372XP project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I bought a 372xp for a flip (have a buyer lined up already) and of course....it needs parts, more then I thought. The tank apparently took a chain beating that someone had JB'd or something. Same repair looks like on the pull start(top left corner). The Rim gear was completely blown in half and the chain cut a groove in drum gear dead center and even the chain links were worn down.. This saw was ran and never cleaned by the looks of the grime on it.
So NOW the questions by looking at the pictures below
1: do you think I could reuse the drum and get away with just a new 3/8 x 7 rim?
2. New gas tank, OEM or is there a good AM?
3 cylinder and piston are flawless, but are they orig OEM by the markings in the picture?
4 Pull start cover oem or am?
5 coil, is that orig oem?
This saw is an absolute screaming power house when I ran it when I got home (thats when the rim gear let know she was toasted)
Anyone have and of the parts listed above.
db6cf1a69657143f8f2495ef055e3d87.jpg
8be6ed513a8ffe7e865c4d7dfcdf983a.jpg
8998a09713c92f73a13f3b40715abd61.jpg
f6f2f01eda1e3ab63d16ef0815886a1d.jpg
f7f93a80c1ca9d67cf352eb35fc8c520.jpg
72fd557995841eb463ab98b069b78e4b.jpg
8e778a7d2245ce4b19af963b86dcfb9b.jpg
9588d9b76b0557e7221a3921c0d09a58.jpg
b42c3e17afb7685ff95f413bdf44001b.jpg
2642ca54463edcad1287aa0a98cac418.jpg
2f7c507405c2bfb360b45e0d453059ee.jpg
1e198f0d7e5485aaf4de3f409c17252c.jpg
c548ddcbb8c1c1ea6b7e358d45d7ba1c.jpg

I started spun it up and man did it not sound so good lol. I was glad to see the problem was only the gear

loot of good after market tanks and recoil . covers out there . drum and sprocet are cheap . slap a new sticker on the recoil cover noone will ever no.. coil looks oem to me boss

Purple power/simple green and a brush will clean that right up. Used oem tanks are cheap as well as am. Oregon rim and sprocket are about 25$. Nice saw.

if a new sprocket slides onto that drum and floats it can be reused if all else is ok with it. you can even shape the splines with a diamond bur if there is damage causing it to not slide on and float. the saw otherwise looks all OEM and original including everything you asked about. i'd replace the rim and clean up that tank. it's likely a very small hole under that mess. clean it up well with acetone and plastic weld it with soldering gun fitted with a paddle element. it'll be like new except for a little discoloration if you do it right. the other option is the reseal with seal all or JB. so for the cost of a rim and a bit of your time it would be a good saw. if you wanna get cosmetic with it then that's pretty simple, break out your wallet. lol

- Its all OEM.
- Get a new sprocket and drum.
- Clean the saw up properly and see what you are actually dealing with re the thank handle. I would be inclined to just use as is if the repair is holding until you can find a good original piece. Would do the same with the starter cover, but would used a soldering iron to meld/weld the back of the crack and then clean up/shape the JB weld on the front down to a minimum. This will be fine until a good second hand piece comes along.
- change your fuel lines and filters and plug an go and cut some wood. it does not make any sense to use aftermarket parts on this saw when what you need is all available second hand OEM and will keep the saw looking period correct and it will be original. As soon as you chuck a chinese handle and recoil on it, no mater how nice they look, you now have a half chinese saw to some people even though the mechanicals of this saw are all Sweden - you should keep it that way for long term resale value as much as anything.

Im doing one also right now.but its a x torq. 2011 model.i would pressure vaccum test it.the seals and bearing on that clutch side are the first to go.mine was bad.even thoughthe bearings didnt fall apart once i split the cases they where very rough and not smooth. My top end looked great.but I decided for 13.00 to put a new set of caber rings in it.of coarse im keeping this saw. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Im doing one also right now.but its a x torq. 2011 model.i would pressure vaccum test it.the seals and bearing on that clutch side are the first to go.mine was bad.even thoughthe bearings didnt fall apart once i split the cases they where very rough and not smooth. My top end looked great.but I decided for 13.00 to put a new set of caber rings in it.of coarse im keeping this saw. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I tore it down and the bottom end looks really good and feels really tight, thats not to say that there could be some issues but at this point of tear down. Im gonna clean it up real good fix the obvious and have no choice but to reassemble and then check. Doesn't take long to break down again so thats my plan for now.
Thanks for the replies. Im gonna do what was suggested for the tank but it is weaping gas from that location still so worst ill get a good used oem if my repair dont work

I tore it down and the bottom end looks really good and feels really tight, thats not to say that there could be some issues but at this point of tear down. Im gonna clean it up real good fix the obvious and have no choice but to reassemble and then check. Doesn't take long to break down again so thats my plan for now.
Thanks for the replies. Im gonna do what was suggested for the tank but it is weaping gas from that location still so worst ill get a good used oem if my repair dont work

if you go to a store that sells soldering gun stuff get a paddle element if you have a soldering gun. i plastic weld everything. trick to strength is the cut kind of a crater in the plastic. when i start to melt i add that plastic back into the crater i cut. not as strong as new but usually plenty strong for regular use as long as what happened before doesn't happen again.

if you go to a store that sells soldering gun stuff get a paddle element if you have a soldering gun. i plastic weld everything. trick to strength is the cut kind of a crater in the plastic. when i start to melt i add that plastic back into the crater i cut. not as strong as new but usually plenty strong for regular use as long as what happened before doesn't happen again.
The previous owner obviously wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, especially the split rim and the fact at how bad it was worn into the drum. They definitely kept on trying to use the saw.

Ok I have a question I need to replace the clutch drum and rim sprocket. The part number for a 3/8 x 7 set up is (what I get from the ipl) 537036202 is that correct?
I bought one from a shitbayer and he sent me a Raisman 21-35-236 which is first off .325 but the drum is so much smaller then the 372 oem that it drops inside. Knew it as soon as I opened the box, that obvious

Found the numbers on it with a magnifying glass.
5039324-01 is that oregon a direct replacement for this one?

Back