"372xp X-Torque" ... vs 372xp disadvantage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm sorry as I purchased the 372 x-torque

Again: Loggers congress ... $650 dollars with a $50 dollar mail in rebate. (No bar). Couldn't resist.

The dealer really couldn't explain to me in, as he's talking it up, while the market is overall "Not Impressed" ?

It's been on here 1k times over, If anyone cares to share their input, why the X-Torque sucks. I'd appreciate any and all points of views, input, FYI, Fun Fact, etc.....

Thank You.20170909_102628.jpg

a nicely done OE and a nicely done XT are hard to choose from. the XT's got a nicer mid range power in the band for longer bars. the larger feel of them is just better suited for me but the OE with an XT handle does the same thing and is lighter. i like them both. i'd rather have a stock XT to run the bar lengths i run then a stock OE though.

Good prices! For what its worth I like the OE version better, one of the best saws designed of all time in my very humble opinion. Combination of size, weight, and power. Vibration levels, and easy to work on. Yup they modify well as many here have learned. AND they were reliable. To me the X-torq puts more size and weight on that chassis without enough gain. Rather just go to a 385/390 instead. OR put a XPW top end on an OE build if a bit more torque is desired. I also prefer to build mine with the low top cover & filter. Just a preference. Actually prefer the Jonsered versions or a 365 as a starting point for that reason. BUT I'm in the minority there! Get better money selling with the high top for those who care about that stuff.

On the "modification" front, actually the XT is easier for the average guy....you can pull the transfer caps. No need for fancy and expensive angle head die grinding equipment. With a gutted intake to let fuel/oil mix through the strato passages, the saw runs better and you don't see that "dry" look (prelude to scratches) on the intake side after being in service a while & that area being washed with straight air. The only goofy part is with the transfers as they are , you have to have crazier numbers for blow down to get them to spin. down in the low to mid teens. From the factory the machining for the squish band is right....just have to drop the cylinder. Lathe cut w/ gasket is better than Goo Gasket on those because of the surface area. But goo gasket builds do survive if done with the right "goo". A modded X-torq is a really strong saw.

But I still rather have a 385/390 or XPW on an OE for my life.

I think the main thing is very few have ran a properly ported XT and then even fewer have given them the chance to take the OE's place. They never will even for me. The XT handle, while making the OE's physically larger will make them handle much better with longer bars. The skinny OE handle worked but feels like **** after running one of the new handles. I agree that the OE is a simple design and definitely will last longer in almost all cases but that does not mean stay away from the XT. I know fuel hardly matters to guys cutting by their truck but A well done XT (I don't care what anyone says) is way better on fuel. Trust me, I chase my gas around the hill lol. People probably Port differently then me but an XT will 4 stroke happily at 14k with no transfer work at all. I hear of some guys raising transfers and then getting a tune of 13.5k lolololol the verdict?, learn how to port an XT lol mostly just saying that ,while I have a hard time choosing for myself Dan made a good buy. Nothing wrong with an XT.

"lemecee" ...... differences that I can remember w/o digging into notes or online info:
Weight PHO OE: 13.4lbs & XT14.3lbs
Cylinder Taller and heavier on the XT BTW can put an OE cylinder& piston on XT cases but can't put the XT on the older 371-372 cases....:) But then have to start changing things.
Piston Taller and heavier on the XT and does effect how fast it can pick up RPM's
Taller Top cover on the XT
Longer Chain Brake lever on XT
Different filter holder (has divider, OE does not)
Different intake boot
Different Carburetor
Somewhere around 2009 went to nylon caged bearings.
Ignition limited to 13300 on XT , OE's RECOMMENDED No load RPM is 13500. Obviously a difference there...:)
And I do have to confess, there isn't a "change" in that mix I like relative to the OE's. Just getting old I guess.

Things that are the same?
Cases....for the most part. Can retro new cases back to OE saws.
Tank Handle Throttle controls.
Filters.
Bar oiler and related stuff
Chain brake internals
Pull Start & Clutch side covers.
Cranks, crank seals, and related parts. Flywheels different in XT's but can swap them around.
Bucking spikes & fasteners....
Clutches.

So while 1/2 the saw is the same. Maybe 3/4's, there are significant differences in parts that absolutely will effect how they run and feel.
Another way to work back to this..if top ends and ports didn't matter..why is so much gas spent talking about them and changing them? :)

OK..the things I LIKE about the XT's (Again just one mans opinion....everyone has different priorities and metrics to define likes and dislikes)
1) They are still available therefor parts are as well
2) They seem to use less fuel & with minor tweaks run strong
3) easier to "grope" around in the cylinder with a die grinder because of the transfer caps
4) the separated intake allows for a larger intake tract when modified by gutting them...so when the real saw builders do their thing there is more x-sectional area in the intake and carb to play with.
5) Ones with wasted clutch side bearings are cheap and make great fun and games projects.
6) They can be built back into OE's and there are always folks interested in buying the "take off" top ends thru intake stuff.

Back