55 Rancher won't start on pull but will with fuel into the cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the bulkhead screws are stripped, do not run saw until the bulkhead is replace. The saw will suck air and will score the piston, and it dont take long at full throttle to do so. I have used oversized screws to replace the striped ones to get by in a pinch. The walbro carbs fit the older 55's. They will bolt directly in place of the zama carbs, all choke and throttle linkage will work. Dont know that one brand carb is better the the other as I have walbro and zama on a pair of 55s I use. The zama carbs have the plastic limiting cabs but they can just be popped off to allow a full range of adjustment.

Jr27236 I tsted it again this evening. It started on the first pull fom a cold condition but died within a minute or so I could not get it to kick over again. I am waiting on new plastic bulkhead parts as i strpped out one of th sides of the carb securing bolts.
I don't know if the failure to start could be because of an airleak on the carb mount or not.
The carb rebuild kit is on order.
Waiting on parts during the holiday season is a pain but what can one do.
One of my part orders ordered on november 14 is still "in transit."
Oh crap, just looked at your profile. HAWAII damn, where did you order from (country).

If the bulkhead screws are stripped, do not run saw until the bulkhead is replace. The saw will suck air and will score the piston, and it dont take long at full throttle to do so. I have used oversized screws to replace the striped ones to get by in a pinch. The walbro carbs fit the older 55's. They will bolt directly in place of the zama carbs, all choke and throttle linkage will work. Dont know that one brand carb is better the the other as I have walbro and zama on a pair of 55s I use. The zama carbs have the plastic limiting cabs but they can just be popped off to allow a full range of adjustment.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the airleak ramifications. I'll leave it alone till the parts come in. If the Walpro carbs will work, I'l order an aftermarket carb from ebay today.

Oh crap, just looked at your profile. HAWAII damn, where did you order from (country).

I've been ordering from a N American supplier (ereplacementparts.com) where I not only get pretty good info and pricing, but they ship US Postal Service. My first order arrived in about 4 days, my second order has taken nine days and counting. The third order I bumped it up to Priority mail (3 bucks more) and should see it by thursday or friday.
Shipping to Hawaii is often more expensive than the product ordered. Especially outfits who only ship fedex or ups. The smallest order will often carry a $55.00 shipping charge
Postal service parcel post ships "surface" think slow boat to HI. Priority mail is the sweet spot. Same rate to all states and ships via them newfangled aereoplanes.

I like ereplacements.com

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

I've been ordering from a N American supplier (ereplacementparts.com) where I not only get pretty good info and pricing, but they ship US Postal Service. My first order arrived in about 4 days, my second order has taken nine days and counting. The third order I bumped it up to Priority mail (3 bucks more) and should see it by thursday or friday.
Shipping to Hawaii is often more expensive than the product ordered. Especially outfits who only ship fedex or ups. The smallest order will often carry a $55.00 shipping charge
Postal service parcel post ships "surface" think slow boat to HI. Priority mail is the sweet spot. Same rate to all states and ships via them newfangled aereoplanes.
Well in that case of s/h. Make sure you go over what ever saw you are working on a make a complete list of all parts needed on one order. I've been guilty of screwing myself a couple of times on that myself and had to eat additional charges because I forgot to order something the first go around.

I finally received my parts this week and today replaced the carb and the bulkhead with the stripped screwhole.
Fired up the saw this evening and it sounded healthy. I'll tune it tommorrow and get it back to work.
Thanks to all who chimed in with advice and/or suggestions. Your input has made me much more confident in addressing this on my own. Mahalo!

Back