50:1 or 32:1 mixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprocket

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Lawnboy mower which uses 32:1 mixture and use the Lawnboy 2 cycle mower oil. I also have a big collection of other equipment (husky saws, sthil backpack blower, echo wacker) which call for 50:1. Can't I use the 32:1 in all this stuff?? I is
a pain in the ass having to have seperate mixtures. Will I damage
the anything using 32:1 across the board??

This is an issue that just never seems to die.

The lawnboy, with loose tolerances and split rod big-end, needs plenty of oil, but can use almost anything...I believe their factory oil is now ISO L-EGD, but have use some lower-end stuff in the past.

You shouldn't have trouble at 32:1 in your other stuff...use really good oil, Stihl, Echo, whatever suits you, and take a peek at the exhaust and spark plug now and then. The new low smoke oils don't smoke much even at more concentrated ratios.

I use 32 to 1 in everything. Just choose one of the major quality saw brands of oil; Stihl, Echo, Husky, Jonsered Etc. You can buy the 50:1 marked mix, just recalculate it for 32:1. Don't double it though, that would be too much. I would stay in the 32:1 to 40:1 range.

Just remember these repair shops don't keep 3 or 4 cans of 2 cycle mix around.

I would only be concerned about the Lawn Boy, they have loose tolerence and need more oil.

do this. use stihl at 40-1 mix for 2 wks in all your 2 cycles. next mix 50-1 and 90 or above octane. use that two wks.
see which one is less trouble and runs cleaner. i did that so i know what i think.
the possible place i might make an exception would be on real old equipment that i was really going to run hard several hrs a day .i know what works for me and really solved my 2 cycle problems ,almost completely.
ill qualify my self as a regular user of this stuff and not a mechanic.. 50-1

I converted everything over to 32:1 earlier this year when I switched to this ratio for my bigger saws. I also use synthetic oil instead of petroleum-based, although this shouldn't be necessary. I've had no problems with anything thus far.

The Lawn Boy oil is probably not suitable for your other higher performance 2-cycle engines. Trash the Lawn Boy oil and use a good oil at 40-1. I use Stihl oil at 40-1 in every two cycle engine I've owned for the last 5-6 years. I used Echo oil before that, in everything.
Multiple cans are a waste and only benefit the companies who stick their name on the bottle and sell it to you.

Lawn Boy = large tolerances?

Don't want to stir anything up here but a couple of you made "matter of fact" statements that Lawn Boy incorporates large tolerances in their engines which justifies the 32:1 spec for fuel/oil ratio in them. I am just curious - do you know this as a fact? Where are they big in tolerance as opposed to Stihl, Echo, Husky? Are you referring to the old, good Lawnboy engines which were made by OMC or the not so good new ones made today which are not OMC?

I doubt the new lawnboys have sloppy tolerances as people have suggested. They wouldnt last as long as they do if they did. Things are dang neer bullet proof.
Eyeolf, lawnboy factory oil (excellant mosquito killer) is not a iso egd oil. It is ashless so that precludes it from meeting the certs.

I can tell you, the lawnboy engines are loose. I work on them all the time. Not what i would want in an engine thats for sure. aside from the fact they are the worst lawnmower invented.

Right on!! Mine is from 1976 & has been through hell & back & i still use it. Been rebuilt a few times, but she still does the job.

I would not consider anything but a lawnboy. Only way to wreck one is not mix the fuel right. Where else can you get a steel sleeved motor, besides a commercial grade one ??

Lets see a plain jane briggs, or tecumseh go 26 years & still run strong, even after commercial use.

I have an OMC Lawnboy, I bought new 19yrs ago. For maintenence, I've gone through 2 plugs, cleaned the carb a few times and replaced the primer once. For the last couple of years I have been using Stihl oil mixed 40:1 and it runs great.

Hmmm.. maybe Jim is refering to the needle bearings in most of the LB's. Needle main bearings tend to be looser than ball bearings. However lawn boys do last a long time if maintained properly I have a 1976 one thats still going strong. Got a newer one for free from a guy that ran it without an airfilter I rinsed out the case. It does have some scoring on the exhaust side but it will run great. I'd say it has to be pretty tough to take that.

And on the mix I would go 32:1 in everything with good quality oil. Its worth it to run the extra oil.

My Dad uses a 1957 Lawnboy with "Iron Horse" engine. Still runs strong, and no problems at all. He has been using a 32:1 mix in this without any issues.

BWalker suggests that the new Lawnboy oil is ashless, but not ISO L-EGD. Probably right, but I have seen somebody's private branded oil recently that surprised me as being "the good stuff"

I second the notion that Lawnboys are notorious for longevity. Really only two things that kill 'em...gas, and never cleaning out the muffler/exhaust port. That said, I think piston skirt clearance range is on the order of .009-.017, out of round is something like .010 before replacement is mandated. Rod big-end is a "feel and look" thing...if it looks or feels bad, replace.

Try that on your average Husky or Stihl, LOL.

Of course the specific output on thge Lawnboy is maybe 30% of the equivalent chainsaw.

I run 32:1 in all of my two strokes. I use a ratio rite when mixing so I don't have to guess. I only run Maxima castor 927 ('cause it smells like I'm running nitro) or Maxima K2 full synthetic. I don't have research or hard data to back this up but I have been told by numerous engineers, builders and mechanics that the reason manufacturers went to 50:1 is due to EPA mandates.
Thats my 2 cents.:cool:

Back