4 cycle trimmer w/ pole saw attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was in Lowes & saw a couple of Troy-Bilt 4 cycle trimmers. I'm thinking that they must be fairly new to Lowes. I know from a previous thread here, & my looking at a TB chainsaw, that TB is owned by MTD, & the general opinion here at AS was that MTD wasn't good quality. I handled both the curved shaft ($159) & straight shaft ($199) model. The engine was noticeably heavier, & overall they seemed fairly well built, but I'm hoping the pros here can provide some input.

I was wondering if any of you have handled or used one, as a trimmer, or a pruning saw (attachment $89)? Other attachments include edger, blower, & tiller. I'm curious because my Echo trimmer has racked up some hours (worth every penny of $149), & I could use a pole saw for my two live oaks. Thanks!

Chris J.

The trimmers are made by Ryobi, which is also owned by MTD.
The quality is low, and their 4 cycles are troublesome. Spend the
extra bucks and get a good brand.

Thanks, Fish.

I had some reservations, & that's why I asked for the .02 from the pros here. Any 4 cycle or electric trimmers (harry homeowner use) that you (or anyone) would recomend? Thanks!

Chris J.

I have the Stihl 4-mix and am very happy with it. As with many Stihl products, it's a bit pricey but I feel it's a tough, powerful machine.

Back