372xp stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just want to get the old 372 before the strato version makes a full takeover. And ive thought about the 390 lately but dang, its pricey. Witha 24" b/c stock its $1,049 and a 660 is $1079 with a 25". I dont really need a huge saw but its still in the back of my mind.

The 372xp is a great saw right out of the box. I have 6 or 7 of them kicking around in one form or another and none have a muffler mod. Learning how to sharpen a chain and keep it sharp is the only mod you will ever need. I like a 24” bar on that saw but it will pull a 28” bar no problem. Jump on it, if the price is right. I would, and I need another saw like a hole in the head.

That said, the 372xp, like most modern saws, are not torque monsters. Light hand and chain speed are keys to getting good cutting performance out of these saws. I don’t think you will be happy with this saw if you want to show it who is boss. A 395xp or a 3120 with a 20” bar would be more to your liking.

Ouch saw prices are a little high in your area for sure. A bigger saw wouldn't be a bad addition to the stable. A 372 will feel a little lighter and more nimble than a 460, atleast it did for me.

268/272/372XP's are excellent saws, and very close in power. I've used stock 372XP's with 24" bars and they are fine, but pretty much maxxed out if you want to run that much bar with great authority. All of those saws will run a 20" bar at any load in any material. They would be OK with a 28" bar, if the operator didn't push them too hard. The 372XP's like rpm's and stall against the clutch quickly if you really dig in with the bar buried. In big wood it really comes down to the operator more than the saw. If you are keeping your chains razor sharp, and saw finely tuned, the 28" bar would be fine, IMHO.

If you want a saw that runs a 28" bar with great authority in hardwood, move up to at least 80cc, 95 to 100 would be even better.......Cliff

Everything had a weakness, so whats the 372's?

Nothing really.

Just a plain old solid and reliable saw. Which is why it has been around so long, and folks get so uppity every time Husky tries to discontinue it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

372 is a Great Saw!

I don't run anything near a 28" bar . . . but with a 20" on it's definitely "miles of smiles".

Al :clap::clap:

372s can be had for around $700 in a couple places or if you run up on a dealer with a sell going on. 2171s can be had for around the same.

Everything had a weakness, so whats the 372's?

You need to keep a close eye on the fasteners as they have a tendency to vibrate out. You learn to check them at every fill up or you can give them a touch of locktight. Choke mechanism can occasionally fail to close completely and heavy handed folks tend to break the antivibe springs. Other than that, rock solid saw.

Keep in mind saw prices are high where I live but usual price for a 372 with 20" b/c is $809 but the dealer has two on sale for $749 each. Id actually prefer to get the 2171 but jred dealers are few and far between and the saws are even more expensive that stihl or husky. My 460 with 25" b/c cost $929. Hahaha god that sucks after seeing some prices you guys pay. I think mdavlee paid around that for his 390xp if I remember correctly.

Cheapest near me for the 2171 is $859 with 20". There is a dealer about 60 miles from my house that sells them for $729 though but im not driving that far.

I paid $870 for the first 390 with a 28" b/c. The closest jonsered dealer to me is 40 miles. I paid $760 for the 2171 with a 28" b/c. The guy wouldn't go any lower with that one cause the bar. He said if I wanted a 18" bar he would go down $25. The dealer where I'm working at has a 372 for $769 plus tax with a 24" or 28". I don't remember and I want one but not that bad right now.

Never had an issue with loosening fastners except one.

If they are tight to start with they shouldn't come loose. A loose fastner will flog the hole and can continue to work loose from there.

The little screw through the brake handle could do with a touch of light loctite.

The biggest flaw with the 372 is they didn't produce a high 70's cc model! ;)

Maybe Bookerdog's 580 will fit the bill!

I missed the sale!!!!

So I went to go pick up the 372 this morning and the sale was over thursday! And to pour salt in the wound the dealer raised the regular price $20. So now you can buy a 20" 372 for $829 or non autotune 576 with 24" for $859! I like that dealer but their prices are so messed up. I think its the stihl gods telling me not to buy from the orange guys.....sorry for the mini-rant

That really sucks when you're set on getting something and the sale is over.

Back