42" 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southernlogger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wanting to mill with 42" bar on 390xp with muffler mod. I understand the oiler would be at it's Max on 36". If I used an aux oiler would it help..is the 390 underpowered for 42"? I was going to run either Grandberg or full skip chain and it will only be an occasional use

42" is a pretty big bar on a 390 for simply cross-cut bucking, but to put it into a rip cut would certainly be pushing its limit. May depend mostly on what type of wood and how wide. I imagine you'll get bogged down if trying to mill a 38" wide piece of oak, but in softwood you may do such widths.... slowly. Definitely should be an occasional thing, and be sure to go with the aux oiler. Actually, you should get an aux oiler for even a 36" bar when milling.

42" is a pretty big bar on a 390 for simply cross-cut bucking, but to put it into a rip cut would certainly be pushing its limit. May depend mostly on what type of wood and how wide. I imagine you'll get bogged down if trying to mill a 38" wide piece of oak, but in softwood you may do such widths.... slowly. Definitely should be an occasional thing, and be sure to go with the aux oiler. Actually, you should get an aux oiler for even a 36" bar when milling.
you

Thanks for your quick...I think I'm goin to end up just getting the 36" for it..I was hoping I could run a 42"...a fellow logger friend said he's put a 42" on from time to time if he didn't have a 395 but he also reccomended going no larger than 36....I just got a big pecan log 34" I wanted to mill slabs without having to cut away one side but I guess I'll have to just suck it up

Good decision. There would only be a few boards that reach the full 34" anyway. But if you want to get the whole width on them, maybe you should borrow your friends 42" 395 for those cuts.

Otherwise, good luck and welcome to the site!

Good decision. There would only be a few boards that reach the full 34" anyway. But if you want to get the whole width on them, maybe you should borrow your friends 42" 395 for those cuts.

Otherwise, good luck and welcome to the site!

Yes sir already recruited the lazy bugger to help move slabs lol so we will have his saw

Thank on the welcome I've followed this site and read threads on this site for months but just made my account not sure why it took so long feels good to finally chime in on somethings

set the raker as bit gentler like less than 6deg and go slow

drill the nose to mount on the mill pull the bucking spikes off and drill bar close to saw should get the 36"to do the job.
Or the 42" shares the load from 28" of wood across more teeth. And you don't have to squeeze so tight on the bar fit.

if you ever get a 3120 for milling then the 42 will be awesome.

set the raker as bit gentler like less than 6deg and go slow

drill the nose to mount on the mill pull the bucking spikes off and drill bar close to saw should get the 36"to do the job.
Or the 42" shares the load from 28" of wood across more teeth. And you don't have to squeeze so tight on the bar fit.

if you ever get a 3120 for milling then the 42 will be awesome.

I ended up borrowing my friends 395 42" bar for this bigger tree but I'm running a 36" on my 390 no felling dogs with a homemade granberg type chain and it's doing rather nicely I appreciate the advice sir

Latest posts

Back