543xp vs 241cm Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FL_Cutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, looking at both saw and can't decide. I can't put my hands on either saw in my area I'm a diehard Husky guy or the choice would be easy. I'm a tech at a rental company and we are a Stihl dealer. Not so much chainsaws but more industrial they classify it. Both saw are within $5 of each other for me. I'm looking for someone who has side by side experience with them. I know the 241 is a great saw and if the husky runs with it then I'd be very happy with it. BTW 545 is out had one didn't care alot for autotune. It had small issues. I prefer a reg carb.

I know I am not contributing to the answer you seek, but in that size range it's kind of hard to avoid AT/M-tronic in a "pro" type saw these days..

Might swing over to the tradin' post?? I have seen a few 346xp's on there recently for pretty fair prices, in fact about the same or a little less than what I have seen the 543xp's priced at.. Seems like that might be what the Doc ordered for you... Same size range as your old 545, little more power, conventional carb... Plus you would be a member of the elite 346xp owners club! ;)

Thanks I know the 241 is "autotune" but I have the software at work to work on it so not such a big deal. But that is another reason for me to lean toward the 543.

I've considered a 346, just got bug for one of these "little" guys. You know ole' CAD flair up lol

Copy that Sir... Mine has been flaring up lately as well... But I'm yearning to head the other direction. I have been fixing saws for a few friends and they are starting to throw some money at me... Probably going to squirrel away some to save for a 394 builder project..

I'll stop junking up your thread now.. Good luck with your decision. :)

Which one can u push on a little bit if needed? Can they handle it even?

Well your a husky guy and I'm a husky guy so go with the 241 lol. But you will hate the flippy caps! Here is my take on them. The stihl is stronger much much smoother and has a little better air filter. It comes with 3/8 lp chain which I feel is better for the 40cc saws vs the .325 on the 543. The stihl has spring AV the 543 is rubber. 241 has one bar nut that is captive, the 543 has 2 and are not captive, the 543 to my knowledge only comes with a mesh air filter. Things the 543 is better at, smaller a bit more nimble, has an auto return stop switch, a metal handle, comes with a rim sprocket vs the spur on the 241. The 241 is a bit faster, and you can push on it more but I think if you could get a 3/8 lp on the 543 it would out cut the 241. I just seen you didn't like the 545 and autotune, don't judge them by one bad Apple. I've got a 435 543xp 241 346xp and 550xp. If I could have only one saw below 70cc it would be the 550xp what were your issues with the 545?

Thanks pro94lt! My autotune saw had random idle and random shutting off. Seemed if u letting off the throttle too fast at times it would cut off. It was just annoying. I sold it to a friend and he loves it, go figure lol. I'm just not sure if I can put a Stihl in my stable...I'm interested in the 3/8 lp on the 543 too. Did u find it take a few tanks for the 543 to break in and be a good runner?

The 543 was the worst out of the box saw I've ever bought. It really does wake up after a dozen tanks or so and I never found a rim to convert it to 3/8 lp. well as I write this I see baileys offers a 1/4 pitch carvers package...

Is the rims size an odd ball on the 543? I had thought 3/8lp sprockets were not very hard to find

The best idea if possible is to get them both, I have heard many things on this site about how good/bad husky and stihl saws are but most would agree the 545xp & 241cm are great models. Get them both and you won't be forever wondering if you made the right choice. When you decide which one you like most, sell the other one to me for 2\3 of new price. l love minty low hr saws, I can even tell you what oil I'd like you to run. Whats more important here is how you set it up b/c wise and how well you can file a chain. That is what will make either of these two saws high performers. Winner winner chicken dinner!!

I'm totally aware and ok with it being a redmax/zenoah type saw. I've never owned one though. Many, many good things come out of Japan in my opinion, Toyota, vanguard engines blah, blah blah. Its china that sucks lol Honestly I'm still learning toward the 543 and will probably order one in the next couple days. I'll post it up when I get it.

Back