441 and 461 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay I know that you all are gonna laugh but Ive got a question for you guys. What is the difference between the 440 and 441 and the 460 and the 461.I know the difference between the two different saws but what about the saw with one at the end of the model number. Im thinking about a new saw and Ive read on here that alot of people prefer the saw with the one at the end of the model number. does it out perform the saw with thezero at the end. Help please and thanks

The 441 and 461 are newer/updated versions of the 440 and 460. The 441 is more different than the 440 as fare as the motor and handling department. Where as, from what i seen on this site, the 461 is a more refined version of the 460. The other members can elaberate more. I bought a new 440 a few years back and it was a great saw. Im one of those guys that likes the newer technology, better air filtration and less vibration. Good luck

The biggest diference between the 440 and 460, are that the 441 and 461 are stratified charged engines. The 440 and 460 are not. The 441 is also spring mounted and precleans the air before it goes to the filter the 440 doesnt.

Another significant difference (for now, new one's in the works according to others) is the 441 is an M-Tronic, which means the saw is constantly maintaining perfect carb tuning. As of now, none of the other models are. Add in spring-AV and pre-clean filtration (also exclusive features) and I believe it to be the best option out there currently. And my ported one is a guaranteed smile maker.

441RC-M28ESLIGHT.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Other than similar displacement, the 441 is nothing like the 440. It is a total redesign. It uses several 'husky-like' features, which many "Stihl-heads" really like.

Thousands of words written here about the 441. The older threads were more critical.

The 461 is simply a "more EPA friendly" 460, without the total redesign.

The 440 is the lightest weight of the lot.

Thanks for all the info. So between the two saws which one do you think would be a better all around saw. Sounds like the 441 would be better to me. Especially with a big bore kit and a muffler mod surely it would hang with a stock 461 wouldnt it.

If you want better filtration pick the 441. The 461 would have more power. I wouldn't put a aftermarket cylinder on the 441 since almost every one of them has failed that members have tried.

I think I would stay away from a "big bore kit". If you're into a 441, probably look for a "M-Tronic" one.

Do a 441 search on this site, you'll find lots to read.

AH good info Thanks alot. So between the 460 and 461 I assume the 461 would be the better pick of the two, being that it is a revamped version? How do yall feel about the older 046. I know I am prolly milking the cow to death here so if your tired of babysitting me here I understand if you leave this thread. Just a few questions I wanted to know more about rather than just act like I know but dont have a clue.Thanks agian

I ran a 441 M-tronic for several months, and it's a great saw. Then I had a chance to get a 461, and love it. I think the 441 would be a better choice for 25" bar and smaller, and it is great on fuel. For 25" and larger, go 461 and plan to use a little more fuel. It has much more torque and power than a 441.

The biggest diference between the 440 and 460, are that the 441 and 461 are stratified charged engines. The 440 and 460 are not. The 441 is also spring mounted and precleans the air before it goes to the filter the 440 doesnt.

I could be wrong but I don't think a 461 would be considered a strato saw.

if your looking for a new saw in this range for firewood(not a production job) pick the 461. the 441 i have been told is great for production work with the filtration and weight. and when they are ported they run quite well. but for firewood having the extra power on tap and slight weight difference is a no brainer, plus the 460-461 are pretty torquey.

another dumb new guy question but what exactly is a strato saw consist of. I assume it has something to do with the ports?

Does anyone know how well the Stihl m-tronic run with the big bore kits? and which one would make it run the best?

Does anyone know how well the Stihl m-tronic run with the big bore kits? and which one would make it run the best?

If u can't get it in OEM, I would suggest not messing with big bore kits unless you are good enough to recognize and correct any flaws that commonly occur with most the asian aftermarket stuff.
440 & 46o are easier to work on then the 441, + muffler mods are easier, lots of parts available. IMO the 440 is the best limbing saw as it is and feels lighter then any of the others. The 441 feels like a size bigger when it comes to handling and storage. Power wise the 440 feels close. 441's has a notably smoother AV, better air filtering that requires less service (it isn't difficult to maintain the other models though),and is quite fuel efficient from what I hear. I can't say much on the 461 from lack of experience but I've heard here and from a local logger they have been great reliable saws with improved power over the 460.
If u are buying 1 to use, match the saw to your most specific needs.

Latest posts

Back