461 stihl wont idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian.b

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hey guys a friend of mine has a 461 and it just stopped idling it will run but you have to keep throttleing it ...im not sure about this cause these are the new m tronic saws right.....any help will be appreciated....thanks guys...

Sounds like a fuel restriction ,start at the fuel filter see if packed with sawdust ,then fuel line see if ripped or collapsed ,plugged vent on top of tank check also ,look for water drops in fuel also .Impulse line may be off too .

The idle screw is on the sprocket side if you want to use a screw driver to turn it in a tad bit. That should get it idling again. The other two H and L screws with the red caps may need adjusted too, but you don't want to screw around with those if you don't know what you're doing because you can lean it out enough to seize it. Either take it to a Stihl shop or someone reputable if you want it tuned correctly.

the saw is a 461 its about 5 to 6 months old...it was running fine then one day it just started to not want to idle.....the saw is a timber saw and gets worked pretty much every day but now its out of rotation he wants me to look at it cause everyone else is afraid to touch it....where its electronis is there a big difference in the carb setup or can they still be adjusted........oh the fuel tank and filter seem to be clean.....

the saw is a 461 its about 5 to 6 months old...it was running fine then one day it just started to not want to idle.....the saw is a timber saw and gets worked pretty much every day but now its out of rotation he wants me to look at it cause everyone else is afraid to touch it....where its electronis is there a big difference in the carb setup or can they still be adjusted........oh the fuel tank and filter seem to be clean.....

The 461 is a standard carb saw , its has the same carb screws as a 440/460 etc.

Send it to me, and I'll take that troublesome saw off your hands! Just kidding! Try changing out your fuel. Put it in a clear container, and see if there's any water or debris.

If it's like every 461 that I've had my hands on around here, they are set really rich on the L right out of the box. I've had 4 and all of them have had very lumpy, rich idles as delivered. My latest one was bad enough it would stall itself if left idle too long. Either lean out the L screw a hair, like 1/16 to an 1/8 of a turn and/or turn the idle screw clockwise to raise the base idle setting. They do tend to like a richer idle for good throttle response though so there is a fine range where it works best.

Not saying this IS your problem but it sounds like it is. Diagnosing over the net is often a futile effort though.

Back