40:1, 50:1 does it matter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scranner

Reaction score
Hi, just bought my first saw (although used them in the past with more experienced mates) and have been reading stuff avidly for the last few days. The saw's a Husky 142 (I know, almost a toy!) but my question is why do they state using a 40:1 mix and almost everywhere else I look 50:1 seems standard practice? Would using the leaner mix hurt the Husky (not that I intend to). It just seems wierd that Husqvarna bucks (ha!) the trend...

Hi, just bought my first saw (although used them in the past with more experienced mates) and have been reading stuff avidly for the last few days. The saw's a Husky 142 (I know, almost a toy!) but my question is why do they state using a 40:1 mix and almost everywhere else I look 50:1 seems standard practice? Would using the leaner mix hurt the Husky (not that I intend to). It just seems wierd that Husqvarna bucks (ha!) the trend...

Thats weird.

I had a Husky 142, and i always ran 50:1 through it...always. Never a problem, sold it to a friend and it runs good for him.

87octane gasoline, 1 gallon. 2.6 oz oil.

I am not sure...it weird that it says...is there a number to call for Husky, or have you tried online.

Hey, another oil thread! We never get enough of a chance on AS to talk about oil! But the gas... 87 octane? Regular gas????

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... I can hear the engine ping from here!

No saws mnfg. that I know recommend 87. Most all recommend 89 or more. I run supreme... (pisses the GF off, but I insist on better gas for the saws). :blob2:

Just to keep the latest oil thread going:biggrinbounce2: ...

What difference/harm in running 40:1 in my ms200t instead of the recommended 50:1 ?

I believe this is a question for our resident oil mix expert :bowdown: :bowdown: Mr. Nice Guy, GASoline71 .

Where ya at man ?

Hey, another oil thread! We never get enough of a chance on AS to talk about oil! But the gas... 87 octane? Regular gas????

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... I can hear the engine ping from here!

No saws mnfg. that I know recommend 87. Most all recommend 89 or more. I run supreme... (pisses the GF off, but I insist on better gas for the saws). :blob2:

I am sorry i didnt clairify....here.

With my Stihl's, i run one of two gas's

Shell - Premium
Chevron - Premium

The 142 Husky that was given to me....ran great, but it was saw that i would train people who had never used a saw...saw i just didnt care about to much.

I ran the cheaper gas through it....

I ended up selling it to a friend and it still runs good too this day.

40:1, 50:1 does it matter? Yes.

And I can't believe you would put anything but the manufacturer specified mix in your 200t. C'mon man. Not in your 200t.

Stihl no answer to my question...:confused:

Well here is the way i see it...especially with that nice of a saw.

There has to be a reason that Stihl would say use 50:1.

The other is think...what 40:1 and 50: 1 is.

40:1 - 40 parts gas to 1 part oil

50:1 - 50 parts gas to 1 part oil

50:1 is gonna run hotter and faster. The 200T, has been designed to run at 50:1, and that is what we should run at. It would seem to me that you would be bogging down your machine and running to much oil through it.

Again, JMO...

Finally...if Stihl wanted 40:1 ran through it they would stamp use 40:1 mix.

Canyon

it makes no difference whatsoever.

50:1 is just a marketing gimmick the manufacturers came up with to sell less oil.

50:1 is just a marketing gimmick the manufacturers came up with to sell less oil.

That doesnt make sense to me.

When manufactures, like Stihl, Echo and others...who make Chain Saws, Weed Whackers. Blowers and more...and who make oil...

WHy would they say 50:1, so they lose money and dont sell as much oil.

I am not saying i am right your wrong, but by common sense your logic or statement doesnt make sense.

Canyon

Has nothing to do with the oil industry.

It has to do with the EPA, trying to lean the saws out as much as possible.

It has been proven that harder working saws such as the 066/084, etc have burnt up running the recommended 50:1 on milling saws and heavy use.

I run 40:1 in everything. That is what husky and others used to run before the epa got their hands in the mix.

My local Husky/Dolmar/Echo dealer only sells the husky pre-mix oil. Every saw he sells leaves the shop with a full tank of 32:1 93 octane. He then tells everyone that buys a saw that he recommends 40:1 and premium gas for the rest of the saws life.

I have ran 40:1 in my old homelites that call for 16:1 and have not had any problems with any of them.

Just use good fresh gas

Just Say NO to ethanol in 2-strokes

Has nothing to do with the oil industry.

It has to do with the EPA, trying to lean the saws out as much as possible.

It has been proven that harder working saws such as the 066/084, etc have burnt up running the recommended 50:1 on milling saws and heavy use.

I run 40:1 in everything. That is what husky and others used to run before the epa got their hands in the mix.

Really.

That is quite interesting.

I am a young guy, and wasn't around before the EPA got a hold of everything.

What your saying, though i can def. see as true...as i have some older saws and blowers and they run 40:1, and 32:1...now i am considering of changing and running it a little richer.

Love learning new things.

Thanks for the info.

Canyon

it shouldn't make sense.

That doesnt make sense to me.

When manufactures, like Stihl, Echo and others...who make Chain Saws, Weed Whackers. Blowers and more...and who make oil...

WHy would they say 50:1, so they lose money and dont sell as much oil.

I am not saying i am right your wrong, but by common sense your logic or statement doesnt make sense.

Canyon

mostly for the simple fact that it was a joke.

my vote

not that it matters but my vote is for a little rich on the mix. I run mid or high octane versus 87 and my mix a little rich. Always run sthil or husky oil. my saws don't smoke, run strong, never foul-up and have seen some days. I like the extra peace of mind i guess. I use the super-tech bar oil from walmart. It is really cheap and seems to work just fine. I will never skimp on my mix oil though, only name brand. My local shop informed me there is stabilizer in the name brand 2 stroke mix i found that comforting.

Well here is the way i see it...especially with that nice of a saw.

There has to be a reason that Stihl would say use 50:1.

The other is think...what 40:1 and 50: 1 is.

40:1 - 40 parts gas to 1 part oil

50:1 - 50 parts gas to 1 part oil

50:1 is gonna run hotter and faster. The 200T, has been designed to run at 50:1, and that is what we should run at. It would seem to me that you would be bogging down your machine and running to much oil through it.

Again, JMO...

Finally...if Stihl wanted 40:1 ran through it they would stamp use 40:1 mix.

Canyon

What would be the difference in volume of gas if 50:1 = 2.6 oz.oil to 1 gal.gas
how much gas will you use to make 40:1 with 2.6 oz oil?

Latest posts

Back