5 top selling saws in your neck of the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybow1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What are the 5 most popular selling chainsaws in your neck of the woods? We all live in different areas of the country and I am interested in what that might mean for what is most popular where you are. In my opinion the top 5 here in the pacific Northwest would be the Stihl ms461 for pro use and the stihl ms271 for mid range and the Stihl ms170 for consumer as it is quite inexpensive. Then we have tree service pros that tend to favor the MS201t to this point. The husqvarna 372xp seems to be a great seller as well .
What are your thoughts for your neck of the woods?

I would think it depends a lot on the dealer net work in the area + the type of cutting carried out,In my part of France Husky seems the way to go; although I don't own any models of the Big 2 I buy non runners & fix "em, all my saws are ex used & abused mostly of Italian ancestry.the commercial company I service saws for use Husky.

290/291 and the 445/455 for firewood guys 180 and wildthings for the homeowner looking to cut up a few limbs a year. Plenty of 361's 372's on the logging crews but not much bigger, mostly pulp wood around here and the saws don't need to be used much when the harvester can take care of just about everything.

For pros its the 461, 261, and 201T. Don't know with the homeowners. There is not a huge firewood presence here but it does exist. The land clearing company I do work for still has 044s, 440s, and an 066 still being run continuously. They have had P&Cs put in them though but it is still a testament to the longevity of the saws as a whole.

There really is not a huge Husqvarna presence here either. The only ones I see up for sale used are generally older pro grade saws.

I would have to guess, Poulan 5020, Husky 455/450/445, Stihl 271 and 170.

We don't have huge trees up here so rarely will you see a dealer stock anything larger than a 461 or 576. For a "big" saw, Husky 365 is probably most prevalent.

HD has a few Echo models but I couldn't tell you the nearest full service Echo dealer. One Dolmar dealer out of his home but I would get Dolmar stuff from the guys on here.

Far more plastic Craftsman, McCullough, Poulan box store saws around here than any of the Euro type brands. If you're just talking the orange brands the 35-45cc plastic saws dominate numbers-wise because those saws probably fit the needs and price point for most. I know you asked for top five but I don't differentiate between those.

Husky 455, and 445. Lots of older big saws 066, 288, even a few 056 and 045 stihls being used for firewood(a good bit of big dead pines here) whats left of pro logging is mostly mechanical, so they got a 461 to use if its needed.

Stihl at dealers most carry full line of homeowner and pro. Enough demand for 880s the dealer close to me keeps a few in stock.
Husqy/craftsman/echo/poulan saws at the big boxs

Along with the OP input, here in western WA, I'm hearing that the 360 series saws are becoming more of a seller as compared to past marginal sales. Many Pro's like the 440 and 460 saws for reliability and rebuilding qualities. Many cedar block cutters prefer Husky 395XP's. They cut "blocks" for cedar shakes made at the local mills. I don't have a lot more to add other than this is STIHL country.

Cheap, very cheap, really cheap, cheaper and cheapest. That's 5. Sad to say, around here box stores and Wally World are the big "dealers". Good dealers are hard to find. Rural King for Stihl, TSC for JRed. After that plan on a 1-2 hr drive. I looked in the Yellow Pages, yes we still have phone books, under "chainsaw." Not one dealer listing for my county.

If I mention that I have a Maruyama or a Makita the person stares blankly, nods their head and backs away as if I just said I had a contagious skin disease.

Back