last edited:
Yes exactly, a 9 pin on a 372 for any kind of cutting is pretty well useless. If your felling, limbing and topping bigger stem pulpwood , a 8 pin may help out a little in the limbing dept. But a 9pin through my experience you would use on a modern 80 cc+ saw in a speed cutting competition. Depth gauges set at 10 thousands,and a list of other modifications.
But if your looking for a 9 pin 3/8 rim or bigger, Madsen's sells them.

I've only got one loop of chain for that 9 pin setup to play with. Freshly sharpened it did pretty well in 15" Doug fir, but then my 372 isn't exactly stock.

Ian

Dean at Washingtonprosaws gave me the one I have when I was out at the PNW GTG. I used to have the address for the web site that sold them but I can't seem to find it now. I think Dean said he couldn't use it because of the exposed rivet tails on the one side.

Ian

I gather Dean is in hospital just now i think he is selling all his stuff:cry:

Also, going as big as 9 poses some problems to overcome. You will probably have to trim the tail of your bar like I've done here so you don't throw chains and that will shorten your bar so that you will need to take 1 DL out of your loops. Also, I have doubts about a stock 372 having the grunt to run a 9 pin in anything hard without having a light touch and high rakers.

An 8 pin doesn't require you to alter your bar or loops and will be much easier on a stock saw.

Ian

attachment.php

Guess I will stay with the 8-pin........:)

Found this on the "other" site. No details. Quote edited for spelling correction.

Dean said:
Hey guy, as most know I have gotten out of the saw scene except for building a few for select customers. My health has been rough and recently had major surgery and am in for a long recovery. Any how to make a long story short I will be selling off a lot of stuff out of the shop. If you are looking for anything please let me know. I have piston and cylinder sets, collector saws, parts and pieces and even a small cache of 1/2" chain. I will be making a list on here little by little as time allow. If there is anything specific you are looking for please let me know and I will try and find it. It may be a little slow as I am only able to be up a few hours a day.

--snip--

I have been having some complications and {have been} in {and} out of the hospital. Recovery time has been rough.

Last edited:
All sounds good MCW, got a name that goes with that user?
Wouldn't mind fangin around Tassie in the new year or the next on the BM for a coupla weeks.
Where you located?
Those dolmars sound the goods.

Al.

Hi Al.
I'm in Loxton, South Australia mate. Tassie, along with southern WA, is one of the nicest places I've ever been. Government is good too. They don't mind you cutting a few trees down here and there unlike the rest of Australia and you can get a permit to go into national forest and cut up dead wood (you'd get arrested in South Oz). I suppose you've heard about the Victorian government bringing in legislation that if farmers want to cut a dead tree down, and its over 40cm diameter at 1.3m off the ground they need to apply for a permit. Has to get inspected by some authority to check that it hasn't got hollow sections with some cuddly fluffy animals in it or rare birds. If you listened to the Greenies farmers have killed every animal within a 500km radius anyway.
Can''t wait for my Dolmar to arrive.
Matt.

Hi Al.
I'm in Loxton, South Australia mate. Tassie, along with southern WA, is one of the nicest places I've ever been. Government is good too. They don't mind you cutting a few trees down here and there unlike the rest of Australia and you can get a permit to go into national forest and cut up dead wood (you'd get arrested in South Oz). I suppose you've heard about the Victorian government bringing in legislation that if farmers want to cut a dead tree down, and its over 40cm diameter at 1.3m off the ground they need to apply for a permit. Has to get inspected by some authority to check that it hasn't got hollow sections with some cuddly fluffy animals in it or rare birds. If you listened to the Greenies farmers have killed every animal within a 500km radius anyway.
Can''t wait for my Dolmar to arrive.
Matt.

Yeah Matt, things are getting quite ridiculous around here.
You should see the dead wood/trees from the previous bushfires waiting to add fuel to the next lot of fires, and yet it's an offence to help yourself. Go figure?

Al.

After all you guys help, i decided on a 372xp,, went to my husky/stihl dealer and did as you guys suggested. i held both stihl and husqvarna and decided that i felt more comfortable with the 372 (tad bit heavy).. they offer 18, 20 , 24 inch bar sizes, any recommendations on the size of the bar? My use is 10% falling ,90% bucking / cutting firewood. Thanks in advance..!

I run a 24 on mine, cutts better than a woodchuck on crack

Latest posts

Back