5105 rev limiting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changing the rpm limit below what is optimal without doing other changes makes no sense to me, but I have a hunch about why they did it. Hopefully, they made other changes as well....

That's basically what I'm getting at. Either they are not a 14,300-14,500 RPM saw, or tuning to 13,500 is leaving a lot of power on the table. One or the other.

What changes might that be??

I have no idea, apart from the obvious - the performance will not be optimal with the same cylinder porting and carb, and a carb setting that basically is too rich.

Also, I have no indication that 14,400 is too high on my 5100.

Last edited:
That's basically what I'm getting at. Either they are not a 14,300-14,500 RPM saw, or tuning to 13,500 is leaving a lot of power on the table. One or the other.

Ok, now I get what you were getting at.

FWIW the PS5000 sold in Europe and here was the 5100S with the 13,500 (or 13,800) RPM limited coil (and a different crank) so they've been selling a 'detuned' version for years. [edit] and it has the same cylinder and carb.

It's no biggie for anyone that can actually tune a two stroke, and stops the average punter burning up a saw, as we all know happened to (apparently) far too many 5100S's.

Last edited:
PS-5105SC vs PS-5105C

There are two versions of the PS-5105 out there.

Early models have the 14,500 coil and the standard recoil like the PS-5100s.

Later models (Easy Start) have a 13,800 coil, Easy Start recoil & push to stop switch (like on the PS-420) but also have a different crankshaft. You can not take a 14,500 coil and install it on this saw.

There are two different 14,500 coils for these saws. One fits the PS-5100s and one fits the PS-5105. Main difference is the length of plug wire on the coil. 5105 coil has a shorter spark plug wire.

Right now I have a bunch of PS-5105's in stock with the 14,500 coil and regular recoil and have some PS-5105 Easy Start's on order.

Later models (Easy Start) have a 13,800 coil, Easy Start recoil & push to stop switch (like on the PS-420) but also have a different crankshaft. You can not take a 14,500 coil and install it on this saw.

There are two different 14,500 coils for these saws. One fits the PS-5100s and one fits the PS-5105. Main difference is the length of plug wire on the coil. 5105 coil has a shorter spark plug wire.

Right now I have a bunch of PS-5105's in stock with the 14,500 coil and regular recoil and have some PS-5105 Easy Start's on order.

Other than what you mentioned above, has there been any other changes to your knowledge?

My saw has the easy start, so I guess that means a 13800 rev limiter. I guess tuning it in the wood is my only option. I agree with brad though, Leaving a saw set at 13500 when it's advertised to run 14500 just isn't right. The optimum fuel mixture should be when it's set to 14200-14500.

i own the new version with easy start and 13.800 rpm too.

if you want better accelaration, i would prefer to take a 8 pin rim for higher chain speed as i did. not so high rpm brings more torque, if you have the full bar in the wood. as my dealer always says, your high speed husis are very nice, but what ist the high rpm good for? if you compare the chain speed specs of 346 und 5105 (18,5 to 19,3) he maybe could be right. we don't need to discuss now, what saw handels so much better ..........

They should at least change their advertizing.........

They haven't changed the original weight spec from the original 5000/5100S one either, even though that one was "optimistic", and later models obviously gained weight....;)

i own the new version with easy start and 13.800 rpm too.

if you want better accelaration, i would prefer to take a 8 pin rim for higher chain speed as i did. not so high rpm brings more torque, if you have the full bar in the wood. as my dealer always says, your high speed husis are very nice, but what ist the high rpm good for? if you compare the chain speed specs of 346 und 5105 (18,5 to 19,3) he maybe could be right. we don't need to discuss now, what saw handels so much better ..........

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but an 8 pin 3/8 is too much for this saw. Remember an 8 pin 3/8 sprocket will give you about 15% increase in chain speed, but it will also reduce torque by about the same amount.

What's the reason for the crank and rpm change? I'm guessing durability.

Back