372xp big bore kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any feedback on any of the aftermarket big bore kits for the 372xp? Looking to get one for a saw I picked up that needs a new top end. Thanks Nathon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aftermarket "big bore" kits usually lack the quality and usually end up with less power than a stock cyl.. Unless it's meteor or a known good manufacturer. NO MYSTERY WHITE BOX kits for me. I tried one once and was very disappointed.

Aftermarket "big bore" kits usually lack the quality and usually end up with less power than a stock cyl.. Unless it's meteor or a known good manufacturer. NO MYSTERY WHITE BOX kits for me. I tried one once and was very disappointed.
That's what I was wondering. Any input on NWP kits?

What I find sad is when somebody replaces a perfectly good XP cylinder with a "big bore". The replacement for displacement is quality control and engineering
I'm not opposed to finding an OEM jug and piston. Just exploring options...

I have used nwp pistons in 2 saws. 1 is a friends 55 husky that he uses alot and the other is my 026 that had a ugly cylinder that I cleaned up with acid to try and save it. Its going on 2 years and still looks ok through the exhaust port. I have not used their cylinders yet. The white box kits i was referring to are the no name kits that circulate on ebay for cheap and are just that -cheap-

Heard good things about Randy's kits but I've not used one. I'll say this, a proper 65cc OE jug can smoke most 71cc tops. The OE 75cc jugs seam to be at the limit of the case volume capabilities. All nwp I've seen are less than desirable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Take that for what it's worth. Only built a couple saws

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess I'm not set on a "big bore" kit. Only if the extra 2mm would be more beneficial than an OEM or another quality 50mm top end. Not familiar with husky saws and what works and what doesn't. Thanks again everyone the information is greatly appreciated.

Post up some pictures of the cylinder…. It may not be ready to toss yet. A little work may make it usable again. Just sayin

The issue I have with the AM kits is the quality. The last one I had from last year, the piston fit to cylinder was a bit more relaxed than I am comfortable with, and the intake required a lot of clean up just to get it to stock appearing. The rings are junk, and the circlips are junk. They can be made to run very well, but if the piston fit isn't great, it's gonna score sooner or later, or disintegrate.

Sometimes it doesn't matter who makes the kit... even Meteor makes bad kits. Just because it doesn't appear stock doesn't mean it won't run good. Measure, measure and then make sure its not going to catch a ring. Some of the best port openings are more square. Buy Caber rings and a good cir-clip.

Get a warranty with it!

I understand that some of the aftermarket BB kits can perform quite well when ported by an expert, but hardly as they come.

It is a cheap way to get a dead saw going, not a way to gain anything over stock.

It is a cheap way to get a dead saw going, not a way to gain anything over stock.

This is the best way to look at it. I have a basket case 365 Special that I use as my truck saw that has a Huztl "Big Bore" kit on it. This saw has pieces broken off the case(cosmetic) a cracked front AV on the tank, etc. If it wasn't for the cheap kit this saw would just be for small parts. I runs great and has for quite a few tanks. I think it's made me back the $45.00 it cost me.

So I guess with all the feedback it's best to just go with an OEM setup, which is what I figured would be the consensus. Just though I would see if anyone did have any particularly good luck with an aftermarket kit. Any suggestions on where to look for a reasonably priced OEM top end?

Any suggestions on where to look for a reasonably priced OEM top end?
They are ridiculously high priced. You have to decide if your saw is worth buying a $250 plus. top end for.

There might be a sponsor around here who can get you a better price?

Back