55 Rancher won't start on pull but will with fuel into the cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtGenerator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a homeowner who's been lurkin' and learnin' at this site. Great info.
I'm having a problem with my Husky 55 Rancher 2004 edition. It suddenly wouldn't start. I found the kill switch had broken off somehow and must have been closed. I replaced the switch along with some missing/broken plastic parts (choke lever, handle filler plate, chain catcher). Still couldn't start the saw.

I changed out the spark plug, did my best to clean the air filter (still waiting on a new one), confirmed spark (new plug) by setting the plug on the cylinder.

When I added a little Seafoam to the cylinder through the spark plug hole, and pulled, it started. Smoked a lot at first then settled down to smoke a little more than I remembered in prior use. It ran fine and I shut it down and put it away.

Next time I went to use it I got an initial burp when I pulled the cord, but nothing on subsequent pulls. Again I pulled the plug and squirted in a little Seafoam and it started again.

I'm now only able to start it in that manner.

How might I restore the ability to start the saw via the starter handle?

Any/all feedback would be appreciated.

Has the carb been cleaned? When did it run normally?

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

I haven't cleaned the carb. I had it off while replacing some of the parts on the saw and it looked clear and clean, but what do I know.
How might I go about cleaning the carb?

As for "when did it run normally" it had been locked up for a while and I confess to having left fuel in the tank. Probably stored for a few months without being used.

I would get a rebuild kit off eBay, some carb cleaner, and compressed air. Don't replace any screens just clean what's in there, change everything else in the carb.You can try cleaning and what's there first and make sure the diaphragms aren't hard to flex and hope for the best Before a kit. Check fuel lines and filter in tank also

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Carb kits are cheap, and aftermarket carbs aren't much more. I bet the diaphragm in the carb had hardened. It will pump enough fuel to cough once in a while, but not good enough to pump fuel on a cold start.

My local dealers always tack on a few to make their money, I don't mind eBay kits, never had a prob with them

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Thanks, I'll break down the saw, get the carb model number and order a kit. Procarbine2K1, you are right an aftermarket carb isn't much more than a kit.

CARBURETOR:
ecblank.gif
Walbro WT-170
ZAMA C1Q-EL6, C1Q-EL7

MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
ecblank.gif
K20-WAT for Walbro
RB-45 for Zama

MINOR REPAIR KIT:
ecblank.gif
D10-WAT for Walbro
GND-33 for Zama

:D Al

Those are good saws tough as nails heavily overlooked I have one similar in age mine came through with rim setup I've since switched it out to a .325 rim saw is better that way Sounds like a cracked fuel line to me check them out

CARBURETOR:
ecblank.gif
Walbro WT-170
ZAMA C1Q-EL6, C1Q-EL7

MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
ecblank.gif
K20-WAT for Walbro
RB-45 for Zama

MINOR REPAIR KIT:
ecblank.gif
D10-WAT for Walbro
GND-33 for Zama

Alleyooper, are those carbs interchangable? My saw has a Zama, but it looks like the Walbro's are cheaper and don't seem to have the stops on the carb adjustment. I'm thinking swap out the carb and rebuild the one "off the saw".

Jakethesnake,
Good point about "would you ever use the spare?" Probably not, but I'd have a running saw while I teach myself all the ways to screw up rebuilding a carb with a kit for the Zama.
Just today, I had it apart to check the carb model and clean it (without disassembling it) and I managed to strip out the a curly length of plastic with one on the bolts holding the carb to the Bulkhead assembly. Now it won't torque down too tight.
I checked out the fuel line while I had it apart as suggested by Efisher 26 above. It might be leaking a little, so I've ordered one of those along with a replacement Bulkhead assy.
I guess after 10 years plus, a few bucks on parts is expected. Since I bought it I've only had to replace the chain brake until the recent flurry of broken plastic (kill switch, choke lever, handle). Hell I think it was still on its original fuel filter till this past week.
The good news is that after re-assembling, it started right up on a few pulls.

There is a way to temporarily fix the bulkhead. Get a small zip tie and stick it down in the hole. Then put the screw down in there and tighten it down. Im sure it won't fix it forever, but it allowed me to tighten mine down until my new bulkhead comes in

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Since both carb were listed for that saw I supposed you could use either carb.

I'm finding no aftermarket Zama carbs, but plenty of the Walbro knockoffs. I'm only concerned that the throttle linkage might be different. Does anyone know for certain that these two (three) are interchangable?

Walbro WT-170
ZAMA C1Q-EL6, C1Q-EL7

PS Alleyooper, when you say they are "listed" where are you finding such a listing?

JT, If you have it running after rebuilding it don't worry so much for a new one. Pull the limiters off of you adjustment needles and tune the saw if necessary. Look up some videos on you tube for proper tuning procedure.

JT, If you have it running after rebuilding it don't worry so much for a new one. Pull the limiters off of you adjustment needles and tune the saw if necessary. Look up some videos on you tube for proper tuning procedure.
Jr27236 I tsted it again this evening. It started on the first pull fom a cold condition but died within a minute or so I could not get it to kick over again. I am waiting on new plastic bulkhead parts as i strpped out one of th sides of the carb securing bolts.
I don't know if the failure to start could be because of an airleak on the carb mount or not.
The carb rebuild kit is on order.
Waiting on parts during the holiday season is a pain but what can one do.
One of my part orders ordered on november 14 is still "in transit."

Latest posts

Back