50cc and 70cc Stihl and Husqvarna 026/260/346xp and 044/372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings all,
Been lurking around these forums for a while and now that I am throwing around the idea of buying some saws, figured I would start posting for more specific answers.

Am considering a 50cc and 70cc and am most familiar with Stihl and Husky. Don't really have a preference for either.
Mostly thinking of 026/260 346xp and 044/372xp. Whatever I can get the best deal on lightly used or quality rebuild
Not sure what the going rates are for these, but I have seen several large Ebay rebuilders selling in a range that I could get both for around $800 or so, but not sure if that is the best place to get one.

One has several rebuilt 026's for around the $300 mark, and with my Ebay bucks of 10% back, that seems kind of tempting. But that ends tonight.

Had considered buying cheap and rebuilding myself, but if I am honest with myself I don't have the time.

Been skimming through them. Just not yet in the know of what is a good deal these days.

Thanks, not really familiar with dolmar saws.
Mostly picked the ones above because I am somewhat familiar with the models. But then there are the details which make some variants more valuable then others that I am trying to learn.
From what I gather non e tech and non-xtorq on the Husky's?
early 026's have better mufflers, but later models and 260s have better air filters?

I found a listing with an older 026 that I am thinking about sending an offer on.
What doth the better saw make? The better muffler or better air filter? :)

What has better anti-vibe 346 or 026/260?

Absolute speed doesn't matter as much to me as light weight and comfortable use.

From what I looked up both the 346 and 026/260 are almost exactly 11lb
I can't seem to find consistent numbers on the weight of the 044,440,441, magnum variants. But the 372xp looks to be right at 14lb

I've had an 026 and now have a 346, I agree that the weight seems about the same. The 346 is snappier response and a little more power, a big selling point for me is you can remove the top cover without removing screws on the 346. That's handy in the field.

If you go for the 026, check if it has both high and low adjustments on the carb and adjustable oiler. Not all have those options but the pro models should.

Op just my opinion. But the 372 044 are light and nimble, kinda eliminates the 50c.c class for me. Cut twice as fast and less bending over. Good 70c.c. saw, and a good top handle be more sensible. Just my opinion. Had a 044 served me well for years. Have had 2 372's love both saws. But husky is my favorite. Then ad a 288 Or 395

372 OE is more revvy and easier to get gains with when modified. The X-Torq and XPW are better suited for longer bars.

The only interesting 372 model would be for me the XPW and not because of the heated handles.

Although there are so many alternatives for me besides the models above that I would choose. Simply because I am getting MUCH more for my money.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Most of the 346xp that I saw were in the $350-$450 range.
For $250 I picked up a lightly used Stihl 026.
That gives me a lot more room to try to find a 372xp/044 and stay under $700.

Thanks but I think I will hold out. I could always put the bigger top end on it but that would cost more than my budget.

Latest posts

Back