40-1 vs. 50-1 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've run 50:1 with cheap oil and 32:1 with klotz original techniplate. I won't mix at 32:1 any more as I don't think that much is needed. I mix the klotz around 43:1 since that's 3 oz in 1 gallon. When it runs out I'll finish off the stihl ultra at 50:1.

I've run 50:1 with cheap oil and 32:1 with klotz original techniplate. I won't mix at 32:1 any more as I don't think that much is needed. I mix the klotz around 43:1 since that's 3 oz in 1 gallon. When it runs out I'll finish off the stihl ultra at 50:1.

Well, I see you've finally gotten off the road. Where in Texas are ya?

Pecos. About 850 miles down so far. Hope to see tn state line tomorrow evening.

50:1 Ultra, burn a minimum of 7-10 gallon a week, 89 oct ethanol, have burned as much as 5 gallon in a day, no issues at all, in everything from 30 + year old saws to saws less than six months old and everything in between, both stock and modded. If I were milling I might consider 32:1.

YeeHiii!

Pecos. About 850 miles down so far. Hope to see tn state line tomorrow evening.

"You in my neck of tha woods... er sand, now! I'm from West Texas. (i live in Ky. now)
But u may not realize it but when u'r goin by Monahans u'll be goin thru one of the largest hardwood forrests in the U.S.. Not many ppl. know it tho...kaz the trees arn't taller then u'r knees. They're called 'Shin Oak'. Kaz they come up to u'r shin.
We had a boot repair and western store in Monahans when I was a kid.
Be careful out there!" :)
Schipp

i don't fool around with mix ratios anymore.

dirt bike folks, need not read this any further.

how many of you mix with a 2-stroke mixing cup? the mixing cup has markings on it in ounces, and most have another set of markings for different ratios.

40:1 = 3.20 ounces of oil per gallon
50:1 = 2.56 ounces of oil per gallon

3.20 (-) 2.56 = 0.64 ounces

OR another way

1 Tablespoon = 0.50 ounce (1/2 ounce)

point is: you have no idea
1. unless you mix with a ratio cup
2. unless you buy your oil in tiny bottles (already in the correct ratio)

an "extra splash", "just to be safe" changes the ratio more than you think.

my question is..... what are y'all actually running?

sure "you can tune it out" with the carb as many here say. although, fuel/air and fuel/oil are two different things.

how many folks actually retune after adding an extra splash?

my dealership sez to run 50:1 with 91 octane mogas. i buy my mixin oil from him also, either the Jonsered or Echo in the lil' bottles that mix with 2 1/2 gallons of fuel. He made reference to 2 types of 2 cycle engines..1)hi rpm, and 2)low rpm engines..(boat motors/lawn boy engines=low rpm...chainsaws and sech hi rpm) and 2 types of mixin' oil,1)low ash content and 2) hi ash content??? somethin' about carbon build up an' sech..I figured he's been in the buisness for a long time and his doors are still open for buisness,,so i follow his recommendations...am i jest a lost sheep followin' the shepherd to the slaughter house?? i dunno..I have done some research on the DETRIMENTS of ETHANOL on small engines so i started using the fuel additives to protect my equipment from ethanol.."corn is eatin' not burnin in my saw"...dohn

how many of you mix with a 2-stroke mixing cup? the mixing cup has markings on it in ounces, and most have another set of markings for different ratios.

I have been using a "Ratio-rite" cup for about 30 years. Best 2 bucks a 2 stroke dirt bike rider can invest. :)

Worx just as good for saw gas too...

Gary

GASoline71 and MacLaren .......(rep will be sent).

I know y'all understand my thinking on this one, because you already own a ratio cup.

Just a hair more than 1 Tablespoon of oil per gallon can change the ratio rate 10 points.

This post was respectfully directed to the folks (hopefully few) that do not yet own one.

Speaking of dirt biking, does anyone use the high quality dirt bike synthetic oil? Specifically maxima castor 927 (castor oil) ?

I've got 3 ratio rite cups, quite handy. One in Logging trailer, one at Illinois farm and one at Kentucky home.

Sam

Speaking of dirt biking, does anyone use the high quality dirt bike synthetic oil? Specifically maxima castor 927 (castor oil) ?

I run Blenzol on occasion, instead of my normal Opti 2. I would use it more except for two reasons. One is that my dealer sells only a six gallon size bottle. Second is that it does not contain a dye. I like the smell but a couple of friends say the fumes loosen their bowels.

Quite the opposite... synthetic oil lubricates better and that is why the requirement for less oil is implied.

50:1 mix with full synthetic 2 stroke oil will lubricate any saw known to mankind. No matter how old or new they are. Or even if they are ported...

Gary

I've heard that there are (very rare) exceptions- saws with plain-bearing rod big-ends, like some of the Clintons. The ones with deflector pistons too. Not like anyone would use one of these for serious work. Some of these ran 12:1. Sayonara mosquitos.

What's porting got do do with anything? It's the rings that are challenging to keep lubed properly.

hummm

i don't fool around with mix ratios anymore.

40:1 = 3.20 ounces of oil per gallon
50:1 = 2.56 ounces of oil per gallon

3.20 (-) 2.56 = 0.64 ounces

OR another way

1 Tablespoon = 0.50 ounce (1/2 ounce)

point is: you have no idea
1. unless you mix with a ratio cup
2. unless you buy your oil in tiny bottles (already in the correct ratio)

an "extra splash", "just to be safe" changes the ratio more than you think.

my question is..... what are y'all actually running?

sure "you can tune it out" with the carb as many here say. although, fuel/air and fuel/oil are two different things.

how many folks actually retune after adding an extra splash?

"Koo Thanks, OneManBand!
U say that u don't mess around with mix ratio's anymore...meaning...that u just use whatever the manf. suggestes fer their saw?

Also I hav another question.. U said: "sure "you can tune it out" with the carb as many here say. although, fuel/air and fuel/oil are two different things. "
(here's the ?) --->...once u have u'r saw tuned to the exact point that it is 4strokin @ wot & 2strokin as u go into the load in the wood... would u be able to tell the difference by sound or with a tach if the mix ratio was ...say 300:1 or 16:1 ? Does extreme ratio's change the rpm's?"
Schipp

Back