5105 rev limiting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took a look at the parts diagrams for both the 5100 and 5105. They seem identical in every aspect, even part numbers. Guess they haven't updated that either............

Other than what you mentioned above, has there been any other changes to your knowledge?

Just a small change to the air filter.

My saw has the easy start, so I guess that means a 13800 rev limiter. I guess tuning it in the wood is my only option. I agree with brad though, Leaving a saw set at 13500 when it's advertised to run 14500 just isn't right. The optimum fuel mixture should be when it's set to 14200-14500.

Check your owners manual it should say 13,800 unless the dealer gave you a older manual.

They should at least change their advertizing.........

There are both models in distribution and at dealers. The Dolmar website will be changed in the near future.

i own the new version with easy start and 13.800 rpm too.

if you want better accelaration, i would prefer to take a 8 pin rim for higher chain speed as i did. not so high rpm brings more torque, if you have the full bar in the wood. as my dealer always says, your high speed husis are very nice, but what ist the high rpm good for? if you compare the chain speed specs of 346 und 5105 (18,5 to 19,3) he maybe could be right. we don't need to discuss now, what saw handels so much better ..........

.325-8?

They haven't changed the original weight spec from the original 5000/5100S one either, even though that one was "optimistic", and later models obviously gained weight....;)

Never said Dolmar's marketing dept was the best.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but an 8 pin 3/8 is too much for this saw. Remember an 8 pin 3/8 sprocket will give you about 15% increase in chain speed, but it will also reduce torque by about the same amount.

He's probably running .325-8

What's the reason for the crank and rpm change? I'm guessing durability.

Crank change was to go with the coil/flywheel/starter setup.

I just took a look at the parts diagrams for both the 5100 and 5105. They seem identical in every aspect, even part numbers. Guess they haven't updated that either............

This is from the PS-5105 page at www.dolmarpowerproducts.com
http://download.dolmar.com/manuals/17761.pdf

Your right 166. I looked in the owners manual and it says 13800 max rpm. I guess I should look in the owners manual more. I just assumed this ran the same rpms as the older models of 5100. Kinda dissappointing though. Now this saw is running the same rpms as the 510.If I'd a known that I would have just went with a 510 and save the extra 100.00

Your right 166. I looked in the owners manual and it says 13800 max rpm. I guess I should look in the owners manual more. I just assumed this ran the same rpms as the older models of 5100. Kinda dissappointing though. Now this saw is running the same rpms as the 510.If I'd a known that I would have just went with a 510 and save the extra 100.00

I totally understand what you're saying and I'd be disappointed as well. The 5105 is a good bang for the buck, but it simply can't compete with the 346 or the new 261 in any other way IMHO. The 7900 is a different story, it's the king of it's class.

With that said one must understand the rpm's in the wood is what matters, not the no load rpm. The 5105 is likely going to hold it's rpm's in wood much better than a 510, this is because it has more power.

i own the new version with easy start and 13.800 rpm too.

if you want better accelaration, i would prefer to take a 8 pin rim for higher chain speed as i did. not so high rpm brings more torque, if you have the full bar in the wood. as my dealer always says, your high speed husis are very nice, but what ist the high rpm good for? if you compare the chain speed specs of 346 und 5105 (18,5 to 19,3) he maybe could be right. we don't need to discuss now, what saw handels so much better ..........

The "chain speed" in the specs is totally irrelevant, it is just a function of the theoretical max power rpm + the pitch of the chain and rim size they put into the calculation.

At higher rpm, the chain speed can be much faster! ;)

thats what i did and im very happy with the 510. it works very well.been cutting big red oak and it cut like butter.even with the 20 inch bar burried.

pretty dissapointed with my 5105 so far. I'm on my 6th tank of fuel and the power isn't as great as I would have hoped. My 346 that I had before this saw would have ate this saw's lunch! I'm gonna run this saw for the winter, but if it doesn't get any better it's gonna find a new home this spring.

Back